Fedex down in LBB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F-27 is busy following the steam engine into the history books

Thats too bad. Although I don't have all the info on my friends accident, I do think it would have been less likely to happen in the good ol' solid F-27. Even though it doesn't have a lick of glass or anything in it designed past the 1940's, there is rarely a pilot who doesn't list it as one of the best airplanes he/she ever flew.

As for the ATR, it's all sorts of screwy, impossibly labor intensive to hand fly and because of it's many incidents and accidents has been modified over 10,000 times. It's an o.k. fair weather transport but when its really bad outside I think every pilot wishes he was flying something different.

If it went down short of the approach lights, then based on that METAR I'd guess tailplane icing to be a likely culprit (again).

The good ole Fokker had a nice big horizontal stab- like an extra wing. It flew like a Peterbuilt drives.

If it went down short of the approach lights, then based on that METAR I'd guess tailplane icing to be a likely culprit (again).

The good ole Fokker had a nice big horizontal stab- like an extra wing. It flew like a Peterbuilt drives.
Wasn't the F built by Peterbilt in the US?

The Fokker wasn't built, it was poured.

CE

i see your name and i get get hungry. i totaly got faked out when i saw a sign in OK and then realized it was watson burger not nearly as greasy and good.

i remember when empire was trying crush the f-27 and sell it for scrap and the comercial crusher was having a very hard time at it.

Last edited:
Glad that the crew is okay.

Thats too bad. Although I don't have all the info on my friends accident, I do think it would have been less likely to happen in the good ol' solid F-27. Even though it doesn't have a lick of glass or anything in it designed past the 1940's, there is rarely a pilot who doesn't list it as one of the best airplanes he/she ever flew.

As for the ATR, it's all sorts of screwy, impossibly labor intensive to hand fly and because of it's many incidents and accidents has been modified over 10,000 times. It's an o.k. fair weather transport but when its really bad outside I think every pilot wishes he was flying something different.

I never flew the F-27, but my dad did. I just rode around on them as a kid. By the time I was old enough to be asking the right questions he had retired after 12 or more years on the DC-9 (which he loved) and he didn't seem that enthralled with the Fokker.

I did inherit his F-27 manual though...in one of those old fashioned, blue cloth covered three ring binders with "Fairchild F-27" embossed on the cover. His airline slipped their first orders to West Coast so they could get the next series with bigger engines...I always thought the f-27 "looked right".

But when I watched the ATR's on the ramp in STL they looked like just what they are. A good idea that spent too much time being engineered by too many people who had lost sight of what the hell they were trying to do in the first place!

Last edited:
A good idea that spent too much time being engineered by too many people who had lost sight of what the hell they were trying to do in the first place!

Exactly, a design by commitee (French and Italians).

Reminds me of how the SR-71 was designed almost soley by one guy: Kelly Johnson of Skunkworks. And what a kick @ss machine it turned out to be.

The Fokker wasn't built, it was poured.

CE

You got that right! Any airplane that was built with the idea of replacing DC-3's has to be tough as nails.

I have close to 3k hours in the whistle-pig, with a good chunk of it in SE Alaska. That thing will carry ice all day long and not complain.

Latest resources

Back