Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Love and Happy Christian Holidays,

Whoa! Somebody skipped their meds!

I'll never forget reading the Gospel according to St. Matthew, especially the part where he tells his followers to "turn the other cheek, but only until you can draw-down and kill 'em!"

Let's see if your Christianity allows you to fill in the blanks: " ____ thy enemy..."

Bonus: "...as we _____ those who trespass against us."

Crawl back under your rock, dork.

As a "yank" who has been here quite a while, I feel that I can clear up a few points.

No longevity pay raises - not true. There is a "non-contractual" annual pay step of 3%. In the 12 years that I have been here, they have never not paid the increment but it will state in your contract that you are only guaranteed what your pay is your first year. The April/May pay review is to review the overall scale. The last few years have seen some pay increases but a few years before that we did receive a pay cut in the form of a "cost neutral pay adjustment". It cost me about $1300/month at the time. As far as pay goes, you will be at the mercy of the market which presently is working in our favor. The company is very cost conscious so they will pay you the very least that they feel they can get away with.

The training department doesn't like "yanks". I would have to disagree. What they don't like is pilots who come thinking that they are going to do things their own way and who can't be told anything. We've had a lot of Americans join in the last few years and the vast majority of them have come with an open mind, worked hard and been accepted. There have been a few (as there would be from anywhere else) who have come with an attitude and have had a more difficult time. Any airline has its own cockpit culture which you are going to have to adapt to.

Training pay of $5600/month. I wish. The base allowance for a TRI is $1700/month and for a TRE it's $2000/month. A lot of us have been making a lot more because they are so short of trainers, we are making boatloads of overtime.

Not receiving credit towards flight duty time for time spent in the bunks on ULH flights - unfortunately true. With the difficulty in crewing that they are currently having and with what we expect to see next year, look to see this used more and more to cover flights. The last time they used this scheme in any big way, pilots were flying 120-140 hours per month.

Inflation has been a huge factor the past few years and the company has simply not kept up. The falling dollar is partly to blame and is making it more and more difficult to attract or retain pilots from countries with strong currencies (Europe/Australia etc.) thus, they have been recruiting strongly in the U.S.. Ironically, the weak dollar is helping to prop up Emirates financial results - most of their receipts are in stronger currencies while they report in UAE Dirhams which is directly tied to the dollar. It is also true that nationals receive additional pay in the form of a "national allowance". Right now it is about $1100/month. This was "quietly" instituted this year and it remains to be seen if they will use it to increase the pay disparity between locals and expats. (Any bets?)

As far as your treatment, they are trying to treat people better because the market is dictating that they have to. Accommodation is a crap shoot. For ten years I was in a place that I really didn't like and the company wasn't very receptive or helpful. 2 years ago I was finally moved and I am very happy with where I'm at now. If you don't like where they put you, it will have a huge impact on your overall satisfaction with Emirates/Dubai. As far as the allowance goes, it sounds good but will only cover a fraction of your rent and utilities so unless you are going to buy - stay in company accommodation.

Moving half-way around the world for a job is a big step and life here is certainly not for everyone. If you are considering it, do yourself, your family and even Emirates a favor and do your homework. Some people like it and some hate it. No one is right or wrong. The only thing that matters is how you and your family like it. There are lots of positives and lots of negatives about coming here so make sure you are aware of both.

Now that was the most level-headed post I've read in a while. Thanks for that.

I'm surprised how many narrow-minded people there are in this industry, based on the comments that always arise regarding the M.E. or South Asian country. How can you judge a place you've never been to and certainly know little about? That's like me judging all of New Jersey and the entire East Coast New England area just because of my experiences at EWR.

Dubai and EK have many upsides. If I weren't already entrenced at a major, I would certainly consider it.

As if the US is any better... we've become prisoners in our own socities with political-correctness run amuck. Offend someone, and you may lose your career. In no time we will be like the USSR with the thought police running our every move.

Advise for those considering overseas work. Be very open minded and have sense of humor...Remember "Your not in Kansas any more".

Hi!

Speaking of the -380, if you like working with flight attendents, Emirates' -380s will have 28 per flight.

cliff
YIP

UGH!!!! I can barely deal with 3 of 'em, never mind 28. Don't care how hot they are....

PHXFLYR:cool:

You know me well!

coleger, gillegan; can you tell me about language, is English popular, have you had the need to pick up local languages'?

What about health, do you have a family Doctor (or airline medical dept.), are hospitals (ER's) easy to use, good, normal to what we would be used to in the States?

Freinds or co-workers; have you meet people to socialize with, or are you board with no one else long way from a culture you grew up with?

tnks

What about days-off??

I'm surprised no one has asked about days-off. How many a month, etc, etc. Can you travel back to the states on your days off?

Not true at all. You do however have to send them an email telling them you are leaving the country and where to. There is no asking. Period

This is the reason I started this thread, to clear up many questions I had about Emirates. I did laugh the other day when I saw a camel in the back of a truck though. Quick reminder that I am not in the US for sure.

I know pilots at EK. They said that the email you talk about (asking for permission in my book), CAN be denied by Scheduling. TRUE or false...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back