• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-18F Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Careful guys, that is an inappropriate question due to the obvious classified information that could be revealed on a public website about the Navy's disco lights.

You'll go to a Federal Detention Facility if you continue to question various lights, paint schemes or insignia on our military aircraft. Don't go any further with this thread.

Disco lives!

Careful guys, that is an inappropriate question due to the obvious classified information that could be revealed on a public website about the Navy's disco lights.

You'll go to a Federal Detention Facility if you continue to question various lights, paint schemes or insignia on our military aircraft. Don't go any further with this thread.

Disco lives!

And so it begins again...

It's called a Day-ID light. It's so paddles can tell the difference between a Chuck and a Rhino. And their called AOA indexers, not "LSO lights." I had to go through serveral Rhino buddies to find that one out, I was curious too. Only figured it out after one broke out the big book and looked it up.

$15 light saves $62 million aircraft!

Day recoveries at the boat are normally done without and radio talk from the ship or aircraft. When they designed the Super Hornet they sort of forgot that it looks a whole lot like the legacy Hornet and both are going to be operating around the ship at the same time. It is actually quite difficult to tell the difference from the LSO platform when they are airborne even though the Rhino is significantly (33%) bigger.

The arresting gear needs to be set to a particular aircraft model weight in order to stop and not do damage to the aircraft if it is set too high or risk having the wire break and potentially lose the jet and crew if it is set too low. If I remember right (it been a few years since I was on the platform) the Hornet weight is 36K and the Rhino is 41K. So they installed the day ID light to save the day. At night the strobes blink at different intervals than from the Hornet.

The disco theory is really just a cover story for the laser beams they can shoot from the nose gear... Oh jeez... there I went and said something I wasn't supposed to.

Rhino!!?? WTF, that's an F-4, a Man's airplane, not an F-18 honeybee. Get a unique nickname, squids! :)

The disco theory is really just a cover story for the laser beams they can shoot from the nose gear... Oh jeez... there I went and said something I wasn't supposed to.

It is actually the Navy's latest 4 gen Sniper Pod combined with an energy particle beam, which is pretty cool since it greatly reduces the weight of ordnance carried. No more loud noises to alert the survivng bad guys that they are in deep sh*t.

Now that's Navy CAS. MAGNUM!! has been missing out on all the fun.

Rhino!!?? WTF, that's an F-4, a Man's airplane, not an F-18 honeybee. Get a unique nickname, squids! :)

phhssssssssshhhhhhhh.... the Hornet and Superhornet are everything the Phantom WHISHES it could be. (Plus the Super IS a big grey animal).

Oh.. and remember that the F-4 was a Navy jet the AF was ALLOWED to fly. So of COURSE it's a man's airplane. :p

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back