Failed Checkride Poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What Babbit should have said was...

"Last time I checked, the space shuttle doesn't fly to and from the moon 5 times a day 10-20 times per month every month!!!! That is not a valid analogy Senator, perhaps you are not the best person to decide acceptable training standards since you cannot make a logical argument."

No kidding, I recall reading somewhere that the estimated disaster potential during space shuttle development was 1 for every 85 missions. (with that kind of potential we would have something like 1000 disasters a day)

We aren't going to the moon...we are flying to Miami.

Lautenberg is saying this! That guy is a farking fossil. He's in the starting line up of prime evidence that term limits are the right policy...

2, maybe 3 CONSECUTIVE busts may be something to look at.

ANYONE can bust a flight check, it dont take much effort to do.

These idiot polititions have mucha grande balls to think they know anything about our jobs on the road.

I think the colgan pilot was very inexpereinced and that was a big part of the crash. BUT, he should've been singled out long ago and given more training.

What Babbit should have said was...

"Last time I checked, the space shuttle doesn't fly to and from the moon 5 times a day 10-20 times per month every month!!!! That is not a valid analogy Senator, perhaps you are not the best person to decide acceptable training standards since you cannot make a logical argument."

I'd like to nominate you for anything that has to do with government oversight.

good post.

SEN. LAUTENBERG: --who took that airplane down past my apartment building, by the way, on the way to the river. I wasn't home then, but, you know, how do we know that the react time, that the training is sufficient as the captain did on the United flight that saved over 150 lives.

MR. BABBITT: Senator, by my calculations you have just made one mistake by incorrectly identifying the airline involved in the Hudson River accident. Because of your mistake, I respectfully request you abide by your own wishes onto others and discontinue your service as a senator immediately. Good day.

MR. BABBITT: Senator, by my calculations you have just made one mistake by incorrectly identifying the airline involved in the Hudson River accident. Because of your mistake, I respectfully request you abide by your own wishes onto others and discontinue your service as a senator immediately. Good day.

Brilliant! Simply brilliant!

Wouldn't it be ironic if Sully had busted a checkride at some point during his career?

What say ye then, Mr Senator?

Last edited:
If the goverment changes the rules so that one bust means you lose your job, then airlines will change what it means to "bust" a line or sim check. I can see them coming up with a process whereby you only bust if you deserve to lose your job, but anything else is considered a pass, but you need additional training.

Often, the failure says more about the training than about the candidate.

Case in point- we had a few years at AAI where the failure rate for initial Upgrade was over 50%.

In 20+ years, I have never failed a checkride, but that doesn't mean I won't fail the next one, especially given the fact that in 5 years I have had zero training. Nothing but PC's.

Thats exactly how I feel ! Good post!

Latest resources

Back