FED EX Call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ditto on the "get over it!"
In my interview class LAST MONTH, we had 4 ex-military and two civilian only.
Two of the ex-military were NOT hired (one was even a former Emery captain...the other was me!)...both the civilians were hired.

Mr. Aviation isn't going to get a job with any airline..whether their hiring board is predominately civilian or military...and regardless if he does manage to get some letters of recommendation (doubtful). Check his posts. They reveal much about his attitude. I don't think anyone would touch him with a ten-foot pole.

The chances are slim to get a call if you don't have a sponsor. To my knowledge, I haven't heard of anybody getting the call with out a recommendation.
Good Luck

Positive Note

To all the other civilian pilots reading these posts, good on you for not swallowing the poison Mr. Aviation is spewing from his veins. If he spent a tenth of the time cultivating relationships rather than leaving his bitterness on this forum, he may have hope.

On a more positive note: (it has nothing to do with FedEx but Mr. Aviation may learn something about helping others by reading it.)

I was recently at the Sun-N-Fun Airshow in Lakeland, FL where I met a civilian US Airways Capt as I was standing in front of our USAF jet. The Capt inquired about becoming a military pilot, and I explained the various ways you could be become a pilot in the USAF. The Capt then told me about a 24 year old young man and friend of his family who would like to become a military pilot. I told him of a USAF Reserve Unit where I thought the young man would make a good fit, and the Capt gave me a business card as we exchanged information. We spoke about US Airways, his background and life in general. We said goodbye and I told him to have the young man call or e-mail me.

About two days later, the young man e-mailed me with questions and his phone number. I called the young man and chatted with him for about 20 minutes. It turns out we had similar backgrounds. He works for a Fortune 500 company as a Mech. Eng. I too had worked for a large corporation in a non-flying capacity and wanted to fly as a 24 year old. I simply conducted a phone interview of this young man, and believed him worthy of my time and my dollar (20 min at .05 per min on my calling card).

Five minutes later I called a USAF Reserve unit near the young man, and although my friends were deployed to any undisclosed location, the mere mention of their names gave me instant credibility with the Lt Col (a senior pilot at the unit) who I spoke with. I explained I had nothing to gain by helping this young man other than being a Good Samaritan, and hoped to find a good future pilot for their unit. The Lt Col took the information. I few days later young man called me to tell me he had an interview with the unit.

I'm still in touch with the young man, the US Airways Capt, and the Lt Col at the Unit. The young man is in the door now, and I hope to teach him in the T-1 in the near future. The military and civilian pilot ranks are both filled with their ups and downs, good people and not so good people. I hope we are all in search of something more than just a good paying job with a lot of time off. I personally hope and expect to have fun at work. When it stops being fun, I hope I’m wise enough to move on.

In the meantime, I will keep going to air shows, recruiting for the USAF, the Guard, and the Reserves (and yes educating the general public about your USAF!) :D

Hope to see you on the line! (Mr. Aviation excluded of course.)

P.S. I’m sure if anyone can find a negative side to this story, it’s him.

Fangs not veins...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Yahtzee

To all the other civilian pilots reading these posts, good on you for not swallowing the poison Mr. Aviation is spewing from his veins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what a Georgia education can do for you? I meant to write "fangs" not "veins" rolleyes:

Roll the Dice and hope for a "Big"

Boys - just got hired, 5600 all-civilian hours, 2 reccy's from all civilian pilots, one was a commuter guy I flew ATR's with and one was a corporate pilot at a company I used to free-lance in King Aires with. Strong military presence there, but plenty of room for the rest of us!

Flew the Pan Am sim just to make sure I could still do steam gauges. Got the rest of my prep from this site and the fine guys here that sent me stuff. Also WFFF and the FDX website.

Thanks to all the dudes here - I've been lurking the fedex threads for months. Good luck to everybody! Beer light's on!

Congrats on the Hire!
I just did the whole interview in April. I didn't have any recomendations from anyone and they called me. They are a very professional group of people. The gouge is easy to obtain from anyone/anywhere and it hasn't changed much. You are selected , supposedly, by a cumulative score on all aspects of the interview. Sim ride, SBI, interviews and psych tests.
Good luck . After flying the SIM profile to near perfection I thought I had a good chance but was rejected. :(
It was interesting to notice that one of the candidates in my interview class seemingly knew almost everyone who came walking around a corner in the training center. He was from the NAVY.

You make the call !!!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back