• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Favorite words of a new Lear 24 F/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"ace of the base"...."asst chief 141"...

its all good.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gulfstream 200,

As long as you have your eyes outside the cockpit looking for other aircraft you're doing the right thing in my book.

But some people may not agree with you on making taxi calls, particularly on a busy unicom, that doesn't make them unsafe, as long as they have the radio on (if so equipped).

well that's what I do...I'm sure sometime later I'll be able to change it to FO or something..:D
And Oh Ace of Base is just there for sarcastic reasons..will be gone in a day or 2.

Gulfstream 200 said:
nobody is looking for "priority" by calling in 20 miles out.

Its not just "see and Avoid" as you say...Its SPEAK UP and let others know where you are. Stop talking about the weather today and the new spark plugs you just dialed into the ole' Cherokee....just let others know what you are and what you intend to do.

The reason for all the calls is because we know we are going into an airport environment that is filled with the likes of Cheese Boy - and thats downright scary sometimes!

I can handle the weekend warrior who lets me know what he's doing.....its the inexperienced,unpredictable guy who goes by his own rules that scares me.

:rolleyes:

You bring a very valid point, but at the same time that you request him to make a call, you should be making a call as well. (Not saying that you aren't... just stating the obvious)

And I do believe that the underlying principle to all types of separation, regardless of airspace, ATC or no-ATC, etc. is see and avoid. AIM 5-5-8. This would be especially true at uncontrolled airports. If it isn't JUST see and avoid, then how do you expect someone without a radio to operate at the airport (I realize that is somewhat out of the context of the discussion, as we are talking about people that do have radio, but that example illustrates the point that see-and-avoid is a principle that applies at all times.

Originally posted by 501261
There can be a number of reasons why an airplane has to use a different runway, it happens. If everyone is curtious in the pattern its no big deal. It might seem weird that a jet has to make a crosswind/or even downwind landing opposite of traffic, but you can be pretty sure that there are some very good operational reasons calculated via ultranav or the FMS that require those kind of operations

I was in the pattern about a week ago when a Hawker taxiied onto the runway and departed downwind, against traffic, with a C152 on less than a half-mile final. C152 made all "required" calls, as did the Hawker. C152 had to go-around, and despite a thorough lashing by the 3 or so other pilots in the pattern, the Hawker just went on about its way. What his reasons for departing downwind, against traffic, and essentially busting 91.113 were, I have no idea.

The point of the story is that you can follow regs to the letter but then still be a complete a$$. Courtesy along with an understanding that not everyone has the same experience as yourself (total time or otherwise) can go a long way at uncontrolled airports.

There can be many reasons for the jet departing that way. Noise abatement procedures, airport policy, performance requirements and so on. It may come as a surprise to some, but depending on the runway requirements, it is sometimes to the pilot's advantage to depart crosswind or even downwind. It comes as a surprise to many pilots when they do performance problems.

Jedi_Cheese Why are you calling a 20 mile final when the AIM clearly states that that recomended procedure is tuning the radio 10 miles out? said:
Uh, maybe because that gives YOU a "heads-up" during your taxi-out or pattern work that someone is going to be entering the pattern in a few short minutes and NOW is the time to think about coordinating? Of course, this only works when you have your radio on and are communicating?

Second thought- forget about it. You have too much to learn and it's not my job to teach you.

Have a nice life. . . . . and thank god for TCAS. You do turn yuour transponder on, with all that juice you're saving by not announcing your position, aren't you?

Ty Webb
Uh, maybe because that gives YOU a "heads-up" during your taxi-out or pattern work that someone is going to be entering the pattern in a few short minutes and NOW is the time to think about coordinating? Of course, this only works when you have your radio on and are communicating?

Second thought- forget about it. You have too much to learn and it's not my job to teach you.

Have a nice life. . . . . and thank god for TCAS. You do turn yuour transponder on, with all that juice you're saving by not announcing your position, aren't you?

I am glad that most of the corprate guys that fly into my home airport aren't transients. They at least have some manners unlike you.

Our regional airline has a good working relationship with the flight school. When they are inside the beacon (6 mi out), our guys will extend downwind and not do takeoffs in front of them. In return, they will do circle to lands when the weather is nice and not f*ckup the whole traffic pattern when they shoot the ILS and traffic is going the other way.

Tit for tat, everyone wins and is safer for it.

Ty Webb said:
Note to Tony C.- dangerous attitudes is the common thread in this string, and Cheese-Boy's inability to see the big picture is dangerous in my opinion, as is his insistance that the less safe method is the better one, but hey, we're all different.
Ty-

I agree with your opinion about making radio calls. I'm sure you'll agree that it takes some understanding of aviation to appreciate the importance of that call - - it's not obvious to a casual observer.

The aileron roll, or whatever you want to call it, WAS obvious to the most casual of observers. All observers were justified in reporting it. My defense for the observer ends there. I'll not impune his judgment based upon his inability to assign the correct maneuver name, nor will I comment on his attitude, perceived or otherwise, on this thread.

I just think comparing the radio call and the aileron roll is a bit of a stretch.

Gulfstream 200 said:
Please wake up and start making those "stupid" initial taxi calls...

just my $.02, at my airport, we have about 20 A/C that depart every 1.5-2 hours,for training purposes...we don't make these calls simply becuse it would jam up the radio frequency...we also have procedures that compensate for this such as everyone taxis the same direction...however, when i fly to another airport, i always make the call, this way like stated before, no one will run into me...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back