• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA to JAA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like this could be classified as private flying. In that case you might be able to apply for a validation. CAA of Sweden might give you a license (validation) based on FAA Certificate allowing you to fly Swedish registered planes, normally restricted to one year. This used to be straightforward and I know FAA pilots who did this (long time ago). Suggest you e-mail them and ask about it. The key word is validation and that this will be private flying. Could allow corporate flying without an Air Operators Certificate? (Same as FAR 91) http://www.luftfartsstyrelsen.se/templates/LS_InfoSida_70_30____38148.aspx

It is possible that you can do this on your FAA certificate - so keep if simple if you can. Can't quite see that the links above clarifies this. There are at least two issues to consider.
1) Does FAA allow it (I think part 61 and 91 permits this)
2) When operating a foreign aircraft within the US does the FAA also require that you comply with the regulations from the foreign country where the aircraft is registered? ...and if so what does the Swedish CAA require?

A quick call to your local FAA office would probably be a good start.

Last edited:
Lots of info on FAA to JAA but does anyone know of any schools here in the US that does JAA to FAA? Thanks.

How do US airlines that lease foreign registered aircraft get around that? I know Allegheney had a bunch of foreign registered Dash 8s at one point. And USA 3000 regularly leases UK registered A320s that are flown by U.S. pilots.

If those airplanes registration numbers begin with anything other than an N, a validation is required from whatever country the plane is registered in. My certificates are FAA, but I am flying a French registered CRJ in Africa. I currently hold a JAA validation from France but it is only valid for the two CRJs that my company owns or leases whatever they are doing with them... Obtaining a validation through an airline is no big deal (if they are willing to sponsor it). It took me 4 days and I didnt have to do anything.

Lots of info on FAA to JAA but does anyone know of any schools here in the US that does JAA to FAA? Thanks.

All of them that can sponsor a visa. That'd be any 141 program.

It's just like doing it all over again. Pass the instrument, commercial and ATP written and pass the practicals. The hours given in another country's airspace by an authorized instructor in that country count toward the requirements for a US license as do the aeronuatical experience requirements gained in other countries.

You don't have to do the PPL since the US will issue you a PPL that affords you the same privledges as your issuing country based on that license being current and you have a current US flight review.

You can get that at any FSDO. There is usually one guy that specializes in the conversion especially in FSDOs that are located in areas dotted with flight schools. (i.e. PHX, Florida.) That person is a wealth of information on the requirements.

you need a jaa multi ppl. You dont need to do 14 written exams. thats for a Fronzen ATPL.

You have a FAA cert, so you have to do 2 easy written tests. and a radio exam. couple hours flight training and a flight test. thats all.

you can do the multi at naples. in florida. or flyaaa.com in san diego.

there is no way getting around not having a jaa cert and flying it in the US.

Latest resources

Back