• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dirkdigler

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 27, 2012
Phone: 202-267-3883

FAA Proposes to Raise Airline Pilot Qualification Standards

WASHINGTON – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today proposed to substantially raise the qualification requirements for first officers who fly for U.S. passenger and cargo airlines.

Consistent with a mandate in the Airline Safety and Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2010, the proposed rule would require first officers – also known as co-pilots – to hold an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, requiring 1,500 hours of pilot flight time. Currently, first officers are required to have only a commercial pilot certificate, which requires 250 hours of flight time. The proposal also would require first officers to have an aircraft type rating, which involves additional training and testing specific to the airplanes they fly.

“Safety in all modes of transportation is our number-one priority,” said Secretary LaHood. “This proposed rule reflects our commitment to the safety of the traveling public by making sure our pilots are the most qualified and best trained in the world.”

“Our pilots need to have the right training and the right qualifications so they can be prepared to handle any situation they encounter in the cockpit,” said FAA Acting Administrator Michael Huerta. “I believe this proposed rule will ensure our nation’s pilots have the necessary skills and experience.”

Other highlights of the proposed rule include:

◘ A requirement for a pilot to have a minimum of 1,000 flight hours as a pilot in air carrier operations that require an ATP prior to serving as a captain for a U.S. airline.

◘ Enhanced training requirements for an ATP certificate, including 50 hours of multi-engine flight experience and completion of a new FAA-approved training program.

◘ An allowance for pilots with fewer than 1,500 hours of flight time, but who have an aviation degree or military pilot experience, to obtain a “restricted privileges” ATP certificate. These pilots could serve only as a first officer, not as a captain. Former military pilots with 750 hours of flight time would be able to apply for an ATP certificate with restricted privileges. Graduates of a four-year baccalaureate aviation degree program would be able to obtain an ATP with 1,000 hours of flight time, only if they also obtained a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating from a pilot school affiliated with the university or college.

The proposal addresses recommendations from an Aviation Rulemaking Committee, the National Transportation Safety Board, and the FAA’s Call to Action to improve airline safety.

The proposed rule can be viewed at: http://archives.gov/federal-register/public-inspection/ The public may comment on the proposal for 60 days after publication on February 29.

I think that is good and bad. Good for current regional pilots, since the regionals will have to go after pilots with higher total hours, which may mean pay raises to attract them. Bad news would be that could cut into the razor thin profits that some regionals are making, or contribute to losses. These days it's all about being the most efficient Regional out there to attract business from the Legacies. The pilots that the Regionals might have to go after cargo types (Amflight or caravan drivers), but most of them make in the $30-40K range I think. Doubtful if they will accept less to start at a Regional.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
Man Oys you didn't waste any time getting back on the Regional board!!! Welcome back, now behave yo-self! Godspeed!

To clarify, a guy who goes to some 141 school and gets a four-year degree in "aviation" can jump ahead of a guy who studies engineering and builds his time at a 61 school. Is this right? Seems kinda...dumb.

At least it's a step in the right direction.

To clarify, a guy who goes to some 141 school and gets a four-year degree in "aviation" can jump ahead of a guy who studies engineering and builds his time at a 61 school. Is this right? Seems kinda...dumb.

Ive seen better 61 pilots compared to 141 (ALLATP,etc.) or Riddle.

A 141 school is designed to give you the boot at around 200 hours... So where does this guy get the extra 800?

A 141 school is designed to give you the boot at around 200 hours... So where does this guy get the extra 800?

Come on is that a serious question? Instruct, cargo, hitch rides, banner tow, ferry flights, pay, beg, work for it...etc

Ive seen better 61 pilots compared to 141 (ALLATP,etc.) or Riddle.

Sure. There are always outliers, but the hiring data is very clear that on AVERAGE, the structured program guys are better.

Before you all start flaming away, I'm not saying that YOU aren't better because YOU did 61. I'm saying that there's several years worth of solid hiring data evaluating the training success of part 141 vs 61, and all things being equal, more 141 guys make it through training than 61.

That data was taken to "the hill" during the deliberations on this rule, and that's where the exemption came from.

I dont think that data is wrong...but somewhat skewed. I've done training in both 141 and 61. I personally thought 141 was filled with a lot of waste and bs. However, I think people who are airline bound start out looking for a complete course, start to finish. You find that more often in a 141 program. So, I don't think the training is better as in making a better pilot...just better at getting a pilot zero to hero, so to speak.

But having watched how the FAA handled these new pilot rest rules...I would bet on years and some watered down version.

Latest resources

Back