Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
Okay, I'll admit it: I just had an ugly picture painted in my head by a certain former EAL striker, and I need someone to hold me and tell me everything'll be okay. :)

I've noticed that since the informational picketing began in ATL a while back, my fellow ASA pilots have become more and more militant. It seems everybody I talk to is "ready to walk."

The question that was put to me is this: if the ASA pilots are released and walk, what's to stop the company from cutting the strikers off at the knees by taking ASA's assets and scabs--and let's not kid ourselves; there will be scabs--and rolling them into the rest of DCI (i.e. Comair), thus eliminating us troublesome ASA pilots altogether?

Is such a scenario worth worrying about? Or is this unlikely?

Last edited:
Then we walk and get jobs in the same or other fields that offer superior compensation and recognition. The industry will take note and we'll have contributed to raising the bar. Besides, Drew, Chuck and Skip aren't necessarily looking to change jobs either. Don't forget, unlike Eastern, ASA makes a little money.
cc

I would think that Comair would be your last worry about flying struck work or allowing scabs on thier list. They would be among your strongest allies.

Last edited:
PAn AM closed for good, Pilots are gone!

Even though it's on a smaller scale, look waht just happened to the ALPA Pan AM pilots....They closed the company, turned in the Pan AM certificate and are adding the 72's to the Boston maine Certficate and will fly them with new BMA crews...They are even moving all there ops, Mx to SFB next month...

So dont think this senerio has not been discussed by the Big GO next door....these are extreme times and strange out of the box crap has happened and will again...good luck and be careful what you ask for....

I may be union dumb, but wouldn't that still be considered struck work? As in, no ALPA carrier would be able to fly it, as it would mean crossing the line. After all, there is a readily accessible schedule of ASA flights, and if another DCI carrier were to build up routes duplicating ASA's old schedule, well, there'd be troube I'd think.

If the "struck work" moniker disappears when the assets are transferred and the certificate is dissolved, well then I suppose that it's possible. But it would still be shady and I know the Comair pilots would not sanction it. Still, if this was such a good idea, why was this not done during the Comair strike?

Last edited:
sweptback said:
...Still, if this was such a good idea, why was this not done during the Comair strike?
You mean the failed Comair strike?

Militancy is fabulous, BUT good luck getting released from the NMB. Trust me I speak from exprience. Expect to be worn down in recess till it is not worth it anymore. Special thanks to the charlatan Bush voters who claim to care about the bottomless pit this profession is headed towards.

Last edited:
Axel said:
You mean the failed Comair strike?
OK here comes the "heat"....You can call the Comair strike a lot of things but the only failure is that DAL didn't recognize a determined pilot group sooner!
Funny how much money this "Major" adds to the bottom line while paying the benifits it does.

Stand your ground this industry is headed back up! All signs point to a multi-year market growth period of which our industry will be an intrinsic part. Never listen to cynics they have absolutly nothing to add they only subtract!

Remember a united front has "NEVER" been defeated. You only lose when you give up! Good luck and may your strenth be Herculian...you're gonna' need it!:)

Last edited:
The management of airlines will always be negotiating. That is the job of managers. Their sole purpose is to achieve the most amount of money with a set of assets. The managers at ASA only have to be as accountable as the departure coordinator does. Really doesn't matter cause you can blame the pilots for everything. ASA management really doesn't care if the pilots strike cause they then will look to Delta to call "Uncle" and provived a solution.

I believe, therefore, one must consider the value of their job.
Can you easily replace your salary?
Do you have to be a pilot?
Do you have to work for an airline?
Are you willing to leave your current position?

Strikes are visious actions to sway management to act. I don't believe any of us want to strike or to be known as such. However, I believe that the state of the industry has made each of us take a look at each of these questions and the term strike may have a new meaning. Many people have mentioned that the quality of life and pay at the Regional level are acceptable only for a short term. This may be the reason the majority of ASA pilots will vote to strike, simply to give it one attempt prior to a simple resignation.

Strike

Keep in mind I am but a lowly 'regional' FO with a family, mortgage, and a pile of debt. But if you guys are released and do strike, I will support you guys to the fullest, including your pickets and strike fund! Good luck. I think we're all gonna need it in the coming year.

Latest resources

Back