Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
active_herk said:
VaB,

Just out of curiosity sake, let's say we are given a signing bonus instead of retro pay, but the UNION (not the company) tells us that the signing bonus is the exact same amount that the retro pay would have been, and that all the people who would have been afforded payment under retro pay will receive the signing bonus (for example those who have retired and those who have left for other reasons). Let's also say that they have negotiated it so that all the tax implications are the same as well. They have also ensured that retirement calculations (high 5, B plan contributions, etc.) are exactly the same. In other words, in the unions eyes it IS EXACTLY THE SAME except for the name, would you still be against it?
Alright, alright. I've had a few grilling beers since the posts above and have come back to earth a bit. I rescind what I said about not reading the thing, but I will be a bit more skeptical of the bonus vice retro. I mean, that was the war cry we have been singing since Day 1. William Wallace had "Freedom!!!" and we, FedEx ALPA, have had "One more day of retro pay". But I shall remain open-minded and closed-mouth.

Someone admitting they are wrong on FI? Got to be a first.

Champ42272 said:
Gentlemen,

Second, I don't want Retro Pay. I want a signing bonus. Here is the reason. Retro pay means "amended" 2004 and 2005 W-2 statements which requires us to file amended returns. It is a huge pain in the a$$ (I had to file an amended return this year for 2005 after the company got a ruling from IRS that Workmens Comp was not tax deductible).

What do you think?

Champ42272

Wrong, wrong, oh so wrong!;)

VaB said:
I rescind what I said about not reading the thing, but I will be a bit more skeptical of the bonus vice retro. I mean, that was the war cry we have been singing since Day 1.

My MEC speaks for me and THANK YOU to those that have dedictated their time and effort to making this TA happen. And to all those AVA, DFT, extra flying whores out there you owe everyone more than a beer or two. You know who you are too.

First, read the entire contract and judge it for what it is or is not.

Second, Yes, retro was our war cry (and still is in my book) but we had to have some kind of slogan.

DON'T GET HUNG UP ON WHAT IT IS CALL, signing bonus v retro pay, as long as the dollar amount is a correct and accurate figure of what we would have earned since the amendable date.

Of course I would like it to be called retro pay but if the company has to write a fat check for the delay then call it whatever the he!! you want to.

You can just call it the "boat fund..." and send the d@mn check.

Beers, beers, beers for the negotiating committee...and the P2P guys, and the strategic awareness guru (Sleepy), the block reps, and the committe guys too. It was a group effort.

Awful proud of those guys who flew 100% and no more since June. That's easy for some of us with ANG jobs, but to those guys who just sucked it up...no kidding...thank you.

Like SNIZ says...I'm very interested in the work rule improvements. I bid abou 50% on my seat, but yet got my 27th out of 30 slot for recurrent training this month. Its not the first time I've been blindsided with little things like that. None of those annoyances make this a "bad" job, but seeing the improvements to the small stuff like that will make life much smoother under the next contract. I hope to see some improvements in scheduling, subsitution, and open time rules when I finally get to peek at the TA. I didn't think healthcare was a big deal--until I needed an out of network neurosurgeon last year--I'm interested in seeing what the next contract offers. I don't understand SCOPE, but I'm confident the guys that do put in a good effort to protect our long term security.

Again--thanks to the union workhorses, and to the bros who supported them...

Albie15 ... Whaa??
June??? I haven't flown extra in almost two years... Memphis based...no guard/reserve...you mean you rat b@st@rds have only been serious about this since June?
Somanabiotch!!

Retro/Bonus Calc Re-Attack

Ah...now that we have the naming thing settled. Anybody wanna QC my hypothetical calculation a few posts back? Thx.

VaB said:
Someone admitting they are wrong on FI? Got to be a first.

Ban him! BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer:

They can call it my Lollipop and Pedicure Restitution Fund for all I care; if the numbers add up to Yrs x Hours x Pay x 7% (basically what we were asking for) then it's fine by me.

But give me some increased B-fund, a better trip-rig and better healthcare or you can stick your Lollipop and Pedicure Restitution Fund right up your a$$!!!!

:)

LJ,

I have over 1100 hours in my makeup bank--and I've haven't done a draft or AVA trip in over 2 years. I rarely even make my BLG... My name is our there and my calendar is unblocked--take a look.

My point was the FAMILY AWARENESS campaign started in June. That was when my "untrained" ears first heard the 100% and no more vibe. I have been flying 80% or less for years, so it really didnt' change my life very much.

While we are all in this together--it does seem the MD11 F/O crowd had the most leverage. Again...thanks.

SNIZ said:
Ah...now that we have the naming thing settled. Anybody wanna QC my hypothetical calculation a few posts back? Thx.

Ballpark it this way...

Our last contract was amendable JUN04, that was 27 months ago...

At the VERY LEAST figure roughly 2000 hrs of back pay. (8 months @ 68 hrs BLG + 4 months @ 86 hrs BLG = 888 hrs annually/12= 74/mon X 27=1998). Each month that goes by without a contract increase the figure by 74 hrs.

Multiple 2000 hrs X whatever your pay increase is (plus interest:) ) and you should be close.

Is this correct logic or am I missing something? Be nice!

Latest resources

Back