• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fallout from an age 60-Rule change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those pay freezes were paired with stock options to offset that freeze.

Pay freeze maybe, but no pay cut. I don't think we will get paid more then what we do now in this environment. I think future raises will be based on profitability more so then before..

Last edited:
koko nw said:
Me thinks you have a HUGE hard on for the legacies because some one didn't get one of the 1000's of jobs that was available and just happens to latch on to SWA.

And this does not sound arrogant? I hate to rehash any of this but this is exactly the type of people that have been interjecting their opinions into a Southwest thread.

just happens to latch on to SWA

Having this opinion of a company that has always had a great labor relationship with it's workers proves that you know nothing, nor researched Southwest prior to your airline career. We all made choices, some good, some bad. There are some people out there who never applied to UAL, DAL, or AA, myself being one of them. I don't view myself as latching on to Southwest. The 30+ years of stability and employee relationships is what motivated me, not money.

Well, well, well...........lots of posts on how the age 60 rule benefits some and not others. Not a lot of comments regarding flight safety or physical ability to fly after 60 though. Just a bunch of system manipulation and misuse of a safety rule so someone can get something for themselves. As far as I'm concerned, if a 65 year old pilot can pass a class I medical and required checkrides, they should be allowed to fly. Last I checked we still evaluated "judgement" on flight checks. If an older pilot start to slip that would have to be addressed just the same as if someone younger gets into some mental difficulty. For what it's worth I have a long way to go before 60.

Benelli,

I think you made a good post. I do think it would have been better served on the SWAPA Forum. I think SWA/FO comes on a little strong, but I am sure he is not all bad. I am also tired of all the SWA cyber stalkers, and ego police. Some of you people need to click on every dang SWA thread and chime in with your legacy know all, and SWA pilots have ego's b.s. Please save it. People like to spin you up, and it is your own fault. All I can say is grow some skin. I truly believe the majority of SWA folks have humble origins, and are in touch with what needs to be done to be sucessful.

respectfully,

mdf.

Exactly.

I truly believe the majority of SWA folks have humble origins, and are in touch with what needs to be done to be sucessful.

I truly believe you are correct!! Just not the ones that say things like this:

Southwest is currently holding the bar up, repeat, holding the bar up on the industry. We are holding the line, saving the profession and you guys want us to give back our pay?

or

Let it rest guys.... we rule. end of story.

There are plenty more but you get the point. I will admit that most of the posts are coming from the same individuals. Unfortunatly every airline has them.

WhiteCloud said:
Well, well, well...........lots of posts on how the age 60 rule benefits some and not others. Not a lot of comments regarding flight safety or physical ability to fly after 60 though. Just a bunch of system manipulation and misuse of a safety rule so someone can get something for themselves. As far as I'm concerned, if a 65 year old pilot can pass a class I medical and required checkrides, they should be allowed to fly. Last I checked we still evaluated "judgement" on flight checks. If an older pilot start to slip that would have to be addressed just the same as if someone younger gets into some mental difficulty. For what it's worth I have a long way to go before 60.

Nicely put, it can be said without doubt there is no medical or proficiency reason a pilot cannot still fly for a part 121 airline up to age 65, to infer otherwise is absolute bulls**t. What we always degenerate to in this line of "discussion" is the politics of the profession.

When the age 60 rule was first instituted, I'm sure that there were pilot's adversely affected by the change. If the change occurs again there will be another adjustment period, sure upgrades will be affected but everyone get longer to "play".

As a pilot for 2 different airlines, both of which I term Rodney Dangerfield Airlines(ie, no respect from anyone anywhere), I get a kick out of seeing pilots battle over "swaggering rights." After the crushing egos of the legacy guys up until recently is it any wonder why some SWA types are starting to crow a little? And some guys are shocked, just shocked that an SWA type mentions circling Denver? Duh

Perhaps some of the animosity toward SWA and JB pilots evident on this forum stems from the fact they are the only 2 major airlines supporting the rule change. As I've posted before, many FO's will lose $millions by having their upgrades delayed 5 years. I find it only reasonable that these younger pilots might direct some of their frustration and anger over this proposed rule change at the 2 pilot groups that are cheerleading loudest for its change.

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
As I've posted before, many FO's will lose $millions by having their upgrades delayed 5 years.

So how do you figure that? They also get the opportunity to work 5 more years at at the top of the salary scale. Not everybody want to fly past 60 either or even 55 for that matter. Some get out at the first opportunity. Some move to management and some die. Even if they do lose some money they'll still be making pretty good money and have better schedules at the top of the FO list. If it's about safety after 60 I'm open for discussion. If it's about some FO's personal gain then it's an artificial system that needs to go away.

Latest resources

Back