Facts and Opinions on Emirates Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Speaking of the -380, if you like working with flight attendents, Emirates' -380s will have 28 per flight.

cliff
YIP

I did laugh the other day when I saw a camel in the back of a truck though. Quick reminder that I am not in the US for sure.

I nearly crashed my car while laughing my a$$ off the first time I saw a camel in the back of the Toyota pickup with a couple of sheep packed around it-- I guess as packing material.

As a "yank" who has been here quite a while, I feel that I can clear up a few points.

No longevity pay raises - not true. There is a "non-contractual" annual pay step of 3%. In the 12 years that I have been here, they have never not paid the increment but it will state in your contract that you are only guaranteed what your pay is your first year. The April/May pay review is to review the overall scale. The last few years have seen some pay increases but a few years before that we did receive a pay cut in the form of a "cost neutral pay adjustment". It cost me about $1300/month at the time. As far as pay goes, you will be at the mercy of the market which presently is working in our favor. The company is very cost conscious so they will pay you the very least that they feel they can get away with.

The training department doesn't like "yanks". I would have to disagree. What they don't like is pilots who come thinking that they are going to do things their own way and who can't be told anything. We've had a lot of Americans join in the last few years and the vast majority of them have come with an open mind, worked hard and been accepted. There have been a few (as there would be from anywhere else) who have come with an attitude and have had a more difficult time. Any airline has its own cockpit culture which you are going to have to adapt to.

Training pay of $5600/month. I wish. The base allowance for a TRI is $1700/month and for a TRE it's $2000/month. A lot of us have been making a lot more because they are so short of trainers, we are making boatloads of overtime.

Not receiving credit towards flight duty time for time spent in the bunks on ULH flights - unfortunately true. With the difficulty in crewing that they are currently having and with what we expect to see next year, look to see this used more and more to cover flights. The last time they used this scheme in any big way, pilots were flying 120-140 hours per month.

Inflation has been a huge factor the past few years and the company has simply not kept up. The falling dollar is partly to blame and is making it more and more difficult to attract or retain pilots from countries with strong currencies (Europe/Australia etc.) thus, they have been recruiting strongly in the U.S.. Ironically, the weak dollar is helping to prop up Emirates financial results - most of their receipts are in stronger currencies while they report in UAE Dirhams which is directly tied to the dollar. It is also true that nationals receive additional pay in the form of a "national allowance". Right now it is about $1100/month. This was "quietly" instituted this year and it remains to be seen if they will use it to increase the pay disparity between locals and expats. (Any bets?)

As far as your treatment, they are trying to treat people better because the market is dictating that they have to. Accommodation is a crap shoot. For ten years I was in a place that I really didn't like and the company wasn't very receptive or helpful. 2 years ago I was finally moved and I am very happy with where I'm at now. If you don't like where they put you, it will have a huge impact on your overall satisfaction with Emirates/Dubai. As far as the allowance goes, it sounds good but will only cover a fraction of your rent and utilities so unless you are going to buy - stay in company accommodation.

Moving half-way around the world for a job is a big step and life here is certainly not for everyone. If you are considering it, do yourself, your family and even Emirates a favor and do your homework. Some people like it and some hate it. No one is right or wrong. The only thing that matters is how you and your family like it. There are lots of positives and lots of negatives about coming here so make sure you are aware of both.

Last edited:
Apply and check it out. At a minimum it is a free mini vacation to see Dubai. I went last fall and it was a blast. They put you up in a very nice hotel for 5 nights and you get like $100 per day for food if I remember correctly. I declined day 2 and 3 of screening and spend the rest of my stay being a tourist. It's 3 full days of screening so if you are not interested in the job than you can withdraw out of the process after day 1 and you still get your full hotel/food. It was a neat visit but there is no way in heck I would ever move there... total crap hole of a society.

Check out pprune. There is a ton of very negative info regarding EK & Dubai that will steer you well clear of joining Emirates.

Last edited:
Is that why you were having accommodation problems Nino? Because you wanted the FA tower instead of the Pilot tower? Figures buddy.....:rolleyes:

Training pay of $5600/month. I wish. The base allowance for a TRI is $1700/month and for a TRE it's $2000/month. A lot of us have been making a lot more because they are so short of trainers, we are making boatloads of overtime.

The training pay of $5600 I was talking about is the pay you receive as a new hire while in training. It's your base salary, once you start flying you get a little extra that brings your take home pay between 6 and 7 thousand.

Can yourself and family fly for free on flights anywhere in the system?

There is no flying free here except for the one time a year the company flies you back to your home country for vacation.
There are 3 different types of tickets you can purchase two are standby and one is a firm seat. You and your immediate family are allowed to purchase these. Parents are allowed and sometimes brothers and sisters in law can get some as well. No buddy passes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back