• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F9 or jetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, huh....you're NOT planning on commuting to JFK? Am I reading this right?

Seniority, theoretically, is what is going to primarily control you QOL. I'm not seeing where giving up 3 years of it to start on the bottom on reserve in JFK is an improvement.

That's a good point, I guess I'd be better off comuting & having good schedules. I'm checking out NetJets. Thanks

Sluggo:

I'm relatively new at JB, and think NetJets would be a great option if you don't mind that type of flying.

I left top 25 percent seniority at a mid- to upper-tier regional and don't regret my move one bit. I like the product, the people I fly with, and the operational support (availability of Chief Pilots, administrative staff, etc.). Our reserve system provides the most flexibility to drop/swap days and proffer trips that I've personally experienced; being bottom-of-the-barrel isn't that bad QOL-wise in that regard. We have close to industry-best first year compensation but the curve is extremely flat after that; needs to improve. I've already had a couple scheduling and pay issues corrected within 24 hours of a call and/or email to the chief pilot and crewpay; in contrast at my last (unionized) carrier similar violations are still tied up in the greivance process. In summary unless you really want to live in NY or NJ it seems like a curious move.

Johnsonrod, I really don't get your constant bashing of JB. You behave like someone who either was turned down by the company or has a close friend who was. ExpressJet is a great place but man, there's a world of difference flying your own brand versus being a contracted-lift provider. At any rate good luck to everyone in your future career endeavours and Merry Christmas!

Thanks for all the tips! Some ask whats wrong with Denver... its boring to me. Looking at NetJets. Just not sure how I feel about leaving the airline environment and doing 7 on 7 off.

For the NetJet's guys, how has that been working out? Thanks

I'm biased, but I have to ask the question. Did you say that you are CURRENTLY commuting to DEN, or living in DEN?

If you are commuting to DEN and say it's "boring", that spurns another question;

Have you ACTUALLY ventured outside the suburban hell of the treeless/Saudi Aurora/Crashpad/I-70 Pena Blvd area?

Can't tell you how many crew members I've met that commute or chose to live out there and ranted how boring Denver is. Sad, they have never been west of I-25. But if you need that whole "bright lights/big city/go go go life style" that the NYC area has to offer, then I understand.

I've commuted to both LGA, EWR, and BOS, but not JFK. I'd never want to commute to an NYC airport AGAIN. And with the way that JFK runs lately, I wouldn't want to do that one either.

Sluggo:

I'm relatively new at JB, and think NetJets would be a great option if you don't mind that type of flying.

I left top 25 percent seniority at a mid- to upper-tier regional and don't regret my move one bit. I like the product, the people I fly with, and the operational support (availability of Chief Pilots, administrative staff, etc.). Our reserve system provides the most flexibility to drop/swap days and proffer trips that I've personally experienced; being bottom-of-the-barrel isn't that bad QOL-wise in that regard. We have close to industry-best first year compensation but the curve is extremely flat after that; needs to improve. I've already had a couple scheduling and pay issues corrected within 24 hours of a call and/or email to the chief pilot and crewpay; in contrast at my last (unionized) carrier similar violations are still tied up in the greivance process. In summary unless you really want to live in NY or NJ it seems like a curious move.

Johnsonrod, I really don't get your constant bashing of JB. You behave like someone who either was turned down by the company or has a close friend who was. ExpressJet is a great place but man, there's a world of difference flying your own brand versus being a contracted-lift provider. At any rate good luck to everyone in your future career endeavours and Merry Christmas!

I can see why you think that based on what I've written. It has not been my intention to constantly bash JB. Keep in mind that opinions flow freely on this website and my opinion is no different.

I have three good friends from my regional who have gone to JB over the years - of those people, two have departed JB for other opportunities (SWA and Delta). The guy who stayed likes JB. I speak with these guys weekly and I guess I am tired of the Wal-Mart mentality they describe about the place (their opinions). JB doesn't strive to provide industry-leading (or at least A320-leading) pay or benefits relative to other carriers. Health care costs seem out of line relative to some other carriers. The term "mediocre" seems to fit when assessing JB in my opinion (other people have differing opinions). In contrast, Southwest clearly respects its pilot group and those pilots are the highest-paid 737 drivers in the world. Southwest is also a more mature entity and it has a lot more cash but it has always respected its pilot group more than other LCCs do. That's the point.

I am glad to hear that unionization efforts have advanced at JB - perhaps that will lead to some needed change and a raising of the bar. I have actually flown JB as a pax several times and I have always enjoyed it - it is a strong product. For those who are there now, I hope your situation improves and you get what you deserve sooner than later.

Happy holidays.

Last edited:
Sluggo...GO WITH JB!!!! Come on, you know you want to!!! NetJets would work too!

Anything to move up another number...:p

dojetdriver...I understand where you're going with that last post, but i also got very bored with Denver...and have since moved back to the WONDERFUL metropolis of Dallas...yeah, not my first choice, but that's what happens when you leave it up to your wife and she decides she wants to be back closer to the family...dam women! I lived here in DEN for 2 1/2 years and overall it was definately not worth the extra expense of the cost of living here. Yes i went west of I-25, i spent most weekends up on the South Platte between Eleven-mile and waterton canyon hiking, biking and fishing with the family. That part was nice, the rest of the area just plain sucked!!! Flat lands as far as you can see, and what most people do not realise is that DEN is actually a high plains desert, yep that's right a friggin desert in Colorado. Add to it that white crap that falls every winter, the drivers who think they can handle it and the snow plows that don't come through the neighborhoods for weeks on end after a snow storm and you get a pretty crappy place. The city center itself was pretty lame, to get anywhere you had to drive for hours...must i go on?! Now before you go busting on my new location, let me agree with you about it, Dallas is far from my first choice of living locations, but like i said above, i didn't make that decision...at least till our daughter is out of school, then we're outta there.

Alright, sorry, i was rambling on...

Sluggo...GO WITH JB!!!! Come on, you know you want to!!! NetJets would work too!

Anything to move up another number...:p

dojetdriver...I understand where you're going with that last post, but i also got very bored with Denver...and have since moved back to the WONDERFUL metropolis of Dallas...yeah, not my first choice, but that's what happens when you leave it up to your wife and she decides she wants to be back closer to the family...dam women! I lived here in DEN for 2 1/2 years and overall it was definately not worth the extra expense of the cost of living here. Yes i went west of I-25, i spent most weekends up on the South Platte between Eleven-mile and waterton canyon hiking, biking and fishing with the family. That part was nice, the rest of the area just plain sucked!!! Flat lands as far as you can see, and what most people do not realise is that DEN is actually a high plains desert, yep that's right a friggin desert in Colorado. Add to it that white crap that falls every winter, the drivers who think they can handle it and the snow plows that don't come through the neighborhoods for weeks on end after a snow storm and you get a pretty crappy place. The city center itself was pretty lame, to get anywhere you had to drive for hours...must i go on?! Now before you go busting on my new location, let me agree with you about it, Dallas is far from my first choice of living locations, but like i said above, i didn't make that decision...at least till our daughter is out of school, then we're outta there.

Alright, sorry, i was rambling on...

Right on every count. What's up with these people who think Denver is some mountain paradise? They've been listening to "Rocky Mountain High" one too many times...

Add to it that white crap that falls every winter, the drivers who think they can handle it ...

God, ain't that the truth? Not to mention the pansy drivers who won't even try to handle it, regardless of the precipitation.

Latest resources

Back