• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dubya

Part time genius
Last edited:
This is what happens when a politician's name is attached to a business. Who said you can't call in favors to washington anymore?

I have tried 3 times to get on with the FAA with the intent of being a whistle blower the second they even tried to pressure me to look the other way while some airline skirted the intent of the law... I'm dead certain they know my agenda as I've never heard back, and I'm sure, based on their application and the high level of value placed on management work (such as Chief Pilot, DO, etc..) they're looking for "company man" types for these posts.

Trust me dude, you don't need to be a "company man" to get on with the FAA. There are quite a few in the upper ranks who meet that description, but thankfully they're starting to retire off and get replaced by people who are capable of coherent thought.

Like the FAA would have saved everyone in Buffalo?

Poor pilot skills killed those people...Not the FAA.

Thank's Captain Obvious. I think that has been covered in about 47 other threads. Different thread here, but thanks for contributing.

W

I will take your logic to the next level: It wasn't poor piloting skills that killed those people, it was blunt force trauma.

When there has been ZERO accountability for how Colgan's been allowed to operate, train, hire, monitor, and enforce horrendous policies on it's pilots (and FAs), you have the current situation. It speaks for itself.

I beg to differ.

Because the FAA isn't weeding out enough riff raff with their overly lax training and testing, and "records" of failure/pass required to Command... this plays into the hands of the $22/hr employers like Colgan since it keeps the labor pool flooded with "meat in the seat". So long as middle aged career changers can buy their training at GIA and fail 5 checks, yet continue to command a 121 airliner, and little girls who've never been in IMC/Icing act as FO's... the FAA isn't doing their job.

I beg to differ.

Because the FAA isn't weeding out enough riff raff with their overly lax training and testing, and "records" of failure/pass required to Command... this plays into the hands of the $22/hr employers like Colgan since it keeps the labor pool flooded with "meat in the seat". So long as middle aged career changers can buy their training at GIA and fail 5 checks, yet continue to command a 121 airliner, and little girls who've never been in IMC/Icing act as FO's... the FAA isn't doing their job.

Yep, all is good with these folks until about 6-months in and they start to realize it's actually a job and not a hobby...and it really hits home on their first Christmas Eve layover! Livin' the dream...and cutting the legs out from under "career pilots".

Latest resources

Back