• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Age 60 rule rescinded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a 5.5 hour flight as an IRO the other day, captain demanded 2 hours of rest, wtf. He claimed it was required per 117, I said that's not exactly how it reads.

I seriously said, if you need a 2 hour break on a 5.5 hour flight, you shouldn't be fu(king flying.

Last edited:
I seriously said, if you need a 2 hour break on a 5.5 hour flight, you shouldn't be fu(king flying.
If you're done after a 5.5 leg, then no he doesn't. However, since you were an IRO, something tells me you had more flying to do after that leg. So yes, he did require a 2 hour break in the last half of the duty period before his landing.

HAL

If you're done after a 5.5 leg, then no he doesn't. However, since you were an IRO, something tells me you had more flying to do after that leg. So yes, he did require a 2 hour break in the last half of the duty period before his landing.

HAL

Nope, that was it, quickie with tailwinds PHL-DUB

Incorrect, it needs to be made available to him, his words were "it is required."

Now if he had just said dude, got crappy sleep last night I am gonna take two hours, that's no big deal, I wouldn't care. He said 117 requires.

On AUA turns (4 hours 15 min), sometimes the flying pilot doesn't take a break at all.

Last time I flew with the guy he slept all the way to SNN in the cockpit so he annoys me.

(c) No certificate holder may assign and no flightcrew member may accept an assignment under this section unless during the flight duty period:
(1) Two consecutive hours in the second half of the flight duty period are available for in-flight rest for the pilot flying the aircraft during landing.
(2) Ninety consecutive minutes are available for in-flight rest for the pilot performing monitoring duties during landing.
(d) No certificate holder may assign and no flightcrew member may accept an assignment involving more than three flight segments under this section.
(e) At all times during flight, at least one flightcrew member qualified in accordance with ? 121.543(b) (3) (i) of this chapter must be at the flight controls.

Last edited:
DCAA320, the interpretation from the FAA is that the 'made available' language is directed towards the airline, so they will staff the flights accordingly, and have procedures in place to allow the rest to occur. For the pilots it doesn't mean 'take it if you want to'. It means 'you will take it, and you will take it when we said to'. It's not optional.

HAL

Hi Hal,
I think it's optional due to all the variables. Like our Aruba flight, we have an IRO on a 4.25 hour flight, no normal guy needs a 2 hour break. I have never seen anyone take one. If the FAA wanted it to be mandatory, why weren't they specific and say so?

I find the 3rd break the worse, lights, food service, and such flying east coast to Europe.

The instance in the 5.5 hour flight was the first time it has come up on my flights since 117 inception.

Another example is if we are flying to RIO and the captain is the only one with actual experience going in, well, we don't want him back there snoozing.

Anyway, enjoy the sun out there.

Age increase has been very destructive to the profession. Compounded by mergers, so many pilots will simply never get senior enough to be in a position to take real advantage of more years of work. Most pilots I fly with are 5-8 years older than me, and they simply want out, ASAP. When I flew FO, it was with all the super senior pro 65 guys. Let me tell you, if those guys had found themselves in the dire straits most FOs do now? The outcry of unfairness would be beyond imagination.

Age increase has been very destructive to the profession. Compounded by mergers, so many pilots will simply never get senior enough to be in a position to take real advantage of more years of work. Most pilots I fly with are 5-8 years older than me, and they simply want out, ASAP. When I flew FO, it was with all the super senior pro 65 guys. Let me tell you, if those guys had found themselves in the dire straits most FOs do now? The outcry of unfairness would be beyond imagination.

And just think, if we discriminated against Female pilots and Black pilots
you could really move up that Seniority list to your rightful place.

Latest resources

Back