FED EX Call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fedex and stop-loss

HR folks at Fedex gave me the impression that if you have friends in high places at Fedex, that will probably overcome the stop-loss issue.

Did your friends at Altus know any bigwigs at Fedex?

Yahtzee

Indeed it is me...and just to stop the rumors...Beverly asked me if I was affected by stop-loss and I replied yes. I put my app in online 8/01 with an availability of 11/01...then 9/11/01. Hadn't updated since and just got back from Saudi. Got the call!

House

Time-out.

Mr. Aviation,

Nothing in any of the posts I've read show any malice towards non-military folks, or that you can't or will not be called in for an interview if you're not military. I was simply trying to confirm or crush a rumor that Active Duty military pilots affected by stop loss would not be called by FedEx for interviews. The fact remains (in aviation and in other career fields) knowing someone who can and more importantly will go in to their superiors to give a recommendation for you, can't hurt.

When Kudwa took over at American, he said "No Mas" to this. Oh well.

I have heard from many on the inside at FedEx and other companies, the most major airlines like variety of backgrounds in their pilots to include miliatry and civilians.

Rather than slam the policy of using connections, try using it for your benefit. With all the time you have, surely you have one FedEx pilot who will make a strong recommendation on your behalf. Nothing says that only military pilots can use your version "of the Military good ole boys network"

When I was working for the largest computer company in the world in the early 90s, I made recommendations to my supervisors on behalf of an individual who had recently applied. Guess what? He got the job! T

The sky isn't carolina blue, if you don't think your past will catch up with you. Whether your a military or a civilian pilot, if other pilots find you difficulty to work with (ie.,you lack people skills) or have shown poor judgement on a repeated basis, good luck, cause you're gonna need it. :eek:

Cheers!

I don't know one single FedEx pilot because they are mostly ex-military. I repeat...FedEx is just another ex-military good ole boys network. CASE CLOSED!

Call Mr. Aviation a Whaaaambulance. He has obviously been mistreated. Over 50% of the guys I fly with were not in the military. Where do you get your information?

Re: Fedex and stop-loss

Jake said:
HR folks at Fedex gave me the impression that if you have friends in high places at Fedex, that will probably overcome the stop-loss issue.

Did your friends at Altus know any bigwigs at Fedex?

Don't know for sure, but I'll ask. As far as I know, the only "bigwig" known was met at an Air Inc convention, with some follow-up emails to "refresh the memory," so to speak. Honestly don't know if that's what made the difference, but I doubt it.

Peace,
DP

Re: Time-out.

Yahtzee said:
Mr. Aviation,

Rather than slam the policy of using connections, try using it for your benefit. With all the time you have, surely you have one FedEx pilot who will make a strong recommendation on your behalf

Actually, I believe the recommendation system tends to disadvantage someone with many years and "all that time". Let's say you've been flying for USAir for 12 years and decide it's time to get out and you want to go work for FedEx. How likely is it that someone at FedEx as seen you fly "for an extended period of time", any time within the past decade? At best you may know someone who vaugely remembers you and may have flown with you, but all that was over 12 years ago.

Otoh, if you are talking about someone fresh from the commuters or military, chances are he's tuned into a network of pilots who he's just flown with who are FedEX new hires.

This is the system they use, so we have to deal with it and move on, but I think you could make a case that this borders on age discrimination, although I'm certainly not going to be the one to hire a lawyer and test it. I'd rather spend my time trying to line up that LOR!

Mr. Aviation,

Check your ego and obvious FedEx envy at the door. The recommendation system works exactly the same way for civilian or military. There's no box on the rec. form to check whether I'm mil or civ, all company pilots carry the same weight. I don't know the exact percentage of military vs. civilian here, but I've flown with a buttload of civilians, and no, not all ex-tiger guys, plenty of young guys. I'll fly with civilians one day, military the next. In my interview class of 4 military and 2 civilian, both civilians got hired, 2 military did not.

All of us, both military and civilian, got here because we had the required qualifications, a recommendation from a company pilot who thought we were a competent professional, then we proved ourselves at the interview.

Oh yeah, let's jump on the affirmative action bandwagon too...

Get over it.

Latest resources

Back