FA's to Strike UAL on 7/1/05?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
What do you mean? The pilots were the ones that bent over . . . and over . . . and over. The F/A's are the only ones with stones.

But, no, they won't strike. They're just trying to get the Company to make a better offer.

So, we're gonna have to still live with the "BIG GREY/BLUE ELEPHANT" in the living room?

Nothings' going to happen...

Several weeks ago, I had the (dis)pleasure of talking to one the AFA reps who was out trying to convince our FA group to adopting the AFA as their union, as opposed to creating their own union like the F9 pilots did. Anyway, I sort of danced around the subject of the last "big" UAL FA concern: where they were tying their new agreement of a few months ago to mgmt disclosing their specific pay and benefit cuts. Well, mgmt never disclosed the amount of their cuts, so the FA's were threatening to walk, remember? Anyway, she ranted about how important it was for F9's FA's to join with them so they could all band together and "stop" this craziness. I told her I felt for her, but that if UA's employees didn't want to stop it, then there was not much for anyone else to do. She made it pretty clear that they would never strike, but just create a little CHAOS around the system. She felt that would be "a powerful tool" to get mgmt's attention. Bottom line is, they are all waiting for someone else to draw the line in the sand. My impression, from talking to her for 30 minutes or so, was that she fully expected things to get better, but did not see herself as one of the few people out there with the ability to get it done. She was fully expecting someone else to do it for her.

It made me sick.

What's really scarey is when you have little invested and little to lose then CHOAS becomes the norm, at least for 5-7 days out of the month.

Isn't this the third time they threatened to walk but did not? Sorry folks, but this is about as repetitious as Green Acres reruns on TVLand. I never felt they had the balls to do it anyway, even the Ball-Bearing ones. Maybe if they threatened to show up and pass out pillows, that would maybe be taken as a real threat. July 1 will come and go my friends, and the last great Flight Attendant showdown will be about as realistic as a second drink on a :45 minute flight.

Dennis Miller said:
July 1 will come and go my friends, and the last great Flight Attendant showdown will be about as realistic as a second drink on a :45 minute flight.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner . . . . . .

Ty Webb said:
What do you mean? The pilots were the ones that bent over . . . and over . . . and over. The F/A's are the only ones with stones.

But, no, they won't strike. They're just trying to get the Company to make a better offer.

I highly doubt that your pilot group, or any other, would have done anything differently given the same set of circumstances. There will be some more tests coming up in the industry, so we will get the chance to see if the actions of the UAL pilot group were unique or not.

Mugs said:
I highly doubt that your pilot group, or any other, would have done anything differently given the same set of circumstances.

Don't be so sure. There comes a point where the job isn't worth doing, at least for me, and at a 20-30% pay cut, I'd be there.

Last edited:
Laughing_Jakal said:
What happened?
I moved up almost a hundred numbers on the Big List today. . .

I say......Let them strike, sorry UAL pilots as polite and great as many of you are, some of the F/As that work for UAL look like they were hired back in the 30s just need to retire anyways....time for new young blood to come in and work, I bet there are many people out there who would die to fly for a major these days!

Latest resources

Back