F15 Vs F16

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guard/reserve

Yep, I've been in the Guard for about 5 years. I'm flying the Block 30 Big mouth. It's pretty sweet these days. We've got SCU-4, SADL, GSP coupled with the RLG's, Litening II Pods, and a bunch of other good avioonics. We like to call it a block 39 because it's about the closest thing to a block 40 with a good motor.

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me the only unit with Beagles is St. Louis.

Anyone know?

New Orleans; Jacksonville, FL; Portland, OR;
Otis ANGB, MA; and Hawaii all have Eagles.
I'm pretty sure I remember the F-16 RTU at
Kingsley Field, OR, converting to an F-15 RTU.

I guess somewhere I heard that St Louis would be getting some strikers and flying both. Must have been just gossip.

We've got SCU-4, SADL, GSP coupled with the RLG's, Litening II Pods, and a bunch of other good avioonics. We like to call it a block 39 because it's about the closest thing to a block 40 with a good motor.
The Terre Haute guys have been calling themselves C++, more than a C model but not quite a CG.

As for the Strike Eagle Guard rumor, it was just that a rumor. Died out about a year ago, darn shame--where else can a good WSO go to retire???

Holy rodent poop, here's the answer!

Make your mom & girlfriend/wife happy: Fly a jet with 2 engines.

(Or, for the PC crowd: make your parents & spousal unit happy.)

FLAME AWAY.
:eek:

I'm just a caveman ...

... but, don't go to UPT with the "I'm gonna fly a ?-??" attitude. Have an idea, but don't get too attached to it: while class ranking is important to getting your choice, timing is king. If any of these Centerline Thrust Theorists tell you otherwise they are full of hot air. ;) I can remember a time when the only fighters available were banked and the top guys were not interested. Listen to what your IPs have to offer - ask them about the pros and cons of each assignment. I will not BS you about how great it was flying the heavies - it is a fighter pilot's AF, as a heavy pilot you are just living in it. Still, I had some great experiences and did some things the average zipper suited sun god doesn't even know exist.
No matter what you do for Uncle Sam choose something you couldn't do on the outside. You can fly airplanes with sleeping room, a head, an oven and a coffee maker when you are an old man. Have an adventure while you are young.

I know of no instance when a tanker, AWACS, Compass Call, RJ, U-2 or any other HVAA got bagged when Eagles manned the HVAA CAP

As far as I know we've never lost a HVAA whenever there was any dedicated HVAA CAP of any kind. Nor have we lost a HVAA since Vietnam, so your quote is a little misleading - the same can be said of the viper, or any other modern Air to Air capable fighter.

There was an instance when an Eagle saved the day AFTER they let a leaker get through. We got lucky we didn't lose that HVAA to cumulo granite as the executed the Vulcan Death Dive at night, no FLIR, no Noggs, no SA. Personnally I was happy to have ANY dedicated goalie CAP.

It is such a simple answer. One Seat, one airplane, one driver, one engine, any mission, one result; no one to second guess. F-16C.

Oh Please!

Not to get into the "who's patch is worth more" fight. Let's not get too involved in bashing PW220 F-16s at Luke.

Only 4 of the crashes were engine related.

a) 1 Midair during BFM
b) Pilot signing off an electrical RED X while cross-country to Beale, result no power, no hook, no cable, no brakes, depart the runway and over Northern Ave.
c) Landing Gear non-deploy and they ran out of gas, controlled ejection

And having worked with the -229 there is a big difference in reliability over the -220s.

Latest resources

Back