Farewell to AWA Photo Video

Resume Writer

Registered User
Joined
Feb 7, 2004
Posts
1,121
Total Time
16 yrs
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share this photo video that was produced by an AWA Pilot and his Flight Attendant wife. It may not mean much to people that have not worked for AWA, however, I started with AWA when there were only 2300 people at the company. I watched it grow to over 14,000 employees in my 15 years, I saw ups and downs, but through it all, we remained a family.

I can imagine that the tears I shed during this video were very similar to those shed by individuals from TWA, Pan Am, Braniff - the list goes on.

It takes a while to watch, but it is well worth it. At the end there is a tribute to the new combined airline, taking into account all the airline employees that have sacrificed to make the airline what it will now become.

It is a huge loss for those employees at AWA who grew the airline for so many years. I am very sad that the merger had to happen. But, the only constant in this life is change.

Here is the link:

http://www.lebaroness.com/awa2.html

Kathy
 

Av8rPHX

The Dude abides...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
323
Total Time
enough
Wow, very good video, I have to admit it is still a little strange seeing the US birds at terminal 4 in PHX. I was fortunate enough to ride on 189 for the last flight PHXONTPHX.
 

psysicx

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Posts
2,252
Total Time
-----
Definitly sad, my grandparents live on the approach into Sky Harbor. Its going to be weird not seeing AWA flying overhead.
 
Last edited:

Pilotbob3

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2002
Posts
340
Total Time
16000+
that video was gay! AWA was an airline where no one was ever happy with the contract, pay and working conditions! people biitched there the whole time. sheesh
 

dane

I miss the MD80!!
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
Posts
51
Total Time
8000+
Hey pilotbob,:laugh:

your post certainly brought us back down to earth. I gotta laugh.:laugh:

Regards,

dane
 

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Posts
9,271
Total Time
5000+
What is really sad is that US Air's management "team" couldn't run its own airline worth a d@mn, and now there is a distinct possibility that they will take another airline out of existance right along with them.
 

PHXFLYR

USAir by default
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Posts
2,177
Total Time
>0;<1
Colleen Barrett , the 50 year old Vermont Hippie that is the President of Southwest was asked what she thought about the merger a few days after it was announced. She was quoted as saying "Doug Parker must be on drugs..." Gotta agree with her on this one. This thing is going to be a mess for years to come just on cultural issues alone. And I'm afraid our F/A's are going to get hosed on senority intergration,as will most other employee groups...:(


PHXFLYR:cool:
 

On Your Six

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Posts
4,509
Total Time
9,500
"Cactus" callsign at combined carrier?

Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.
 

Resume Writer

Registered User
Joined
Feb 7, 2004
Posts
1,121
Total Time
16 yrs
Pilotbob3 said:
that video was gay! AWA was an airline where no one was ever happy with the contract, pay and working conditions! people biitched there the whole time. sheesh
Really, PilotBob? The whole time? Are you sure? Were you there?

The culture when I started was very positive, team-oriented and hardly anyone complained about pay. A large percentage of the employees volunteered in the community to ensure a positive image for the company - and did it without hesitation. Everyone helped each other out, both on and off the job.

The change came when bankruptcy hit. Then we started to complain about pay because our salaries were cut to save the company. Through it all, the majority of people did whatever it took to keep the passengers flying on the airplanes.

The only thing I miss since my "departure" are my friends - pilots, FAs, rampers and customer service agents - the very people that you say were complaining about everything. These people were like my family. We grew up together; we went through marriages, babies being born, divorces and deaths of co-workers and family members.

I'm not sure how many people in this business can say their airline is like a "true" family to them and that they know more than 75% of the people they work with at their company. I count myself lucky to have been a part of the America West family.

Kathy
 

TWA Dude

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
3,666
Total Time
9999+
On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix?
The given part is irrelevant since we'll likely both end up on the USAirways certificate, but yes, we are definitely trying to keep the Cactus callsign. Probably won't happen, though.
 

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Posts
1,854
Total Time
2100
wait, where the heck have i been? usair and america west merged?
 

jetblue320

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Posts
572
Total Time
19000+
On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.
I sure hope so.....I personally think "Cactus" is the coolest callsign ever.


C yaaaa
 

miles otoole

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Posts
948
Total Time
10k+
On Your Six said:
Is it true that the AWA pilots are attempting to ensure that the "Cactus" callsign is still used for the combined carrier going forward given that the HQ is still in Phoenix? I think it makes sense - USAirways gets to keep its LAME paint scheme and AWA can keep the callsign.
Yawn. That's akin to keeping the "MRCOOL" license plate from the corvette that the F/A wife took in the divorce settlement.
 

pipejockey

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Posts
1,041
Total Time
0-9000
I don't get it. America West was the profitable airline that merged with a twice bankrupt in 2 years USAir, and its America West that has to lose its name and livery? I think its time to put an end to the USAirways brand. They had their chance. Even in the late 90's when things were booming they couldn't do well.
 

1IDBLKJEW

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Posts
18
Total Time
6000+
I laughed, I cried, It became part of me
 

Cactus-Wrench

Now LUV-Wrench :)
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Posts
39
Total Time
1
Yea the mess has already begun, half the techs (about 7 guys) in BWI, were given the option of relocating their toolboxes to such locations as LAX, LAS, where they must be a little short, or to the street. The other half (7 guys) in BWI will be rolling their tools into the USAIR shop in BWI this month. I'm quite sure the red carpet will be rolled out for these fine fellows. I believe I'd rather go to the dentist and have all of my teeth extracted than to walk in that shop, stairing at gentlemen with minimum 20 years eyeing me up.
I sincerely feel for all of the good folks still at AWA, the only real good times will be on the upper level at Rio Salado.




PHXFLYR said:
Colleen Barrett , the 50 year old Vermont Hippie that is the President of Southwest was asked what she thought about the merger a few days after it was announced. She was quoted as saying "Doug Parker must be on drugs..." Gotta agree with her on this one. This thing is going to be a mess for years to come just on cultural issues alone. And I'm afraid our F/A's are going to get hosed on senority intergration,as will most other employee groups...:(


PHXFLYR:cool:
 

Filkster

Bone crushed from fatigue
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Posts
75
Total Time
.00001
atrdriver said:
What is really sad is that US Air's management "team" couldn't run its own airline worth a d@mn, and now there is a distinct possibility that they will take another airline out of existance right along with them.
Check again turbo, AWA management team survives not the U crooks.
 

joevollers

rockingthenotsofreeworld
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Posts
205
Total Time
some
pipejockey said:
I don't get it. America West was the profitable airline that merged with a twice bankrupt in 2 years USAir, and its America West that has to lose its name and livery? I think its time to put an end to the USAirways brand. They had their chance. Even in the late 90's when things were booming they couldn't do well.

Marketing research has proven that in the world of business negative brand recogmition is better than no recognition.... When I got hired at cactus half of my freinds in Jersey thought I was going to work for a commuter airline..
 
Top