• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

fed ex june 19th....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it is a personal vendetta, then why is it OK to hire furloughees and not current pilots? I'd think it would be neither, or at least the other way around.

I don't think we'll ever get the true answer, so it's just academic at this point.

What I think we can agree to is that the current meet-n-greet system is broken. It seriously discriminates against commuters and military folks, along with wasting lots of people's time-including management and their staff.

Benjamin Dover said:
Boeing,

If you don't think the junior, but not furloughed, active "legacy" pilot also faces these same concerns about schedule and extremely long wait for captain then you also haven't studied history......

Sounds like you agree with JL....

Yeah, I know the junior employed dudes are in the same boat. Thanks for the history lesson.

I think there is an argument for hiring dudes on furlough. Once you get thrown out onto the street a year or two, your attitude is less friendly toward your previous airline.

And, no, I DO NOT AGREE with JL's policy. If you hire furloughees, all should be o.k. to hire. I'm surprised a lawsuit is not in the works.

Last edited:
A lawsuit for what? I'm not a lawyer, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...and the last time I checked, the EEOC doesn't say anything about excluding people that are currently employed at xyz company.

I could be very wrong. I'm just not a big fan of litigating everything that happens. Sueing (sp?) for every little "injustice" doesn't seem to be the way to go.

And, no I don't agree with the policy either, but there are a lot of policies that I don't agree with. I'm not going to take them to court over it.

TheBaron said:
Honestly.... yes, I would have left because FedEx was my ultimate goal. I agree with JL's policy. If FedEx wasn't good enough for you back then, we must not be what you really wanted. JL wants to hire people that want to spend their entire career here. When you get to be the man at the top...you can do what you think is fair.
In case you missed it, no one ever said life was fair.
I will agree, however, that the meet n' greet policy is not the way to go.

Thanks for an honest response Baron - finally someone agrees that the policy has nothing to do with some corporate "reach-around", but everything to do with "the man" , his thoughts about us legacy guys and a big sweeping assumption about us. Yep, you are correct life isn't fair - but it case you missed it, there has been a big change in the airline pilot career since 911. Is it not possible for one's career aspirations to change based on a changing work and economic evironment? After the tech bubble burst, should corporate America have collectivelly turned it's back on all those that chased the "dot com's" because "obviously company XYZ wasn't good enough for you when you went to work for company 123.com a few years ago, so we're not going to hire you now that they 'dot bombed.'" Times changed in the last 6 years Baron. Reasonable man theory would recognize this.

It's not that FedEx "wasn't good enough for us", but the airline gig was pretty good back then too. Now it's not, but that doesn't seem to matter. If we wound up at a major, then the assumption - by you and JL, is that FDX was not good enough for us back then, so you smugly thumb your nose at us. What about those that didn't meet FedEx mins back then? What about those like me that had our app in for 3 years with no call from FDX until on line somewhere else, and also others like me that were already on our 2nd or 3rd airline job, and chose to settle in.

So, good for you with the reverse crystal ball and you would have quit Delta to go to FedEx back in 1999, but I still say if you polled your purple crowd, most guys would have stayed at that point too. When did FedEx become your "ultimate goal" by the way - before or after 911?

I'm glad JL wants to hire pilots who want to spend their whole career there. They only way we could even start would be to resign, unlike the furloughed guys who burned FedEx when recalled 10 years ago. I would argue that we would be even more loyal employees than those from many other civ/mil sources. We've seen the good days, and seen it all go away. I think we as a group would be pretty motivated to work hard to help FedEx contintue its success, since we've all seen the "other" side.

Hoping for a Jack Lewis retirement party soon,

Ben

I have no idea what the past policy has been, but within the last month a current non-furloughed DAL guy was interviewed. I don't think they would have wasted his or their own time if they weren't going to consider him.

There are always exceptions - I had two UA guys and one AA guy in my new hire class and all three turned in their resignations the day prior to starting. And, get this, one guy asked Jack Lewis what it would take to get an interview. JL told him a letter from Fred Smith. This guy calls a family friend (ahem, Bill Clinton) who calls Fred who calls Jack. Proof once again that it's not what you know it's who you know. In the interest of full disclosure, my dad flew the line for 16 years, though I was right off AF AD when I got hired.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back