• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fed Ex furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of questions. Did Management take pay cuts? If they did, that is not good for your pilot group. Also, I read that they want to bring the monthly averages down to 48 hours per month of flying. Can people pick up time above that? If they can, and they are senior, they will do just that. They couldn't care any less about the junior pilots. That is a given at all carriers. A friend of mine flying there said the "Purple Nuggests" (or newhires on the MD11) will probably be displaced to the 727FE spot, which should be interesting. Good luck to you guys.

A couple of questions. Did Management take pay cuts?

Yes.

5 percent reduction in base pay.
No raises for at least one year.
401k match will be suspended starting in Feb.
Incentive compensation suspended (maybe eliminated, couldn't remember because I never count on it).

I don't make that much at all, but all told, those 4 items will add up to about 8k for me for the year. That's about a 17 percent cut, figuring total compensation. Multiply by all of the managers at ALL of the operating companies, and we're talking about a lot of money. Hourly loses the 401k match, that's it. Unionized employees I would imagine are next.

Fred took a 20% pay cut. Various other management levels took 10-7.5% pay cuts. The worker bees took a 5% pay cut, so everyone is sharing the pain....

What part of "Fedex is making a Profit" do you NOT understand?

The statements you make would be true if the company was not making money but thats simply not the case.

What part of forecasting do you not understand? A company that actually looks forward at projected business is a smart company. Do you want them to be proactive or reactive?

Read the entire post next time, and you won't look so dumb when you respond.

Last edited:
I was talking with one of the FED-EX truckers and they are getting furlough news already on the ground side. It was only a matter of time before it happened to the aircraft side. UPS will be next.

Apparently overnight express mail is way down, and 2-3 day is increasing, but that is mainly trucked. Also, a lot of major Fedex customers are going away, like Lehmans. Not good.

Milky,

Sorry to have jammed on you in a previous post.

It appears you have a grasp on many things. I would tend to agree with many of your observations.

Now....What level of Management are you? And, in what business?

Or, are you just a Student thereof?

No slam intended. Your statements and observations merit the discussion.

YKMKR

Last edited:
Amen.... You can blame our SWA "brother" for that one.

40% of us voted "NO" amigo. Kind of like "JL" spoke for all of your "brothers" of few years ago when I could not get a job there because I was a "legacy" guy who must have passed on FDX back in the day. Often the broad brush is not accurate..

Fred took a 20% pay cut. Various other management levels took 10-7.5% pay cuts. The worker bees took a 5% pay cut, so everyone is sharing the pain....
Actually, the worker bees didn't take a pay cut... yet. Managers took a 5% pay cut.

Us pilots have already taken a pay cut... Six months before Fred announced his and the other executives. Our BLGs were reduced from an average of 75 to 68. that is already a 10% pay cut. Now they're looking to drop them to a minimum of 48. That's 30% from where we are now, and 36% from last year. We've given as much as a high level executive has given, and now they're looking to take a greater percentage than even Fred has taken. I say no...

Actually, the worker bees didn't take a pay cut... yet. Managers took a 5% pay cut.

Us pilots have already taken a pay cut... Six months before Fred announced his and the other executives. Our BLGs were reduced from an average of 75 to 68. that is already a 10% pay cut. Now they're looking to drop them to a minimum of 48. That's 30% from where we are now, and 36% from last year. We've given as much as a high level executive has given, and now they're looking to take a greater percentage than even Fred has taken. I say no...

The first grain of truth in this whole thread. We took a pay cut waaay before anyone else.

The manning problem was their creation. Everyone saw it coming. Mistake #1 was having ANY bids after the age 60 rule changed. Those dudes would have quit if they had been left to rot at their panels.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back