• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-18F Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly with the X now and am very familiar with it, however not with the helmet. I have quite a few BFM sorties with the Mig-29/AA-11 PTM so understand how to push the High Off Bore Sight (HOBS) fight. The helmet / 9x / AA-11 isn't the end all be all. The fundamentals need to be understood and applied correctly to achieve the desired outcome (Mig / Flanker driver in the chute). The guys I fought had a breakdown in the latter regardless of the weapons / toys they employed. However, when asked the right questions in the debrief it appeared the light was on!

My understanding is that with the wingtip mounting and helmet, the Supers off boresight capability is much higher than everyone elses.

I am not sure, but since both the USAF and the USN bought the same helmet it stands to reason they are the same. F-16 block 50/52 and F-15C's are both flying with it with the F-15E right around the corner. Limits are not printable but would doubt they are different. Switchology will no doubt vary from A/C to A/C, however the uplook angles shouldn't.

I've got about 250 hrs with the HMCS (OT at Eglin), and a few sorties with the -9X in the latest block 30 SCU revision. Haven't flown with the combo, but my old buds still in OT say it's the great equalizer. About 50/50 when flying BFM vs the Raptor. One bud said he could hang a -9X/HMCS combo on a C-172 and whup 75% of the fighters out there. Good stuff.

I've got about 250 hrs with the HMCS (OT at Eglin), and a few sorties with the -9X in the latest block 30 SCU revision. Haven't flown with the combo, but my old buds still in OT say it's the great equalizer. About 50/50 when flying BFM vs the Raptor. One bud said he could hang a -9X/HMCS combo on a C-172 and whup 75% of the fighters out there. Good stuff.

I flew with both quite a bit in the test world against a slew of types. All I can say is AWESOME! Let's just say that during 6K perch sets, the defender routinely gets the first shot after the 'fight's on'. One can be pretty lazy after the break turn.

Gets pretty tiresome as the offender.

I flew with both quite a bit in the test world against a slew of types. All I can say is AWESOME! Let's just say that during 6K perch sets, the defender routinely gets the first shot after the 'fight's on'. One can be pretty lazy after the break turn.

Gets pretty tiresome as the offender.

I've heard that from a few people that have flown with it. Too bad you need the helmet though to fully use it. Most squadrons are only getting one or the other.

While it's good to speak of all the ways to slay post merge (and it's real fun to fly), however it's usually the result of an error in the BVR arena. It's good that the F22 still carries a gun and shows that even today it's worth the weight penalty / offensive gain trade off. The skill sets for both need to be worked regularly and should be complementary.

While it's good to speak of all the ways to slay post merge (and it's real fun to fly), however it's usually the result of an error in the BVR arena. It's good that the F22 still carries a gun and shows that even today it's worth the weight penalty / offensive gain trade off. The skill sets for both need to be worked regularly and should be complementary.

Would you call it a BVR error, or a reality of todays EA/EW capabilites, on both sides? OPSEC aside you know...

There is also a likelihood that as of Day 1 of an air war, the sky will be saturated with US aircraft from all sides. As much as we might deconflict in an ATO or all be linked up, basic intercept and VID skillz will need to be maintained.

That said, getting to a merge undetected and/or alive against a 4th gen threat with HMS/AA-11 is the TOUGHEST thing we can be asked to do (in my humble opinion). When I get there, it'd be nice to have a HMCS/AIM-9X combo. Or in a Raptor going high to low from 60K. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back