Falsifying his logbook, what do i do?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dcramer16

My roomate and I are living in Florida Banner Towing. We had a few beers the other night and he got to bragging and told me about how he has been adding in a few hours here and a few hours there in his logbook. I WAS MORTIFIED? I told him he was going to get caught and get his liscense taken away. He said he was just trying to get to the airlines quicker. I am really really worried about him. We have been friends for years. We joined a school together, learned to fly together, work together! He is a great guy and a better pilot than me. But he is also very thickheaded. He said there is no FAA secret police, or no airline secret police that is going to go through every entry in his logbook to verify it. He said he will get a "real" job quicker and nobody will find out. I disagree. I think he needs to buy a new logbook, transfer the flights he DID fly to the new one, and burn the old one. He said he can't even remember which flight he did fly and which flight he didn't. Apparently he has been doing it for months. I have heard of pilots getting fired in the past for this sort of thing, but I couldn't find any of these storys or reports online to show him. Sorry if I am rambling, but I am really worried about him! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As bad as it sounds, and even as wrong as it may be, I would never report him. I could never do that. But I have enough moral character that I would never do it.

Just wait. Karma WILL catch up to him at some point. There are no exceptions. Sometimes it takes a few years, but it never fails.

Oh please! I don't believe any of this about your "friend". It's you, that's the falsifier! Your story sounds made up and not from the heart.

As bad as it sounds, and even as wrong as it may be, I would never report him. I could never do that. But I have enough moral character that I would never do it.

Who would you report him too? Until he uses those false hours to apply for a certificate, the FAA could care less what he logs.

Now as for "moral character" it takes moral character to report him, not the other way around. Where is our society when we believe that moral character means NOT reporting violations to the appropriate authority?

My roomate and I are living in Florida Banner Towing. We had a few beers the other night and he got to bragging and told me about how he has been adding in a few hours here and a few hours there in his logbook. I WAS MORTIFIED? I told him he was going to get caught and get his liscense taken away. He said he was just trying to get to the airlines quicker. I am really really worried about him. We have been friends for years. We joined a school together, learned to fly together, work together! He is a great guy and a better pilot than me. But he is also very thickheaded. He said there is no FAA secret police, or no airline secret police that is going to go through every entry in his logbook to verify it. He said he will get a "real" job quicker and nobody will find out. I disagree. I think he needs to buy a new logbook, transfer the flights he DID fly to the new one, and burn the old one. He said he can't even remember which flight he did fly and which flight he didn't. Apparently he has been doing it for months. I have heard of pilots getting fired in the past for this sort of thing, but I couldn't find any of these storys or reports online to show him. Sorry if I am rambling, but I am really worried about him! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
He can log whatever he wants. It's his logbook. It may not be a legal or honest entry, but it's his logbook. On top of that, it's none of your business. Right or wrong, you are less than a friend to post info like that on this board. Especially when your screen name is your first initial and full last name.

BTW from your previous posts I believe that you are less than professional as an aviator. You are a rogue and a rat who has a less than sufficent level of aeronautical knowledge. I know that not only from this board, but second hand from friends who have shared a cockpit with you.

Good day.

Last edited:
Just wait. Karma WILL catch up to him at some point. There are no exceptions. Sometimes it takes a few years, but it never fails.

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw years ago. It said, "I think my Karma just ran over your Dogma." :nuts:

Who would you report him too? Until he uses those false hours to apply for a certificate, the FAA could care less what he logs.

No, this is not true. I can show you at least two seperate cases where fasification charges were brought against pilots for falsifying thier logbooks, and the the pilots' certificates were revoked. In both cases the falsified time was in thier logbooks only, had never been put on an 8710 or otherwise used to apply for a certificate or privelige. In fact, in at least one of those cases,(maybe both, I'd have to review) the pilot in question claimed exatly what you just said, that it wasn't falsification becuse they hadn't used the time to apply for a rating. Neither the FAA nor the NTSB was impressed by that argument, not even a little. In addition to those two NTSB cases, I beleive I can find others, which don't speak quite as directly to the sutuation at hand, but cite the well established principle that if it's false and in your logbook, it's falsification, regardless of whether or not you use it on an application.

If you're interested in reading the NTSB orders, I could dig them out for you.

Now as for "moral character" it takes moral character to report him, not the other way around. Where is our society when we believe that moral character means NOT reporting violations to the appropriate authority?

Nicely put.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back