Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Rest Rules: Impact on COMMUTING (doc pgs 89-92, 25)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Voice Of Reason

Reading Is Fundamental !
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/FAA_2010_22626.pdf

p89-92:

"M. Commuting
The impact of commuting to a duty station has been linked to increased fatigue,
most recently in the crash in Buffalo, New York. Commuting is common in the airline
industry, in part because of lifestyle choices available to pilots by virtue of their being
able to fly at no cost to their duty station, but also because of economic reasons
associated with protecting seniority on particular aircraft, frequent changes in the
flightcrew member’s home base, and low pay and regular furloughs by some carriers that
may require a pilot to live someplace with a relatively low cost of living. While
commuting to a duty station can be handled responsibly (particularly assuming one has
the means), it is also subject to abuse.
The only current impediment to irresponsible commuting in the FAA’s
regulations is the general requirement in part 91 that pilots report to work fit for duty.
CAP-371 provides that if journey time from home to normal home base is more than 1.5
hours, crew members should consider making arrangements for temporary
accommodation nearer to base. This provision is not mandatory.
The ARC unanimously recommended that pilots be reminded of their existing
obligations under part 91 to report to work fit for duty, but that the FAA impose no new
requirements. The FAA has tentatively rejected this approach.
Commuting is fundamentally a fitness for duty issue. If a flightcrew member
commutes irresponsibly, it is possible that he or she may become fatigued. A responsible
commuter plans his or her commute to minimize its impact on his or her ability to get
meaningful rest shortly before flying, thus fulfilling the proposed requirement that he or
she reports for an FDP rested and prepared to perform his or her assigned duty.
The FAA considered proposing a requirement similar to the one in CAP-371
mandating that pilots arrive at the pilot’s domicile airport in time to receive the pre-flight
rest period in that area prior to commencing flight. At first blush, this approach has
appeal, in that it would require a flightcrew member to have an opportunity for rest
immediately prior to commencing an FDP. However, because commuting constitutes an
activity conducted by a pilot on his or her own time, it is difficult to regulate. In addition, a strict commuting regulation, such as one that requires a pilot to report to a duty station
area well in advance of the scheduled flight, would not necessarily result in more
responsible commuting. A pilot could choose to commute during times that interfere
with his or her WOCL (for example, taking a red eye for an afternoon flight), leaving him
or her less rested for flight. This approach could also discourage responsible commuting.
For example, today a flightcrew member can catch a mid-morning flight to his or her
duty station and then commence his or her flying shortly after arrival a couple of hours
later. The flightcrew member would have received a full night of sleep, and would be in
a much better position to work than the individual who had taken an overnight or very
early morning flight. While the irresponsible commuter would be available to fly by
mid-afternoon, the mid-morning commuter would not be available to fly until late
evening, just as he or she is beginning to tire.
The FAA does believe that it is unreasonable to assume that an individual is
resting while commuting. Accordingly, time spent commuting, either locally or longdistance,
is not considered rest, and a certificate holder will need to consider the
commuting times required by individual flightcrew members to ensure they can reach
their home base while still receiving the required opportunity for rest. This approach is
consistent with that taken for transportation to and from a sleep facility other than home
discussed earlier in this document.
The FAA also believes it is inappropriate to simply rely on the existing
requirements in part 91 to report to work fit for duty. The FAA believes a primary reason
that pilots may engage in irresponsible commuting practices is a lack of education on
what activities are fatiguing and how to mitigate developing fatigue. The FAA has developed a draft fitness for duty AC that elaborates on the pilot’s responsibility to be
physically fit for flight prior to accepting any flight assignment, which includes the pilot
being properly rested. Additionally, the AC outlines the certificate holder’s
responsibility to ensure each flightcrew member is properly rested before assigning that
flightcrew member to any flight. That document has been placed in the docket for this
rulemaking. Additionally, the proposed training program discussed earlier contains an
element on the impact of commuting on fatigue. "
----------------------------------------------------------

(Last statement refers to additional text on p 25)

Any interpretations of what may develop from all this?

Last edited:
All fluff. What are they going to do? Buy the homes that are underwater from the poor FOs? Not gonna happen. I guess pilots would just dump their homes and RENT next to the hubs.

All fluff. What are they going to do? Buy the homes that are underwater from the poor FOs? Not gonna happen. I guess pilots would just dump their homes and RENT next to the hubs.

...and really even that would only solve the problem temporarily until the airline's next swap of routes/aircraft, so I'm not sure how this would solve anything in anyone's eyes.

Perhaps the airlines would be forced to base pay on seniority rather than equipment?

Good or bad, I'm not sure if it would mean Ford & Harrison could be directing their seeming friends at the top of the unions in carrying out the scenario (in the name of a "good relationship with mgt" of course). Seems to be the new M.O. at all the majors now:
http://www.thestreet.com/print/story/10852256.html

Last edited:
Additionally, the AC outlines the certificate holder’s
responsibility to ensure each flightcrew member is properly rested before assigning that
flightcrew member to any flight.

What airline is going to be willing to monitor the travel of individual crew members to and from work? I figure the airlines will just establish a policy of requiring all pilots to be in domicile 9 hours before report time. The FAA appears to be truly clueless about commuting and the impact of the proposed regulation. After all none of them commute, and if they get transferred, the government pays for their move and buys their home if they can't sell it.

Hopefully they won't require the commute to be the start of the duty day and force the carrier to monitor it.

If you have to report in at least 9 hrs prior, them you should get paid for it. I know it aint gonna happen. All this is doing is opening pandoras box and creating more problems than they are solving. Maybe the airlines can buy a hotel by the airport just for commuting flight crews!!! yeah right and monkeys will fly out of my @#$!!!

Here's a revolutionary idea: how about paying cost of living allowance for the domicile? Having bases anywhere in the Northeast or Cali has become untenable thanks to the fun economics of deregulation. Even those that do live in base often have a 2-3 hour drive to get to work due to the joys of trying to have a family in these metropolitan areas. Funny how just about every Financial firm provides this for their employees in NYC. I know crazy idea and I should probably be drug tested because of it.

*Shhhhhh* Don't tell those idiot pilots that the company provides this allowance to most managers including Chief Pilots that are already fat on override...

This is a way to hang a pilot for any type of incident. I am sure the first thing that the FAA, NTSB, and Airline will ask is "when did you commute in prior to today's assignment". If you gave an answer of "well I took a red-eye DH to start this 7 AM show" guess what your fried

Last edited:
If you have to report in at least 9 hrs prior, them you should get paid for it
care to rationalize why you should be paid more than someone who lives in domicile to show up to work ready for work?

I am tired of baby sitting the cross country commuters who are "tired" when we start and usually say something like "yeah man, I just came in from a 5 hour commute, I'm beat, watch me would ya?" WTFO.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back