Farewell to AWA Photo Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix?
The given part is irrelevant since we'll likely both end up on the USAirways certificate, but yes, we are definitely trying to keep the Cactus callsign. Probably won't happen, though.

wait, where the heck have i been? usair and america west merged?

On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.

I sure hope so.....I personally think "Cactus" is the coolest callsign ever.

C yaaaa

On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.

Yawn. That's akin to keeping the "MRCOOL" license plate from the corvette that the F/A wife took in the divorce settlement.

I don't get it. America West was the profitable airline that merged with a twice bankrupt in 2 years USAir, and its America West that has to lose its name and livery? I think its time to put an end to the USAirways brand. They had their chance. Even in the late 90's when things were booming they couldn't do well.

Yea the mess has already begun, half the techs (about 7 guys) in BWI, were given the option of relocating their toolboxes to such locations as LAX, LAS, where they must be a little short, or to the street. The other half (7 guys) in BWI will be rolling their tools into the USAIR shop in BWI this month. I'm quite sure the red carpet will be rolled out for these fine fellows. I believe I'd rather go to the dentist and have all of my teeth extracted than to walk in that shop, stairing at gentlemen with minimum 20 years eyeing me up.
I sincerely feel for all of the good folks still at AWA, the only real good times will be on the upper level at Rio Salado.

PHXFLYR said:
Colleen Barrett , the 50 year old Vermont Hippie that is the President of Southwest was asked what she thought about the merger a few days after it was announced. She was quoted as saying "Doug Parker must be on drugs..." Gotta agree with her on this one. This thing is going to be a mess for years to come just on cultural issues alone. And I'm afraid our F/A's are going to get hosed on senority intergration,as will most other employee groups...:(

PHXFLYR:cool:

atrdriver said:
What is really sad is that US Air's management "team" couldn't run its own airline worth a d@mn, and now there is a distinct possibility that they will take another airline out of existance right along with them.

Check again turbo, AWA management team survives not the U crooks.

pipejockey said:
I don't get it. America West was the profitable airline that merged with a twice bankrupt in 2 years USAir, and its America West that has to lose its name and livery? I think its time to put an end to the USAirways brand. They had their chance. Even in the late 90's when things were booming they couldn't do well.

Marketing research has proven that in the world of business negative brand recogmition is better than no recognition.... When I got hired at cactus half of my freinds in Jersey thought I was going to work for a commuter airline..

Latest resources

Back