fed ex june 19th....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uppercrust said:
That really is too bad. What a stupid system. I guess the early connected bird gets the worm.

No kidding. It's nearly downright impossible to get through the door to get through the door to the interview. My sponsor tried all morning and never got through last time. I'll keep trying and keep up the faith.

Beertini said:
JL just stated that 'meet and greets are now stopped for a while, however, currently scheduled appointments will be honored.'

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but that is the latest news.

Beertini

When does Jack Lewis retire? You purple guys on here refer to "JL" as if he is some big hero, but my outside take is he is a d*ckhead. . No "legacy" carrier interviews just because it's "JL's" rule? And that policy is o.k. with the pilot group? I'm sure the flame will now begin on how JL or anyone there could care less what other airline guys think, and I would probably feel the same way, but I would not be on here continuing the JL lovefest. What - did JL get shot down at an airline in his past and now is his chance for payback since FDX is on top? Can't believe he is a Navy guy. Hope he is off to pasture soon and more reasonable man theory might creep into FDX hiring.

Ben,

That's pretty judgemental, unless you know Jack yourself. First, you're assuming that it is his idea and rule. Maybe, or perhaps he is enforcing company policy. In either case, as has been brought up here many times before, the policy of not hiring active legacy pilots is not because it is beneficial to FedEx; it is because it is harmfull to the legacy carriers. Now I can't guarantee that we have that 'agreement' with them, but let's analyze this.

Would you rather hire a pilot on furlough who could eventually go back to his old airline if they called and he so desired? Or would you rather hire someone who had to quit at the old airline, burning that bridge forever? The latter is certainly the prudent call for FedEx. Nevertheless, that would force the legacy to recall and train another pilot, wasting resources that they don't have right now.

Why we'd do it this way is over my head, probably a bean-counter driven move. They controll a lot more here than it appears.

Good luck in your job search.

The last meet-n-greet window my sponsor sat on hold for two hours and was told we had a spot then the next day was told only the people that showed up in Memphis that morning got slots for their guys/gals. I hope they can get this whole process figured out soon.

Purpled said:
First, you're assuming that it is his idea and rule. Maybe, or perhaps he is enforcing company policy.

It is his rule. He's said so several times.
Purpled said:
Would you rather hire a pilot on furlough who could eventually go back to his old airline if they called and he so desired? Or would you rather hire someone who had to quit at the old airline, burning that bridge forever? The latter is certainly the prudent call for FedEx. Nevertheless, that would force the legacy to recall and train another pilot, wasting resources that they don't have right now.

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at here. FedEX does hire furloughed legacy guys. There were 3 or 4 furloughed American guys in my class alone. I simply do not understand what-so-ever why we will hire a guy who is furloughed from United, American, Northwest, Delta, USAir, but will not hire someone who is actively employed by the same carrier.

Purpled said:
..... In either case, as has been brought up here many times before, the policy of not hiring active legacy pilots is not because it is beneficial to FedEx; it is because it is harmfull to the legacy carriers. Now I can't guarantee that we have that 'agreement' with them, but let's analyze this.

Would you rather hire a pilot on furlough who could eventually go back to his old airline if they called and he so desired? Or would you rather hire someone who had to quit at the old airline, burning that bridge forever? The latter is certainly the prudent call for FedEx.

Your logic, while sensible, simply does not result in actual policy.

I agree that hiring the legacy guy/gal actively employed is a slam dunk. No chance at recall. But the elephant (JL) never forgets.

JL, or someone higher, does not want current legacy pilots becuase they all have a 1999 or earlier DOH at their current airline (recent Delta callbacks excluded). That means they had their chance to continue to pursue FedEx (if indeed FedEx was their #1 choice) after they landed their pax job but they chose not to. JL knows it takes longer for FedEx to get to those guys but that appreciation ends when you stop trying.

That is why the no current legacy pilots policy exists. Yes to furloughed guys are a recent change to the 2001 policy (circa 2004).

That said, exceptions to the policy seem to be rampant. The common theme, though, is it is ALL about what is beneficial for FedEx. If you think for a second FedEx is worried about increasing training costs at a pax carrier, you haven't studied history. FedEx had hundreds of legacy resignation letters from Delta, UAL and AA furloughees that aren't worth the paper they were written on. They were not honored by the pax carriers as many left FedEx when recalled.

Don't poo poo this information just cause it comes from a SWA guy. I know more than you think I do. (More than I should)

Conjecture below:

My take is the furloughed pilot is facing such strenous reserve schedules and impossibly long waits for Capt that FedEx now feels they will value a FedEx job more than the alternative.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
Conjecture below:

My take is the furloughed pilot is facing such strenous reserve schedules and impossibly long waits for Capt that FedEx now feels they will value a FedEx job more than the alternative.

Boeing,

If you don't think the junior, but not furloughed, active "legacy" pilot also faces these same concerns about schedule and extremely long wait for captain then you also haven't studied history. Junior pilot at shrinking airline = long time jerking gear.

Sounds like you agree with JL, and I'm sure you aren't alone. I doubt things will change while he is the king, so I'm just hoping for all of us out here that retirement is somewhere on the horizon. I'm certain FDX ALPA could care less about this issue as they have more important concerns with the company right now, and I don't blame them. I have many Navy buds at FDX who all agree that the policy sucks but not much can be done while Jack Lewis is still in the office. And it absolutely is his rule - not him following some marching orders from above.

So, to those who agree with the theory that even after we landed our major airline job during the good years, because we chose to stop pursuing FDX then we as a group should be excluded, you are out to lunch. The luxury of hindsight is pretty convenient, but would anyone, JL included, act any differently if they were on with UAL/AA/DAL back in late 90's, 00 when airlines were making a killing? I had my app in with FDX for 2 + years - pre MNG then - DAL came along and FDX finally calls me when I'm on 2nd year pay at Delta. Pre 911, new contract, 60%FAE retirement, top pay rates, Kit Darby says I'm rich, etc. Would you or anyone who supports the JL rule seriously have left at this point?...........

So, my "conjecture" is the policy is very personal and petty and very much goes against reasonable man theory.

Hoping for change,

Ben

Ben, FBJ, & PJ,

I agree with all of your statements emotionally, and I think we'd all agree that it is darn near impossible to change someone's emotional position.

We do, however, get huge corp. discounts on D/H tix, which is very politically motivated. If you think for a second that there wouldn't be an under the table agreement that links these to hiring, then I think you aren't cynical enough yet.

FedEx is all about the bottom line, and while there may be some emotional impetus at the beginning of a policy, it is certainly driven by the mighty dollar in the end.

Like you said, there are always exceptions so don't give up.

Late!

Purpled said:
Ben, FBJ, & PJ,

I agree with all of your statements emotionally, and I think we'd all agree that it is darn near impossible to change someone's emotional position.

We do, however, get huge corp. discounts on D/H tix, which is very politically motivated. If you think for a second that there wouldn't be an under the table agreement that links these to hiring, then I think you aren't cynical enough yet.

FedEx is all about the bottom line, and while there may be some emotional impetus at the beginning of a policy, it is certainly driven by the mighty dollar in the end.

Like you said, there are always exceptions so don't give up.

Late!

Purple,

Appreciate your unflamatory response. But, I still think the bottom line on this one boils down to one guy - JL. I've suffered through many "top notch" mgt. theories at DAL, so believe me, I am quite cynical about what goes on up on the top floors. However, I find it way out there to think that pilot hiring is in any way linked to corporate flight discounts. I'm told that our mgt. fully expects the turnover at the bottom of our list to begin to mirror that of regional airlines. Oh, and when (if) the 500-ish furlough list runs out, guess what - cheaper pilots off the street.

So, my uneducated response is I find it highly unlikely that DAL or any airline management has contacted FDX in any way as to hiring away their "talent".

By the way, I paid my $50 to apply on line at FDX. I think JL should refund my $ and that of 1000's of others who think they meet the mins to work there. Have to check with the good Reverand Al or Jesse on this issue, but if I meet the qualifications as advertised for employment, should I not have the same opportunity for being hired as anyone else, regardless of age, gender, race, or current "legacy" airline employment??

I know, banging my head against my own wall again, but I think anyone that thinks this issue is anything more than a personal agenda is wrong.

Ben

Benjamin Dover said:
Boeing,

If you don't think the junior, but not furloughed, active "legacy" pilot also faces these same concerns about schedule and extremely long wait for captain then you also haven't studied history. Junior pilot at shrinking airline = long time jerking gear.

Sounds like you agree with JL, and I'm sure you aren't alone. I doubt things will change while he is the king, so I'm just hoping for all of us out here that retirement is somewhere on the horizon. I'm certain FDX ALPA could care less about this issue as they have more important concerns with the company right now, and I don't blame them. I have many Navy buds at FDX who all agree that the policy sucks but not much can be done while Jack Lewis is still in the office. And it absolutely is his rule - not him following some marching orders from above.

So, to those who agree with the theory that even after we landed our major airline job during the good years, because we chose to stop pursuing FDX then we as a group should be excluded, you are out to lunch. The luxury of hindsight is pretty convenient, but would anyone, JL included, act any differently if they were on with UAL/AA/DAL back in late 90's, 00 when airlines were making a killing? I had my app in with FDX for 2 + years - pre MNG then - DAL came along and FDX finally calls me when I'm on 2nd year pay at Delta. Pre 911, new contract, 60%FAE retirement, top pay rates, Kit Darby says I'm rich, etc. Would you or anyone who supports the JL rule seriously have left at this point?...........

So, my "conjecture" is the policy is very personal and petty and very much goes against reasonable man theory.

Hoping for change,

Ben

Honestly.... yes, I would have left because FedEx was my ultimate goal. I agree with JL's policy. If FedEx wasn't good enough for you back then, we must not be what you really wanted. JL wants to hire people that want to spend their entire career here. When you get to be the man at the top...you can do what you think is fair.
In case you missed it, no one ever said life was fair.
I will agree, however, that the meet n' greet policy is not the way to go.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back