• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Age 60 rule rescinded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not even close to how you want to use an IRO.

But yeah, don't bid it is good advice. Then also pass the word on how the CA does things. That will take care of itself pretty quick

He is well know which is probably why the trip was open. I don't usually pick up IRO stuff but it looked like a quick easy trip.

I have been flying international since the inception of 117 and this was the first time anyone verbalized it the way he did. I have told guys who commute in (you can tell sometimes) sleep as long as you like.

I wasn't clear enough, 2.0 for him, 1.5 for SIC, which once again, I wouldn't mind, just don't tell me 117 requires this.

Just go ahead, say I am a wus, and I am going back to nap. I'll say cool, have the FAs bring me some coffee, problem solved.

Have a nice day, off to Europe :)
Have a safe trip. As far as your experience, live and learn. When I got senior enough I got the coveted one day 9+ hour Caribbean IRO turn. Top of climb, before I left the cockpit, the FO (pilot monitoring) said he was going back for his rest. Four hours of radio calls later, at top of descent, FO comes back up for the descent and landing. Hmm. On the way back, top of climb, before I left the cockpit, the captain (pilot monitoring) said he was going back for his rest. Four hours of radio calls later, at top of descent, captain comes back up for the descent and landing. Needless to say when I got home I was wasted. Last time I ever bid IRO.

This would be like reaching top of decent, and having a captain insist that in the event an abnormal requires 02, he doesn't want any wasted on an IRO. So he/she has the IRO asphyxiated and their body thrown in the trash.

Which come to think of it, the way the age 65 rule was written, that's pretty much what happened to the junior guys.

Use the IRO the right way and defend that crew position! This is a safety issue. But it's also a unity issue. Some of the most blatant disregard I've seen for both unity and safety are from pro 65 guys. And it should be the opposite.

Last edited:
Use the IRO the right way and defend that crew position! This is a safety issue. But it's also a unity issue.
That's it. I'll never forgot those two as a long as I fly. The captain hit 60 and had to retire before the rule changed. Sadly, I was delighted about that. The FO was a secret agent (wore nondescript black windbreaker whenever possible so as to not be recognized as a pilot) and listed his first name on the company intranet as simply an an initial, which propagated to his company ID so no one knew his real name. Even wore the wrap around blackout sunglasses inside. He was Mr Cool from top to bottom and has disappeared into the 10,000+ pilots of a merged airline.

Last edited:
Have a safe trip. As far as your experience, live and learn. When I got senior enough I got the coveted one day 9+ hour Caribbean IRO turn. Top of climb, before I left the cockpit, the FO (pilot monitoring) said he was going back for his rest. Four hours of radio calls later, at top of descent, FO comes back up for the descent and landing. Hmm. On the way back, top of climb, before I left the cockpit, the captain (pilot monitoring) said he was going back for his rest. Four hours of radio calls later, at top of descent, captain comes back up for the descent and landing. Needless to say when I got home I was wasted. Last time I ever bid IRO.

Hey densoo, sorry for calling you names, I thought you were just talking $hit before.

What those guys did to you is crap, haven't seen that at my airline. Most FO's (IRO"S) get along. The one guy I mention is the only one who I have questioned.

Hey densoo, sorry for calling you names, I thought you were just talking $hit before.

What those guys did to you is crap, haven't seen that at my airline. Most FO's (IRO"S) get along. The one guy I mention is the only one who I have questioned.
Well, to be honest, I guess on the one post I was giving you s--t, in sarcasm, but I expected you to call me names for it too since I deserved it! We've all suffered under some strange characters and the only good lesson to take from it is to try not to be that way when the roles are reversed.

Last edited:
Clearly you've never met my teenage daughter...

Teens are self absorbed in their natural development.which manifest outwardly in a lot of self directed ways- selfish, self conscious, self loathing. Do your best to teach and wait it out.

There are no developmental excuses for a generation of baby boomer freeloaders

Latest resources

Back