Fast And Low In Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jack Mahogoff said:
In the E-145 the red line is a sliding scale from 8,000' to 10,000' from 250 KIAS to 320 KIAS. So if you do above 250, at or below 8,000', you get the same thing you'll get when you get home from a 4 day.... yelled at by a woman. Ding Ding Ding, High Speed!

Not all of them are that bad.

Going fast on the arrivals in Europe is quite common. Most arrivals will have a grey square on the arrival with the letters SLP next to it. This is the Speed Limit Point where you will be required to be reduced to a certian speed typically 250k or 210k, prior to that speed is at your discression

When I went through Gulfstream 4 maint initial they showed a video of a frozen turkey (I want to say approx 20lbs) being shot into the inlet of a Rolls Royce Tay (F100 motor). The damage was contained and the motor kept on trucking. They also showed a fire hose being shot directly into the inlet of the motor, H2o full force. Motorkept on trucking.

Try slowing down early into ORD or departing ATL to slow and see what happens.

Some planes at MGTOW are unable to fly at 250 kts upon reaching acceleration alt. after clean up. Clean speed for maneuvering can be as high as 270-280 kts. Obviously you're not going to fly with the slats extended up to 10K just to maintain 250kts. Some wide body heavies like the 747-4, MD11 would climb out at well over 250kts. All you gotta do is request "normal speed" I forgot which part of the FARs but you CAN exceed 250 below 10K if operationally required. Controllers at big airports are well aware of this unique situation.

91.117 AIRCRAFT SPEED

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 m.p.h.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations will comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area, or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 m.p.h).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

I am currently flying a contract in Europe, and would like to add a couple of comments. Many aircraft have limitations on speeds below 10000 ft due to bird strikes (the B 757 is 313 kt below 8000), however, those numbers are often not published in American manuals (due to the fact that it is illegal to fly speeds greater than 250 below 10). In Europe, it is common to fly to an airport without a speed restriction. Also, in the UK, most airports have a speed restriction of 250 within the TMA and at or below 10000ft, however, they will often release you from the restriction. I am not sure where the 250 below 10 rule came from in the US, but it is definitely not a world wide thing. One things for sure, unless you're paid by the hour (which I am not) the faster you fly the more your hourly wage ends up being.

Apples and Oranges

Cardinal said:
....The KC135 lost in Alaska was only doing 150kts when it was brought down.

The aircraft that crashed in Alaska years ago was actually an AWACS. It ingested (21 I think) Canadian geese into the #1 and #2 engines while on takeoff roll and subsequently crashed after continuing the takeoff. Sorry, but that accident isn't a good example for airborne bird strike discussions.

Beertini

Latest resources

Back