• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Feb. PBS Bid Awards - ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right there is where I had to stop reading. You really are not that educated on what really went on there, are you?

I know exactly what went on. Maybe, you should open your eyes. If you have different information, then state it. I will rebut it with the facts. Maybe, you really don't know?

Last edited:
IAH CA's for Jan 506 pilots bidding, 313 hardlines, 57 relief lines awarded
IAH CA's for Feb 498 pilots bidding, 307 hardlines, 74 relief lines awarded.
That totals 380 hard lines and 126 Reserves under your Line Bidding.
With our PBS you could have had 450 hard lines, and 56 reserves. Even our most junior lines had good 4 day pairings and about 14 days off.
That's a no brainer.

And accepting the current ASA PBS system will be a concession for the majority of the pilots on the combined list. Sorry buddy, our scheduling chair has seem your PBS system live and in action. It simply won't work with XJT's current scheduling language. It's apples to bowling balls. Why should the majority of the pilots on the new list get their SECOND concession rammed down their throats?
Um, if you are going to put it in those "second concession" arguments, maybe because it's better than being out of a job. You really don't have the leverage that you think you do. Ask any Delta pilot. Any Future contract will have PBS. How you want to frame up the collateral consequences is your choice. Consider the ultimate concession had you not been purchased! Being out of a job and applying for one at ASA instead of finding a contractual solution. Being out a job is still a possiblity. I can assure you that ASA pilots will not take that dive with you! We don't have to!

Come on, we all read the SAME stuff man. The flip side of the coin to ALL your points above has been discussed ad nauseam else where. I don't have the patience to type if out for a 10th time.
You need a good dose of reality. You have been purchased. You don't have leaverage. This is not a land grab. You did that once with a Management that couldn't run a lemonade stand. It want work with your new owners.

As far as your last statement goes, if ASA decides to build crap pairings and only a minority of the pilots get their preferences met, what recourse is there to improve the award? Little, if any at all due to the lack of open time with a PBS system. XJT's system has ALWAYS allowed pilots to improve a crappy line.
Bid it right with PBS the first time, and you don't need to improve it. In the PBS world, any Open Time is the crap no one else wanted. So, the less of it the better.

See the above, the current ASA PBS system simply will not work with XJT's current workrules. 1 of 2 things has to happen, XJT takes it in the butt with a major concession to get the current ASA PBS to work, or the PBS system has to be completely revamped so the majority of the pilots on the combined list DON'T take it in the but with ANOTHER concession.
Disregard the above, and read the following: YOUR current work rules will not work with PBS. One thing will hapen, PBS will survive! The rest will either fall out or adapt to PBS.

Are you a chest thumper?

What I meant is that our compensation on our ERJ is almost what you get on the 900, so any raise on the ERJ would mean an automatic raise on all your aircraft. Therefore I can see a blended rate and that would be more reason for dual qual.
I say, make the airplane higher paid. That is what the fleet will be in a couple of years--our fleet! Why create a b scale, think long term.

Yup, I agree with you 100% there. Our ERJ rate is within $1 of your 900 rate (taking into consideration those work rules you mentioned like our B fund). So if you give the ERJ ANY kind of a pay rate increase, it will surpass your 900 rate. Thus I see a blended rate being a possibility.

Like I said already, I will be fine whatever happens. I will go do something else. My life is not this job. I already took concessions and I rather not do it again, even if it means I lose my job.
Sorry pardner, I don't think you really know/mean what you are saying. When you weigh what you do against most "something elses," you will still be doing what your are doing, unless you live by principle alone. Don't fall on that sword, I can assure you, that being out of a job is not an option! Please use good reasoning, I know you can!

As if you know anything about me. :rolleyes: I have a back up plan and even if I didn't, life will not end if XJT goes out of business. I will be fine no matter what happens. I have a support network if I need to use it.

He seems to need us more than we do him. He has been the one who constantly has been trying to get into CALs bed. Which part of our agreement have you read? Can you tell me about the phase 1, phase 2, ILIW, SLIW, etc? The choice is pay up or keep us separate. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM whatsoever with being separate. I do not want to come down to the level of Skywest airlines. I want to bring them and you up to ours! My unions job is not to worry about shrinking airlines. That is managements job. If they want to make our airline bigger, they can easily combine us with another airline with over 200 aircraft already to go.
You need to do further analysis. Your pay rate may be the only way you get paid, but it is not the only way we get paid. We have cancellation pay, min day, duty rig, guaranteed leg or better pay, and a performance bonus that in its short history has paid well on a quarterly basis. At the end of the year, if I took my gross income from these ASA "haves" and divided it by the number of hours I have flown, it would blow your "rate on paper" out of the water!!!!! KABOOM! Compare apples to apples.

Yup, I know all about that! Just ask Dojet. We have a superior contract and I know about soft time very well. We have ALL of what you just stated and more.

I actually just recently did the math. My total compensation , I come up with an adjusted hourly rate of $55.57. And when I include the 77% the company pays for on my medical and dental insurance, the adjusted pay rate goes up to $77.41. And when if you want to throw in perdiem, its $83.76. My contractual pay rate is $41.25/hr. That's over half my pay in everything else other than my pay rate.

They wanted to operate 3 separate airlines and implement 16% concessions. Now they conceded at least merging us with ASA and having to negotiate a joint contract under section 6. HUGE concessions from what they originally wanted.
Concessions? I don't thing so. They waited, and got the deal on their terms. Your company would not have lasted another 90 days from some of the analysts reports I have read. The first thing I want to share with you that all of us have learned, our Parent Company is shrewd. They only make decisions when the deal is right--Why? Because they can, and they know how to parlay opportunities into guaranteed money making ventures. They would succeed in any industry, because they have a proven business model. They just happen to be in the regional airline industry. I would submit, if they can make it here, they can make it anywhere. Your job and longterm benefits are safe on this team, if you care to play ball on the same team.

Yup, I agree. They are shrewd. That is why they tried the first time. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. And in the process, decimated our CPA, caused us to lose money, and employees to vote for concessions. But they knew we would walk away from the same deal again. Which is why they conceded to merge us with ASA instead of keeping us separate because you know very well if they could, they would operate us all separate. They have also conceded on trying to ram pay cuts on us like they did the first time they wanted 16% concession. Now, they know they will have to make our contract better if they want to see their "guaranteed money making venture" suceed. That is called concessions on their part. And its really shrewd on their part to give just enough to convince our MEC.

Fair enough, although I think that the failure of that section of our contract had more to do with the resolve of our MEC than the language in the contract.

According to all the legal minds, that section of your contract did not apply to you being purchased. Your MEC came to that realization and made the right decisions, and so did the majority of your pilot group. Even if it had bound the purchaser, he gave you a choice. He would not fight the legal battle, he would just pull back and let you spiral to the ground. If you have not come to a clear understanding of this by this point, then you are in denial and further discussion is futile. Under the circumstances, that part of your contract was worthless. Maybe we can all learn from that, and make sure we have protection in the future through language that addresses our possible acquisition.

Cheers!

The only legal mind that mattered was an arbitrator, which it never got to because, like you said, they are shrewd and our MEC rolled over. I would be happy if our pilot group even got a vote, so no, it cannot be said the majority of our pilot group agree to this. And if he would to walk away, which I highly doubt, someone else would have bought is. Which is why I doubt he would have walked away. We were too good of a deal for someone not to buy us. That part of the contract was made worthless because our MEC made a strategic decision not defend it. But its ironic that its incorporated into the newly TAd Scope LOA.

Last edited:
I know exactly what went on. Maybe, you should open your eyes. If you have different information, then state it. I will rebut it with the facts. Maybe, you really don't know?

Disregard the above, and read the following: YOUR current work rules will not work with PBS. One thing will hapen, PBS will survive! The rest will either fall out or adapt to PBS.

Are you a chest thumper?

Wow.....just, wow.

I feel so much better moving forward with all the well informed ASA pilots. This whole JCBA/SLI is gonna be great with minds like yours involved.

You are right. Our current work rules do not work with your current PBS setup because it would be a huge concession. I'm not against PBS now that its been shown that you can maximize vacation. I never pick up trips over vacation or pick up at all for that matter so that was never MY concern with the lack of open time. But whatever happens, it will NOT be a concession to the majority of the pilots on the ISL.

Latest resources

Back