Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEX HKG LOA is out, and boy is it funny...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Um...I don't think this pig is passing. Not unless there is some serious spin and new info. I'm still gathering data--but leaning strongly "no". However--on other boards--the polls show a 90/10 no vote.

Voting No

I am interested in going overseas later in my Fedex career after the kids are out of the house...probably CDG. I am voting no.

This package is about 50% of what a mid-level exec in any US corp. is getting to take an overseas assignment. It is also about 35% less than an USAF O6-7 (equivalent pay to a wide body FO) would get to serve in Europe.

I've spent about 11 years total in Europe and SW Asia. I lived in Holland next door to a Connoco mid-level (made about 80'k a year) manager. He received a Euro-based COLA of around 1'k a month for groceries, local taxes and the co. paid his rent/utilities directly (around $3500 for a 3 bedroom duplex). His house was selected for him b4 he arrived with his family. His kids went to an international school nearby at about 25'k a year per child, paid directly by the company. Free trip home every year. Co. also paid his EU income tax and he still was able to take his US foreign earnd income exclusion.

Not even close, what was our negotiating committee thinking? They should have been talking to some of us expats.

just checked the dod's oha rate (overseas housing allowance) and E-1 with dependents gets roughly $6000 in hongkong. apparently a fedex pilot rates less than half of the lowest ranking military member.

Having lived in Japan and Hawaii (...both high cost areas in the Pacific) for over 13 1/2 yrs, I agree --- the package doesn't look comprehensive enough to attract anyone besides the very junior without school age kids looking for a quick upgrade or very senior pilot looking for adventure.

No school funding?

No provision for COLA or housing rates based on the exchange rates --- does that make sense at all?

What type of total pilot #s are they looking for?

I guess if they can attract that many with a min run program then it works from the company's perspective --- but that doesn't seem like something the union should be agreeing to do.

Compared to what even mid-grade military officers get overseas every allowance (housing, HHG weights, etc) seem very skimpy.

What "benchmarks" did the union use to decide the terms in the LOA were acceptable?

I am very interested to see an MEC presentation addressing these issues.

Let's not agree to something which sets a huge precedence just to get the next bid on the street --- patience is still a virtue.

No No No

You should do your housing research a little better. $8000 USD + would be an ultra high end place in the heart of the city. A quick search and I see that average high priced places are $15,000 HKG or about $2000 USD per month.

http://hongkong.craigslist.org/apa/

1 USD = 7.81659 HKD
Money conversion:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
Your $2000 USD per month apartments on that website will barely get you 800 sq ft of living space. I'm voting NO!!!!

I'm in the NO category. I wouldn't touch this domicile with a 10-foot pole, but I am voting no because we set a seriously sub-standard precedent if it passes.

Here is a link to the military OHA table for Hong Kong.
http://141.116.74.201/appendix-k/PDF/Hong_Kong.pdf

Makes you wonder if anyone in on the LOA negotiation looked at this stuff or just bought what the company told them.

Baron,

That is what everyone in SFS is asking themselves. The only NO vote is the one that lives in a FDA and knows all to well how bad this LOA truely is. But do the research for yourself. LOA(LaidOffAgain) Ha I get it, sorry just got in from a trip and a little slow!

I hear Shenzhen is nice this time of year...

Well, actually, it's a $hithole year round but it's affordable. ;) TC

P.S.--Don't sell out your newbies. They'll be voting on your retiree benefits one day. :)

I think FO's at Cathay get around HKD 52000/month if they decide to buy a unit. Also, childrens education is 90% covered.

Latest resources

Back