• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Failed Checkride Poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obviously you've never had the pleasure of working for a carrier with a 50% bust rate. I have: ACA ca 1999-2000 when more than half the CRJ captain candidates pincked on their upgrade. A few years later at World 6 FO's pinked on their recurrent in a relatively short time-frame. Must be a lot of "well-trained candidates" simply having "bad days." Your "hundreds of PC's" don't give you a snapshot outside of your own carrier. There are a lot of low-budget, substandard training departments out there with a lot of reprehensible, low-life dirtbags running around with their little pink pads and tiny wangs.

I can remember more than one of apologist at ACA who came from another training program within the company. He publicly berated those who failed as simply "not devoting themselves" to the CRJ training program. He had the shortsightedness of making this statement just before going through the training program himself -- and failing. Your statement is eerily similar.

As long as checkrides are subjective, they should not be used as a sole determinant in whether one gets to continue feeding their families. Have a computer grading the event is a step in the right direction.

You are taking the words right out of my mouth, thanks!

Have a computer grading the event is a step in the right direction.

Be careful what you wish for. Computers may be helpful in automating the grading process, but unless they are programmed to grade on a curve (fuzzy logic), you might end up with unnecessary failures as well. Check airmen should not have a "lifetime" appointment to the position. Maybe allowing them to only serve for 2 years might be a good start... sort of like term limits.

Often, the failure says more about the training than about the candidate.

Case in point- we had a few years at AAI where the failure rate for initial Upgrade was over 50%.

In 20+ years, I have never failed a checkride, but that doesn't mean I won't fail the next one, especially given the fact that in 5 years I have had zero training. Nothing but PC's.
Were those the low time pilots you guys hired who came up for upgrade. You might give some more facts. Include how you helped fix your predicament. Each upgrade/student is an individual. Try not to forget that. And if you haven't learned anything in 5 years, not goin on your jumpseat, you don't even have a say-so in this argument. C'mon, they had to teach you something. Be honest. Fly safe.

MR. BABBITT: Senator, by my calculations you have just made one mistake by incorrectly identifying the airline involved in the Hudson River accident. Because of your mistake, I respectfully request you abide by your own wishes onto others and discontinue your service as a senator immediately. Good day.

I agree this Babbitt is an idiot but maybe I'm reading this all wrong but I think he is using two examples. Sully in the first one, and Haines "United 232" in the second. Am I wrong? Thats how I read it. If I'm wrong fire me, I just made a mistake in my ability to read and comprehend. Shouldn't be controlling planes then.

there should be a Mulligan on every checkride. but as long as you don't bust altitude, breach an FAR, or get lost, I'm told by most vets, that's a passable ride. all the other crap is subjective.

Some of you guys are getting worked up for nothing. While it makes a good conversation this could never fly. New pilots would disappear. Who would spend the $$$ to get into this knowing you are one bust away from losing it all. Current pilot ranks would start to thin out due to checkride busts. You want to talk about a pilot shortage!! They better get those UAV airliners in the pipeline pronto!

It was my ATR type ride (my 4th type at the time). The ride was one of the best rides I've ever taken. I busted for going 60' below MDA on base to final turn, during a single engine circle to land NDB in the ATR sim.

You forgot, was'nt your lavatory on fire, both generators inop, gear stuck in the up position, auto feather failure, flight controls jammed and you were the IOE Captain giving OE to a new first officer on his first day, in severe icing conditions, and you just happened to have had the fish instead of the chicken! I love how the fail always happened single engine NDB Circle to Land!

It was my ATR type ride (my 4th type at the time). The ride was one of the best rides I've ever taken. I busted for going 60' below MDA on base to final turn, during a single engine circle to land NDB in the ATR sim.

You forgot, was'nt your lavatory on fire, both generators inop, gear stuck in the up position, auto feather failure, flight controls jammed and you were the IOE Captain giving OE to a new first officer on his first day, in severe icing conditions, and you just happened to have had the fish instead of the chicken! I love how the fail always happened single engine NDB Circle to Land!

As I said, the guy was an Ahole...... Probably still is...... IMHO, a SE, circle to land NDB is a multiple emergency!

He had a pretty good crosswind built in for the outbound NDB track too, but that wasn't the issue.....

As I said, the guy was an Ahole...... Probably still is...... IMHO, a SE, circle to land NDB is a multiple emergency!

He had a pretty good crosswind built in for the outbound NDB track too, but that wasn't the issue.....

Real nice guy running the sim! I would like to see him shoot that approach!

Real nice guy running the sim! I would like to see him shoot that approach!

The approach was no problem. Kind of a chicken******************** thing to do on a type ride. The grading of it was the problem, which was my original point. It was a good approach, with one, gray area "mistake" on the visual part.

Anyone can bust anyone on a checkride.

Latest resources

Back