Fallout from an age 60-Rule change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
Nope...I'm serious. PROFIT = making money. I see no paycuts in our future. Why would we need them?

Because the entire playing field is being ratcheted down around you.

I'm not wishing you and your company ill -- but I've learned to take the long and cynical view of the industry and management. Management does not love you, SWA/FO; just sayin'.

Spooky 1, I am done and have said my peace with the 60/65 issue, I hope. ;)

But I just hate to see some bad information spread around here from the arm chair quarterbacks that dont $hit about SWA or the industry in general.

Plus I suck at golf! :D

SWA/FO said:
Nope...I'm serious. PROFIT = making money. I see no paycuts in our future. Why would we need them?

You wouldn't, period! Your management team seems to have a grasp on the industry, and where its going. They know (based on their motto) to take care of employees, and they will take care of you, something the legacies have failed miserably at! The only problem I see with LUV is when/if the hedging comes up?!

737 Pylt said:
You wouldn't, period! Your management team seems to have a grasp on the industry, and where its going. They know (based on their motto) to take care of employees, and they will take care of you, something the legacies have failed miserably at! The only problem I see with LUV is when/if the hedging comes up?!

I have posted this before and will again.

After reading this 737 Pylt, do you think our hedges are still a problem?

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=66693

This paragraph alone sums it up:

"Competitors fares have increased to cover rapidly inflating fuel costs and have caused Southwest’s unit costs (or CASM) and unit revenue (or RASM) to become relatively lower than the competition. For example, from 2000 through 2Q 2002 Southwest’s unit costs averaged 40 percent below the major airline average, while unit revenue averaged 16 percent below. Over the past 24 months the relative level of Southwest’s unit costs has averaged 47 percent below the Majors, while unit revenues were 28 percent below. These huge unit cost and unit revenue gaps keep increasing, as the second quarter 2005 results show Southwest unit costs 65 percent below the major airline average and unit revenue 48 percent below. These gaps make Southwest more attractive to customers as Southwest fares fall further and further below other carriers. The increased unit cost gap is also interesting to investors as Southwest’s costs fall further below the competition, where industry CASM is now at an all time high pushing above 12 cents. Although fare adjustments relate directly to customer price sensitivity, which must be carefully watched, the fare “headroom” provided by competitors increasing fares allows a chance for Southwest to potentially pocket as much as $2 billion annually if it were to restore it’s historical relative fare gap of 16 percent below the competition (rather than the 28 percent below performance of the second quarter 2005)."

SWAdude said:
I have posted this before and will again.

After reading this 737 Pylt, do you think our hedges are still a problem?
I guess not! The LUV model is perfect in every aspect...The only problem that might rear its ugly head is if SW goes for a different aircraft type. I will be interested to see how B6 does in the long term having introduced a new type of airplane!

Skyboss said:
Then I guess we'll see what tune you're singing in a year.

Skyboss I cannot help but notice that you have no response to the fact that your information is grossly in error. We don't need to wait a year - you are out to lunch right now.

Flopgut said:
Should it not be the burden of those who want to change the rule to prove it is not a safety concern? If it has a zero effect on safety then why does ICAO require one pilot be below 60?

Maybe you would consider answering a legal question? If they change the rule to ICAO standards could we FOs who are under 60 simply refuse to fly with CAs over 60? The rule suggest there is a concern for this arrangement. It seems the FOs are being expoited.

Do you have a real name? (or one that is more acceptable in social circles)--it's really difficult to respond to "Flopgut" with a straight face! I'm sure you'll tell me it's some super secret aviation name! LOL!

I don't answer legal questions that request advice as that is not allowed.

No it's not my burden of proof. The ICAO requirement is a political issue to expediate passage of the rules. There are many, like you, who doubt the ability of those over 60 to function. Perception is 100% of the truth. So if there is tape on the passenger tray table, the whole plane is broken mythology applies! To get around that, they offer a mitigating solution that, while not based on fact, will get the job done politically.

But you should know that prior to now, medical science thought that the brain stops development at around age 20. Well Harvard has researched this, studying brains ranging from ages birth to 76. They focused on myelin, the insulation wrapped around the wires of nerve cells. Myelin affects how quickly you think, act, learn and process information. The study found that myelin increased dramatically in the fifth decade (33 percent) and more dramatically in the sixth decade ( 55 percent!). The later growth spurts all occurred in the part of the brain associated with emotional learning and memory, which may explain a lot about emotional maturity.

Until now, no studies have been done.

HR Diva

Last edited:
F9s' contract allows retirees to retain their seniority rights and come back when the law changes, if they wish. I think that says a lot about how we look at pilots' assets based on experience instead of age.

Are there any other airlines working to slip this side letter into their contract?

ivauir said:
Skyboss I cannot help but notice that you have no response to the fact that your information is grossly in error. We don't need to wait a year - you are out to lunch right now.

Keep on drinkin' the juice and chucking peanuts.

SWA/FO said:
Name one healthy (airline) company that has asked and gotten paycuts from its employees? None, most were near or in bankruptcy for that to happen. We would have to be near bankruptcy for this topic to come up and I don't see that happening.

Alaska:p

Latest resources

Back