• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falsifying his logbook, what do i do?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So how would the find out about these flight times?

Was he reported by someone else?

I'm just curious but how would the examiner know that someone had falsifed a logbook?

It usually comes up in an investigation for some other purpose. Guy has and accident, they review his logbooks, he has an *amazing* amount of time logged in a short period of time, raises a red flag, inspector does a little checking.

A Squared you are very much in the right here. I believe I have read about such litigation in my Aviation Law book. I am not at home right now, but when I do get home I will post the source you are speaking of.

It usually comes up in an investigation for some other purpose. Guy has and accident, they review his logbooks, he has an *amazing* amount of time logged in a short period of time, raises a red flag, inspector does a little checking.

Gotcha,

I've logged a lot of time in the family's 152. For a short time I was recording the hobbs time when I was flying in a seperate logbook that I kept in our aircraft. After a while I gave up on the idea. Basicly it was a pain in the butt. Of course I was flying the aircraft to my job, instructing all day and occasionally giving private instruction after flying home. I was flying a lot and was worried about someone questioning the time. It is hard for me to imagine how someone could find out if the time was false or not. I guess an NTSB accident investigation would do it. The slow hand of justice is sure thorough.

I have been busy moving and working at my new job I haven't posted for the last 5 months. So I am assuming you are refering to my posts condeming Ari Ben about 5 months ago, since that is about the only thing I have ever really posted about. So if you are questioning my professionalism, and integrity because of that...All I can say is they had a great PR campaign against me. Good for them. But no need to keep bringing up something irrelevant. If anyone is a rat, its you for bringing up something that happened almost half a year ago, and trying to stir up controversy and trouble. How professional is that?
Those of us who have read your posts have noticed your tendency to disclose information on here that is not appropriate. That is what makes you "less than professional". If you want to report his violation, do not do it on here. Report it to the proper authorities. As far as being a "rat" is concerned, you should attempt to handle this between yourselves before bringing it to the authorities so that he may relaize his error and correct his mistake.

That goes the same for your posts on Ari Ben.

If you want to report his violation, do not do it on here. Report it to the proper authorities. As far as being a "rat" is concerned, you should attempt to handle this between yourselves before bringing it to the authorities so that he may relaize his error and correct his mistake.

I do not want to report his violation, and will not "rat" on him. The question I had was basically "Is there anything I can tell him to make him change his mind?" This is not inappropriate. And I have tried to handle it on my own, and I do not know enough about other peoples experiences with this sort of thing, to convince him to stop. If I thought I could handle it on my own I wouldn't have asked for advice. Isn't this forum about asking for advice?

I know of a pilot who applied with a large Part 121 pax air carrier with some bogus GA time in his logbook. Trouble was, one of the logbook checkers used to be the head CFI where the airplane was based and caught the guy in a lie.

He didn't get the job. Does everyone who logs pen time get caught? No. But some do. It's the same with most every law.

For grins and giggles (I usually use a different cliche), please post the O&Os. Thanks A Squared!

Here's a link to the crow/perason Order:

http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/AVIATION/4008.PDF.

I mispoke earlier in that the "I didn't put it on an application so it's not falsification" defense wasn't specificly invoked in this case, but, they were found guilty of falsification, even though they hadn't used the time on an application.

From the Opinion:

It is crucial that pilot logbooks be free of knowing misrepresentations of fact in order that the FAA may effectively discharge it sresponsibility to promote air safety.

In this particular incident it was an airplane accident that led an inspector to review the logbooks of the pilots and he discovered that the two logbooks had a series of identical entries of PIC time on the same dates.

If you're playing the "split the time" game by "giving each other dual" you'd best sign the logbook of the "student". It's required anyway, and if you don't, you could get your certificates revoked for falsification. That's what happened in this case.

Here's the record from The Case of the Phantom Citation Copilot:

http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/AVIATION/4260.PDF.

In this one the guy with the cooked logbook did try the "I didn't put it on an application so it's not falsification" defense. He got his certificate revoked. In this case the falsification came to light becase an inspector was already investigating a possible (probable) flight without a required SIC, the logbook falsification was done to try to cover up, so the feds were already suspicious.

The Russian said:
A Squared you are very much in the right here. I believe I have read about such litigation in my Aviation Law book. I am not at home right now, but when I do get home I will post the source you are speaking of.

If you dig up other cases like this, I'd be interested in reading about them.

Another point is.... your cooked logbooks might not be found out unless there is another reason to dig.... The FAA can't be everywhere making sure everyone is doing the job properly... that is why we are called professionals. Pro's don't need the FAA looking over our shoulders making sure we are doing a good job...

Who would you report him too? Until he uses those false hours to apply for a certificate, the FAA could care less what he logs.

Now as for "moral character" it takes moral character to report him, not the other way around. Where is our society when we believe that moral character means NOT reporting violations to the appropriate authority?

Egg-zactly ! Did you see Anderson Cooper interviewing some idiot rapper on 60 minutes ? Take a look:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] NEW YORK, April 20 A code of ethics and business would prevent rap star Cam'ron from helping police, even if he were the victim, the rapper said in an interview in New York.

Cam'ron's revelation came in an interview with Anderson Cooper on how the hip-hop culture's idea of avoiding police undermined police efforts to solve murders, CBS said. Cooper's report airs Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes." "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move," Cam ' ron, whose real name is Cameron Giles, said. When Cooper said he'd talk to police if victimized, Giles told him, "(You are ) not going to be on the stage tonight in the middle of, say, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, with people with gold and platinum teeth and dreadlocks jumping up and down singing your songs, either." Yes, it's business, Giles said, "but it's still also a code of ethics." Rappers are concerned about maintaining their tough "street credibility," said Geoffrey Canada, an anti-violence advocate and educator from New York ' s Harlem. Fans look up to artists if they come from the "meanest streets of the urban ghetto" so they don ' t cooperate with police.
[/FONT]
"Street cred" ? Who gives a s*it ?

Latest resources

Back