• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fast And Low In Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We used to fly the ol' 80 at red line over the atlantic goin into ACY at 2 to 3K feet til we got 12 miles from shore. Birds shmirds.

Beertini said:
The aircraft that crashed in Alaska years ago was actually an AWACS. It ingested (21 I think) Canadian geese into the #1 and #2 engines while on takeoff roll and subsequently crashed after continuing the takeoff. Sorry, but that accident isn't a good example for airborne bird strike discussions.

Beertini
I would think that anything after V1, makes the "airborne" part, semantics.

FN FAL said:
I would think that anything after V1, makes the "airborne" part, semantics.

You are correct. I apologize for trying to keep my post on topic.

Reference the original post:

negatory said:
(I was trying to find information or recommendation from Flight Safety Foundation about high speed at low altitudes but could not find anything.)

I also apologize about correcting someone about their reference to a specific accident when it appeared that they did not have all of the facts correct.

DANGER: Potential thread hijack in progress:

Would anyone care to begin a thread that discusses the difference between DOD and DOT training in respect to takeoff data, specifically how the DOD (the Air Force, in particular) muddles the singularity of V1 with concepts such as Vmcg, CEFS, and Refusal Speed?

I am certain that there are many ex-AWACS folks (and Air Force crews in general) out there that pondered that very question for many months following the accident in question.

My point stands. This:
Cardinal said:
The KC135 lost in Alaska was only doing 150kts when it was brought down.

Does not equal this:

negatory said:
..high speed at low altitudes

That is all

Beertini

Thedude said:
The test they did was flawed and they addmitted it on a later show. They were firing a frozen chicken and a PA-28 window.
If you have ever seen the FAA video of the real testing you would have known this was bull from the get go. Large a/c windows are multi-layered and are heated which makes the a little more flexable than you standard windscreen.

I used to love coming in from off shore into JFK and being able to keep the speed up to at least 300kts.

If you hit a bird at 250 or 300, it's still going to do a hell of a lot of damage. That last 50 knots won't do much.

The F-16 canopy will flex if it hits a bird to prevent damage. Thats why the pilots like to be as far down in their seats so they don't get smacked in the head as it rolls off the screen.

As for that decapitated lear pilot, I don't know how fast he was going, but I bet the same thing would've happened if he was going 200kts.

We should be pushing for stronger windscreens if you ask me.

As my screen name suggests, We used to fly the beech at 248 kts to 2.8 dme. Back then I had forgotten about the little 200 within 4 rule. Now I tame it down a bit. But man the controllers loved us.

248to2.8 said:
If you hit a bird at 250 or 300, it's still going to do a hell of a lot of damage. That last 50 knots won't do much.

You should go back and review your physics. I'll give you a hint, flip forward to the "exponents" section.

As my screen name suggests, We used to fly the beech at 248 kts to 2.8 dme. Back then I had forgotten about the little 200 within 4 rule. Now I tame it down a bit. But man the controllers loved us.

Wow, you sure are bold. Too bad you had to "tame it down", but I'm sure you still find some exciting ways to bend the rules.

See and avoid concept

mdanno808 said:
I am not sure where the 250 below 10 rule came from in the US, but it is definitely not a world wide thing. One things for sure, unless you're paid by the hour (which I am not) the faster you fly the more your hourly wage ends up being.

The 250 below 10,000 ft is to allow VFR traffic time to see and avoid you. I in other countries the Class A airspace starts lower than 18,000 MSL. That's all, nothing about hourly wages. The rest of the world doesn't have our general aviation.

This one time coming out of MRY (?) Monterey CA we launched into a fog bank about 200 ft thick. As we came screaming out of the top we flew smack dab into a flock of about 20 pelicans. Well all I saw was 20 fukking pelicans go in 20 different directions. We missed them all. Pretty amazing $hit.

i'll take my chances with one bird at 290 than 10 or 12 birds at V2+20

Some crazy-ass controller wanted us to maintain 280 kts at 4000' on the way into BKK last month...the boss was like "F*** that!" Then again, the Thais have a certain reputation, ie "Why do you want to deviate around the CB?"
One of our training Bonanzas ate a Stork in Spain last month. Barely made it back, IP and 2 students injured. Aircraft is a WO. Birds suck.

Latest resources

Back