• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Falcon 50ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LD, you seem to honestly love the EMB Jet. Maybe you should apply for a sales position with Embrare? You clearly have a passion for their products that I have not seen demonstrated by any other pilot for any other type of aircraft.

LD, you seem to honestly love the EMB Jet. Maybe you should apply for a sales position with Embrare? You clearly have a passion for their products that I have not seen demonstrated by any other pilot for any other type of aircraft.

Well, GV certainly loves his products...

And does a great job defending them, even if they don't require much in the way of defense.

You, sir, are a GD liar. Youve never RTOed in an EMB.

You are full of s---.

I swear I've never met a bigger bunch of....

Bah.

Ok, so now I'm full of "s---". I've flown EMB products with A1/3, A1, A1P and A1/E engines and can tell you from experience that they aren't as great as you portray them to be. As a matter of fact when my previous company started to accept them(we were the primary launch customer) your beloved embraers were shedding engines like DC3s.

Not full of "s---" at all, just "stating facts".

By the way, comparing the 50 against the legacy isn't really comparing apples to apples. If your going to compare the legacy against something close to its class compare it to the 2000ex or the 900ex. Those are closer to the legacy's MTW.

Last edited:
Well, GV certainly loves his products...

And does a great job defending them, even if they don't require much in the way of defense.

Well, who wouldn't love a Gulfstream or Falcon? But to show this kind of love for something like an Embrare, this is a rare thing.

Two words - operator error.

The Falcon brakes work well, IF you use them properly.

How do you "use them properly" any way? They are brakes. You press on them and they are supposed to stop the plane. It ain't frigging "rocket surgery." Duuhhhhhh.

It is hardly operator error. If you try to bear down on the Falcon brakes like you can on an EMB you are into anti-skid and they lurch. The EMB will stop much better than the 50.

When I flew the Legacy on a demo, yeah the brakes were fine, but they DO get hot, even on landing. To deny that would be a lie.

They do not get hot. A little systems knowledge would tell you that. Amber is not hot. "BRAKE OVERHEAT" is hot--and in almost 4,000 EMB hours I've never seen that.

Also the temperature at which you go into the amber range is lower on planes with ER brakes vs those with LR brakes. Depending on which the airplane you flew had would tell us a lot, but I can guarantee you they did not get "hot."

LD - Like I said earlier in the thread, the Legacy is an ok corporate shuttle. As a corporate aircraft to fly executives around, it's not very good. It's slow, noisy, and quite honestly, over-priced for what it does. Compare it to a G-IV on the pre-owned market. Same price, and the G-IV does MUCH more.

It is not noisy. Get that straight.

As for speed, Mach .80 is fine. We are limited to a max of .82M here any way so the .86M stuff does no good. Besides, coast to coast the difference is measured inside of ten minutes. The fuel burned to get there ten mins earlier is not worth it.

.80 is plenty.

What is a corporate shuttle any way? We fly our 50s as corporate shuttles with EXECUTIVES in the back so what is that??

I'm sure my old boss would love to hear he didn't use his Legacy as an "executive" aircraft whatever that means.

As for price, yes, I agree EMB is quickly losing the "value" argument, but it is a *rock solid* airplane.

Last edited:
Are you getting all of this c140? Your boss gonna buy a WSCofD .. err a Legacy yet or stick to the orginal question of Falcon 50EX

Ok, so now I'm full of "s---".

Unequivocally.

I've flown EMB products with A1/3, A1, A1P and A1/E engines and can tell you from experience that they aren't as great as you portray them to be.

Apparently you haven't. I know for a fact you've never flown a Legacy and your experience in any EMB is far from recent or your tune would be quite different. Don't bother talking smack, my friend...

As a matter of fact when my previous company started to accept them(we were the primary launch customer) your beloved embraers were shedding engines like DC3s.

Yeah, ten plus *YEARS* ago. We all know the teething problems of the Allison AE3007A and A1. The P, 3, and E are rock solid.

Not full of "s---" at all, just "stating facts".

Yeah, like the mythology you're trying to foist on us that you can't set the parking brake after an RTO. Get a grip man. I've done it. Your representation of what occurs is completely false.

By the way, comparing the 50 against the legacy isn't really comparing apples to apples. If your going to compare the legacy against something close to its class compare it to the 2000ex or the 900ex. Those are closer to the legacy's MTW.

This subject of this thread is the 50EX (and possible alternatives to it) not the 2000. If you want comparisons to the 2000 series start another thread.

Last edited:
When I flew the Legacy on a demo, yeah the brakes were fine, but they DO get hot, even on landing. To deny that would be a lie.

BTW, how hard did the pilot romp on the brakes to get them "hot" any way?

After a normal landing with normal braking you don't even get into the amber range (250 degrees C). That's a far cry from overheat (420 degrees C or greater). I've done max braking demonstrations before and got halfway up the amber bar after I parked (for those that wonder--because the brakes release built up heat over time it takes 15-20 minutes to see the max temperature they'll reach), but NEVER have I seen an overheat condition.

Indeed, for normal landings with moderate braking I can't even recall the brakes getting out of the green band.

(At least I had the indicator in the EMB, unlike the 50...) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I have done demo pilot work for them in the past. Nothing special. But I tend to know the airplane better than even their own guys do.

I'm simply trying to keep the record accurate on the airplane. It is a great jet. Contrary to what is being said by some here, every current and former Legacy pilot I know loves the airplane. Then again, the people I worked with have been flying the Legacy longer than any operator in the world.

Trust me, if someone unfairly bashed the Falcon the way people around here do the Legacy I would be equally empassioned in my defense of the Dassault.

Latest resources

Back