Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Rest Rules: Impact on COMMUTING (doc pgs 89-92, 25)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
care to rationalize why you should be paid more than someone who lives in domicile to show up to work ready for work?

I am tired of baby sitting the cross country commuters who are "tired" when we start and usually say something like "yeah man, I just came in from a 5 hour commute, I'm beat, watch me would ya?" WTFO.

Unfortunately, the way planes and routes and bases get swapped around these days, the same people who make statements like above will be crying the opposite.

Too bad there is so much "it's all about me and what affects me this particular second" these days and no real "union" sentiment.

Do people like the above just live in short term leases like gypsies and move every second their companies decide to switch things up? Haven't yet? Oh they WILL...don't worry.

care to rationalize why you should be paid more than someone who lives in domicile to show up to work ready for work?

I am tired of baby sitting the cross country commuters who are "tired" when we start and usually say something like "yeah man, I just came in from a 5 hour commute, I'm beat, watch me would ya?" WTFO.

I would agree that someone should not be paid "extra" for not living in base, however, what are you going to do when you get displaced from your cozy little base? Move? Does your company offer a realistic relocation package? Will they buy your house if it doesn't sell or pay your the difference if market conditions deteriorate? Will they pay to move your family's household goods? Will they pay to move your vehicles? What if they move your from DFW to JFK, are they going to give you a cost-of-living adjustment? What if a year later they decide to displace you to ANC? Are they going to pay that move to?

My point is that if the airlines and/or government is going to force you move to a new base every time some crew planning bean counter decides he has a more efficient way to staff the airline or XYZ airlines decides to open a new base, there needs to be some system in place that requires the company pay these expenses. I know our CBA covers some moving expenses but it is limited. I have a friend who works in middle management for a large corporation. When he was forced to move to keep his job they stepped up the the plate and fully covered the expenses I mention in the above paragraph. Will your airline?

Are you really that brain dead?

To be realistic about hiring, SWA lines have to return to 07 levels of around 90 plus hours a month. We need to grow ten percent to hit that mark before SWA "breaks even" with current manning levels.

Ahhh...You should disclose that you work with only one aircraft type and a couple of bases...If you get bought do you really believe you would not have to commute? Do you really think an acquiring airline would want to put up with the ridiculous rules of operating out of the DAL "LUV" airport when they could force you to move to somewhere like Chicago? Maybe the next step would be forcing you to live on Chicago's South side because it would be where you could best report in a specified # of minutes? (Just an example...could insert any city/neighborhood into it for discussion sake)...Then they decide, nope...new traffic reduction rules from the govt...we're putting a base in West Virginia...move again...sell those last few houses too...
That is what you are setting up for YOUR future with such a stance about "commuters" as if it will never affect you. Unless you are retiring this year, don't get comfy

That is what you are setting up for YOUR future with such a stance about "commuters" as if it will never affect you. Unless you are retiring this year, don't get comfy

...I take that back...don't you geezers get comfy either because all that could happen, then the age limit gets raised again, just as your 401k tanks and pension gets raided and you "have" to stay...stapled near the top of the bottom of an acquiring carriers list (and remember, no good merger policy with your in house union against a larger acquiring one).

See, everything does come back to "Kevin Bacon," no matter where you THINK you stand. :cool:

Guess you won't have to worry about the new rest rules affecting crew requirements which could prompt an airline to open up some unsavory INTERNATIONAL domiciles to pass costs on to the crews, either, so...

Last edited:

Cause I keep getting F#$%^#& furloughed and I have no F%$#^&*$ idea where I am gonna get based! Yes i would love to live in base but this sh&^ keeps me from doing so. If you are going to subject me to it then pay for my move or pay me for the extra time! and dont give me that SH^% about "Finding another career".

Last edited:
Does anyone think that all non commuting pilots are resting before flying a redeye? Plenty of them are out running errands doing c************************* or playing sports.

It is impossible to effectively regulate commuting. Anything that says otherwise is political pandering. This too shall pass.

It is impossible to effectively regulate commuting. Anything that says otherwise is political pandering. This too shall pass.

Very likely true...the really stupid part is that the general public is probably cheering this on, until flights at outstations are delayed the following days...

Are they even still doing the 3 hr tarmac delay fines or was that just a big show for a month too? More of the same.

The only thing our respective companies care about are butts in the seat for push. They aren't going to invest in the resources to monitor where you are and how long you've been there.

Latest resources

Back