• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearup5
Age 60 screws another group of folks.

Amen.... You can blame our SWA "brother" for that one.

Actually I think we can blame ALPA, and Prater "Taking it back", for that one.

Apparently overnight express mail is way down, and 2-3 day is increasing, but that is mainly trucked. Also, a lot of major Fedex customers are going away, like Lehmans. Not good.

The sentiment seems more will go to Ground. Cost/time seems to favor cost as shipping budgets tighten. So they will save a bundle going Ground. We run lean and yield is good, but it takes away from Express. That's why you're seeing all of this. Demand for Express is down, cost is high, and management is trying to stay ahead of it within reason. The LTL bloodbath continues, and that's why you are seeing layoffs at Freight. Of all this, I am curious how Office will fare, being different than all of the other opco's.

What part of forecasting do you not understand? A company that actually looks forward at projected business is a smart company. Do you want them to be proactive or reactive?

Read the entire post next time, and you won't look so dumb when you respond.

Treat your employee's like crap when you are making huge profits. Looking short term and completely forgetting the long term picture. Sounds like a way to lose moral and tick off a lot of people. Forecasts almost never prove to be accurate. I spent 4 years in college waisting my time on building forecasts for my business professor's. They obviously didn't understand the "Real World".

Treat your employee's like crap when you are making huge profits. Looking short term and completely forgetting the long term picture. Sounds like a way to lose moral and tick off a lot of people. Forecasts almost never prove to be accurate. I spent 4 years in college waisting my time on building forecasts for my business professor's. They obviously didn't understand the "Real World".

Damn dude is Fedex your first airline? Wake up!!!!!
Again, no one in management cares about you or your family. Do you honestly think that Fedex or any other company will keep employees around just for good will? It does not matter if your company is making money or not. It's about stock price.

I'm not slamming Fedex but I think you need to get over the "Ill will" and "company profit" mantra. We are in a world wide recession bordering on depression. If you think premium package delivery companies will not be effected by this you need to get a refund from your business school.

Ps. I know someone will say that SWA kept employees after 911, and that is true. BUT that was for a very short term and then SWA took advantage of all the other airlines drastic cuts to increase their market share. I don't see Fedex increasing market share much.

Again, you don't get it at all.

I will be waisting[sic] my time to try to explain to you how childish this statement is. Companies do have incentive to not just demoralize their work force for no reason, but they also have to answer to the shareholders for future profits, not past profits. If they believe they are not going have the same revenue because of lack of demand for their service, the managers must reduce costs. In this case, unused pilot labor costs are probably quite costly. I agree with you that if they continuously furlough and recall, it may eventually cause pilots to stop applying to FedEx because of lack of job security. But, I would venture a guess that even if they furloughed 1000 people today and opened up their application online at the same time, they would receive thousands of applications. So, I think that they are not currently concerned about the supply of labor. They are concerned with the bottom line because that is why a business exists.

I'll say it again, companies do not exist to provide jobs. Companies exist to make a profit. The executives at your company are paid to make a profit. Creating jobs is a fortunate byproduct of the process.

So, if the managers at FedEx believe that they will not make enough money to utilize their pilot labor enough to keep them off of furlough, they have a fudiciary responsibility to the shareholders to furlough. Kind of ironic if you were a pilot there and a shareholder.

Nobody wants to see anybody cut jobs, but let's be grownups about the process. There is no evil conspiracy to ruin your life as a pilot by some evil manager cult. Poorly or well, the managers of companies are trying to keep their companies profitable on good and bad years. Looks like people think this is going to be a pretty rough one.

Again, you don't get it at all...

...In this case, unused pilot labor costs are probably quite costly...
You don't get it at all...
First, we already took a pay cut on par with the senior executives, percentage-wise. Second, the union approached the company over a year ago trying to mitigate the effects of the alleged over-manning. They company stone-walled them, put them off, and refused to discuss the issue. Now, they want relief form the contract over night. Third, they are violating the intent of our contract that they themselved signed. Lastly, it is most people's contention that it would cost them MORE to furlough than it would to just pay us our contratually agreed to minimum bid period guarantee.

You don't get it at all...
First, we already took a pay cut on par with the senior executives, percentage-wise. Second, the union approached the company over a year ago trying to mitigate the effects of the alleged over-manning. They company stone-walled them, put them off, and refused to discuss the issue. Now, they want relief form the contract over night. Third, they are violating the intent of our contract that they themselved signed. Lastly, it is most people's contention that it would cost them MORE to furlough than it would to just pay us our contratually agreed to minimum bid period guarantee.

So........ you contend that is cheaper to pay 700 pilots guarantee, retirement, health benefits, LTD and STD than it is to furlough 700 guys for three or so years and then recall 150 a year to cover attrition? Huh if that were the case than why does any airline ever furlough?

Management doesn't care how much it will cost to retrain pilots in say three years. The care what is going to happen now and in maybe a year in advance.

But time will tell. You guys will probably be right and Fedex will carry 700 or so pilots for the next three years or so. That won't cost too much.

Latest resources

Back