Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share this photo video that was produced by an AWA Pilot and his Flight Attendant wife. It may not mean much to people that have not worked for AWA, however, I started with AWA when there were only 2300 people at the company. I watched it grow to over 14,000 employees in my 15 years, I saw ups and downs, but through it all, we remained a family.

I can imagine that the tears I shed during this video were very similar to those shed by individuals from TWA, Pan Am, Braniff - the list goes on.

It takes a while to watch, but it is well worth it. At the end there is a tribute to the new combined airline, taking into account all the airline employees that have sacrificed to make the airline what it will now become.

It is a huge loss for those employees at AWA who grew the airline for so many years. I am very sad that the merger had to happen. But, the only constant in this life is change.

Here is the link:

http://www.lebaroness.com/awa2.html

Kathy

Wow, very good video, I have to admit it is still a little strange seeing the US birds at terminal 4 in PHX. I was fortunate enough to ride on 189 for the last flight PHXONTPHX.

Definitly sad, my grandparents live on the approach into Sky Harbor. Its going to be weird not seeing AWA flying overhead.

Last edited:
that video was gay! AWA was an airline where no one was ever happy with the contract, pay and working conditions! people biitched there the whole time. sheesh

Hey pilotbob,:laugh:

your post certainly brought us back down to earth. I gotta laugh.:laugh:

Regards,

dane

What is really sad is that US Air's management "team" couldn't run its own airline worth a d@mn, and now there is a distinct possibility that they will take another airline out of existance right along with them.

Colleen Barrett , the 50 year old Vermont Hippie that is the President of Southwest was asked what she thought about the merger a few days after it was announced. She was quoted as saying "Doug Parker must be on drugs..." Gotta agree with her on this one. This thing is going to be a mess for years to come just on cultural issues alone. And I'm afraid our F/A's are going to get hosed on senority intergration,as will most other employee groups...:(

PHXFLYR:cool:

"Cactus" callsign at combined carrier?

Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.

Pilotbob3 said:
that video was gay! AWA was an airline where no one was ever happy with the contract, pay and working conditions! people biitched there the whole time. sheesh

Really, PilotBob? The whole time? Are you sure? Were you there?

The culture when I started was very positive, team-oriented and hardly anyone complained about pay. A large percentage of the employees volunteered in the community to ensure a positive image for the company - and did it without hesitation. Everyone helped each other out, both on and off the job.

The change came when bankruptcy hit. Then we started to complain about pay because our salaries were cut to save the company. Through it all, the majority of people did whatever it took to keep the passengers flying on the airplanes.

The only thing I miss since my "departure" are my friends - pilots, FAs, rampers and customer service agents - the very people that you say were complaining about everything. These people were like my family. We grew up together; we went through marriages, babies being born, divorces and deaths of co-workers and family members.

I'm not sure how many people in this business can say their airline is like a "true" family to them and that they know more than 75% of the people they work with at their company. I count myself lucky to have been a part of the America West family.

Kathy

Latest resources

Back