• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

FAA Covers Colgan's Ass

Dubya

Part time genius
Total Time
Last edited:

smartelephant

smartelephant
Total Time
6000+
This is what happens when a politician's name is attached to a business. Who said you can't call in favors to washington anymore?

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
Total Time
>1
I have tried 3 times to get on with the FAA with the intent of being a whistle blower the second they even tried to pressure me to look the other way while some airline skirted the intent of the law... I'm dead certain they know my agenda as I've never heard back, and I'm sure, based on their application and the high level of value placed on management work (such as Chief Pilot, DO, etc..) they're looking for "company man" types for these posts.

Princedietrich

Retired Starchecker
Total Time
Enough
Trust me dude, you don't need to be a "company man" to get on with the FAA. There are quite a few in the upper ranks who meet that description, but thankfully they're starting to retire off and get replaced by people who are capable of coherent thought.

DC8Driver

Happy to have a job
Total Time
6000++
Like the FAA would have saved everyone in Buffalo?

Poor pilot skills killed those people...Not the FAA.

Dubya

Part time genius
Total Time

Thank's Captain Obvious. I think that has been covered in about 47 other threads. Different thread here, but thanks for contributing.

W

makersmarc

St. Thomas Free Univ.
Total Time

I will take your logic to the next level: It wasn't poor piloting skills that killed those people, it was blunt force trauma.

Snaab

Total Time
When there has been ZERO accountability for how Colgan's been allowed to operate, train, hire, monitor, and enforce horrendous policies on it's pilots (and FAs), you have the current situation. It speaks for itself.

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
Total Time
>1

I beg to differ.

Because the FAA isn't weeding out enough riff raff with their overly lax training and testing, and "records" of failure/pass required to Command... this plays into the hands of the $22/hr employers like Colgan since it keeps the labor pool flooded with "meat in the seat". So long as middle aged career changers can buy their training at GIA and fail 5 checks, yet continue to command a 121 airliner, and little girls who've never been in IMC/Icing act as FO's... the FAA isn't doing their job.

Coool Hand Luke

Total Time
I beg to differ.

Because the FAA isn't weeding out enough riff raff with their overly lax training and testing, and "records" of failure/pass required to Command... this plays into the hands of the $22/hr employers like Colgan since it keeps the labor pool flooded with "meat in the seat". So long as middle aged career changers can buy their training at GIA and fail 5 checks, yet continue to command a 121 airliner, and little girls who've never been in IMC/Icing act as FO's... the FAA isn't doing their job.

Yep, all is good with these folks until about 6-months in and they start to realize it's actually a job and not a hobby...and it really hits home on their first Christmas Eve layover! Livin' the dream...and cutting the legs out from under "career pilots".

Jar Jar

I spake!
Total Time
I will take your logic to the next level: It wasn't poor piloting skills that killed those people, it was blunt force trauma.

Haha. A lack of regulation allowing the regionals to hire 'just about anyone' had nothing to do with 3407. Everything is okay, just that damned blunt force trauma thing again.

Congress to decide that regional pax ought to be wearing helmets, shoulder harnesses, and mouthpieces.. :laugh:

Flyby1206

Total Time
enuff
3 weeks ago the country was in an uproar about this whole incident. Now?....Back to your regularly scheduled airline hell where the FAA looks the other way and airline lobbyists with $$$ keep things status quo.

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
Total Time
>1
3 weeks ago the country was in an uproar about this whole incident. Now?....Back to your regularly scheduled airline hell where the FAA looks the other way and airline lobbyists with $$$ keep things status quo.

One of American's biggest failings in my view is their VERY short attention span.. It's sad, but we've had "commuter" airlines in the news ever since I can remember over safety, training ,experience, pay, etc.. NOTHING has been done.. The ATA has far more lobby power than any ALPA, or pilot organization.

doh

Jump seat shrink
Total Time
48 yrs

If the FAA had not approved the operation of those airplanes because of the observed poor pilot skills, those people would be alive. Hence, the FAA had a role in causing their deaths.

sweptback

Guess that wasn't solid
Total Time
The ATA has far more lobby power than any ALPA, or pilot organization.

It's not surprising. Lobbying is a priority for the airlines, and it's not a priority for the pilots (ALPA-PAC contributions are at a pathetically low percentage, especially for the regional airlines).

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
Total Time
>1
ALPA is fast becoming a regional union... the rapid growth of commuters into regionals over the past 10 years has long since made that point moot.