Fallout from an age 60-Rule change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Flapgut or flopgut....

Do you know how to make paragraphs? Sure would make it easier to read your posts...

People might have a different perspective on this age 60 thing, if they worked for a "growth" company? Sure, everyone claims the JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest guys want this to past the most. Maybe that is a true statement.

Then some people claim its because we have no retirement....but, in my opinion it just might be that all these companies are GROWING and in the end it will not make a difference at those companies listed above. Plus, my fellow airmen working at JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest actually like going to work. That might factor in also. If you enjoy your work, you might want to do it longer... Not tapping that nest egg 5 years is/will be a good thing since we all need our money to last longer.

K. Marx said:
People on here are understandably very wrapped up in how this will affect their specific career. But the real issue is safety and making it to retirement without a violation. Iam sure their will be all kinds of posts about exceptions to the rule, but that is all they are. Just go through any aircraft transition class with people in their late 50's and you will be even more convinced it will hurt safety. Most pilots toward the end of their career will admit it is much harder for them to learn anything new. But they don't seem to recognize their skill in the aircraft is also slipping (even tough it is obvious when they can barely stay awake, or unable to stay awake on all nighters). I have flown with numerous older ca's that say they want to go past 60 because they are as sharp as they ever were. I think they actually believe it. If there truly is no difference then 64 yr olds should be able to fly with 64 yr olds. Clearly their is some sort of acknowledgment their that there is an issue with older pilots. Funny thing is they wouldn't be able to fly with other 60+'s but could still fly with newhires (and even be checkairmen?). Great combination there, old guy who can't hardly fly anymore with a new guy that is unlikely to question him. One thing is for certain though, my workload is much higher when I am flying with a 58yr old with many thousands of hours in the plane than with a 48 yr old with 100 hrs in the plane. I believe the older guys just can't or refuse to see that they are slipping. It seems to be a pretty steep slide from around 55 to 60 in my experience. Can't wait to see how much of one it is from 60-65. This may not be pc, but it is how just about every fo and even most Captains I know feel after years of flying with different age groups. Most people 64 can't even drive anymore, though they also don't realize it. This is just an accident looking for a place to happen.

You make a lot of statements but have no proof to back it up. I can say what I want too to make a point. But I have to then prove it! You have not proven it (or any of them).

Perhaps the pilot with 100 hours of experience is "more qualified" because they don't know anything! I personally know of a 50+ pilot who blew the younger guys away in Airbus initial training--that's computers folks!

It's not all about stereotypes. Not everyone at 50 is washed up. Not everyone at 60 is washed up.
And we all know of some who are younger than 50 who are washed up.

HR Diva

Last edited:
lostplnetairman said:
I personally know of a 50+ pilot who blew the younger guys away in Airbus initial training--that's computers folks!

It's not all about stereotypes. Not everyone at 50 is washed up. Not everyone at 60 is washed up.

HR Diva

Sounds like those exceptions to the rule Karl was talking about to me. I have been through initial training on many different ac and would strongly agree with Karl. The vast majority of them have a much harder time, and will actually admit it.

ACAFool said:
Sounds like those exceptions to the rule Karl was talking about to me. I have been through initial training on many different ac and would strongly agree with Karl. The vast majority of them have a much harder time, and will actually admit it.

Again, let's talk numbers, not your preconceived notions....

HR Diva

lostplnetairman said:
Again, let's talk numbers, not your preconceived notions....

HR Diva

Go ahead with your numbers then. Can you prove we are not right. We all see it, just some won't acknowledge it. People slow down in everything as they age. Their is no reason to think flying skills are exempt from this.

I just don't understand how people can think that just because you work for a GROWING company, that this has no effect. The entire airline labor cost model is based upon a fixed pay scale based upon seniority that terminates at 60. Please explain how this won't effect every airline, profitable or not.

ACAFool said:
Go ahead with your numbers then. Can you prove we are not right. We all see it, just some won't acknowledge it. People slow down in everything as they age. Their is no reason to think flying skills are exempt from this.

No, I asked YOU to prove the point. You just turned it around and demanded that I prove it.

HR Diva

lostplnetairman said:
No, I asked YOU to prove the point. You just turned it around and demanded that I prove it.

HR Diva

Conclusive studies have not been done yet. But again proof is in the flight deck every day we are out there. And again why would flying skills be exempt from aging. Besides the courts have already ruled the 60 rule is not discrimination. The rule stands at 60, so why would we need to prove anything to keep it.

ACAFool said:
But again proof is in the flight deck every day we are out there. And again why would flying skills be exempt from aging.

I Absolutely can not agree more. And I too rarely talk to another fo that does not say the same thing.

capt_zman said:
I just don't understand how people can think that just because you work for a GROWING company, that this has no effect. The entire airline labor cost model is based upon a fixed pay scale based upon seniority that terminates at 60. Please explain how this won't effect every airline, profitable or not.

Ofcourse it will affect it. To argue otherwise is ridiculous. Nearly anything has an affect on the finances. If it didn't affect the bottom line, one way or another, the companies would not have an opinion on the matter, because they would not care.

Latest resources

Back