• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed Ex furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To help mitigate possible furloughs, they are invoking a section of the contract that they must do BEFORE any furloughs can happen. This clause is the guarantee reduction. There are problems now arising from this section of the contract, all of which I'm not familiar, but this is what's going on.

Ya, that is what my contract said, then the company did it anyway. Fly then grieve. Maybe they will get to it before you are recalled. Good luck.

just got news that fed ex is going to furlough 700, the union is trying to lower line values to keep as many on property as possible... also the 777 has been delayed 18 months...

Amazingly, every single word of this is untrue!

Amazingly, every single word of this is untrue!

You are correct - every word untrue. What I can't seem to get right in my mind however, is the fact that on 18 Dec the 2nd quarter results consisted of a 500 million dollar profit -- for the quarter!!! Profits up. Margins up. Costs down. WTF!! If they pull the sh!t they are kicking around, they will have created more than a little ill will with many of us who will be around for, oh I don't know, 30 more years. For the love of god, you're still making huge money, show a shred of decency or loyalty.

PIPE

Pipe, my thoughts exactly, has there ever been a furlough from a company actually making money? On the one hand, I'm glad to see all the cost cutting. On the other, WTF?

My guess is there will be a furlough, wont be near 700 unless the World sinks into a depression (which is possible). Good news is, all the over 60 guys who are fully vested with over 25 years at FedEx will take one for the team and retire to help the furloughees out. Laughing yet?

Management does not care about ill will, decency or loyalty. When will pilots figure out that we are an expense. Plain and simple. If the expenses can be cut they will be cut.

Ill will...., makes me laugh!!! Honestly what has any pilot group in the last 25 years done to stand up for themselves? 90 percent of pilots remaining after furloughs occur are happy it wasn't them losing a job. I don't see fedex pilots striking to stop a furlough company profits or not.

Fedex is a great place to work but again, pilots are just an expense on a bean counters balace sheet. Management doesn't give two s&%ts about you or your family. If furloughing 500 pilots will boost the stock price a few points then 500 pilots have to go, regsrdless of quarterly profits.

Sorry for the reality check.

Last edited:
My guess is there will be a furlough, wont be near 700 unless the World sinks into a depression (which is possible). Good news is, all the over 60 guys who are fully vested with over 25 years at FedEx will take one for the team and retire to help the furloughees out. Laughing yet?

Any chance of them offering an early out incentive for the senior captains similar to what Delta and others have done in the past?

How many pilots has Fedes hired over the past few years?

Pipe, my thoughts exactly, has there ever been a furlough from a company actually making money? On the one hand, I'm glad to see all the cost cutting. On the other, WTF?
You guys complain how airline CEOs run airlines into the ground and make a lot of money doing it. Then, when management is proactive and sees an overmanning situation before it actually occurs, they are disloyal to their employees by giving you a heads up that they are going to have to do something before it becomes a problem for the viability of the company. Which way do you want it? Manage the company and keep it viable for shareholders or do whatever it takes to just keep jobs for all current employees no-matter-what? Despite what we would like to believe, companies are in business to make a profit which usually provides jobs. The companies are NOT in business to make jobs.

All that being said, I think a company that wants loyalty from its employees will do what it can to minimize the hardship on its employees, but it is a fact of life that companies grow and shrink. If they do not keep up with reality, they fail. Then, there will be NO jobs left at the airline (unless the government bails them out... don't get me started on that).

I personally hope that the company is able to keep all of the pilots and still stay profitable.

Management does not care about ill will, decency or loyalty. When will pilots figure out that we are an expense. Plain and simple. If the expenses can be cut they will be cut.

Ill will...., makes me laugh!!! Honestly what has any pilot group in the last 25 years done to stand up for themselves? 90 percent of pilots remaining after furloughs occur are happy it wasn't them losing a job. I don't see fedex pilots striking to stop a furlough company profits or not.

Fedex is a great place to work but again, pilots are just an expense on a bean counters balace sheet. Management doesn't give two s&%ts about you or your family. If furloughing 500 pilots will boost the stock price a few points then 500 pilots have to go, regsrdless of quarterly profits.

Sorry for the reality check.

Not all airlines are like this.

You guys complain how airline CEOs run airlines into the ground and make a lot of money doing it. Then, when management is proactive and sees an overmanning situation before it actually occurs, they are disloyal to their employees by giving you a heads up that they are going to have to do something before it becomes a problem for the viability of the company. Which way do you want it? Manage the company and keep it viable for shareholders or do whatever it takes to just keep jobs for all current employees no-matter-what? Despite what we would like to believe, companies are in business to make a profit which usually provides jobs. The companies are NOT in business to make jobs.

All that being said, I think a company that wants loyalty from its employees will do what it can to minimize the hardship on its employees, but it is a fact of life that companies grow and shrink. If they do not keep up with reality, they fail. Then, there will be NO jobs left at the airline (unless the government bails them out... don't get me started on that).

I personally hope that the company is able to keep all of the pilots and still stay profitable.

One of the best posts I have read on FI.

You have the big picture - at times you are going to scratch your head with some of the rebuttals around here.

Keep em coming.

fv

Latest resources

Back