F-16 ANG Unit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two things:
1- Albie, I gotta talk 2 u. I'm at CONR and have an interview wi SWA in 2 weeks. We're neighbors (it sound like). Help!
2- Hey, don't be so dang picky. Get into UPT. ANY Guard unit that'll take u. Period. Fighters? Great. Not? Doesn't matter. You're getting older every day, your chances to get on at any Guard unit decrease every day you wait for the perfect unit. It's pure a!# pain applying at every unit you apply to, but I swear to you, even if u get in at a herc unit, there ARE guys in that slot who've transitioned to fighters (if that's where your heart is at- mine is, even though I'm not flying them military now...). If you can get a UPT slot, love the one you're with (showing my age here with that quote) and DO IT even if it IS FSM or North Frickin' Dakota (hot tip, show up on the flight line in Mid January in your snow machine, walk into Ops, shake the snow off your suit and shout out -Damn, I love this SH!*&!!. You'll get a job for sure. Or committed involuntarily. Either way, you get free food).
But if you wanna be a Guard pilot, do it when you get a chance. It doesn't suck. Lots of guys who God DIDN'T bless with perfect vision will tell you that. KnowuddImean?

IP in 18 months???

Not that this would help much, but I went through RTU at Kelly about 3 years ago. They have an interview board like every other gaurd unit, except they find some other Viper guard unit to season the person they hired. 18 months to become an IP? yeah right! If you are lucky, you may be a 4-ship by that time. The specific guard unit won't put you on the fast track ahead of thier own bro's. We have a Tucson guy here with us, he has been here 1 year already and hasn't even started 2-flug yet. It is just like the other posts, there is way too much experience in the guard and they are not in a hurry, or need, to upgrade quickly. Trust me, I know!

psysicx said:
Thats what I thought. So how long is the seasoning if you go to an FTU?

Six months if you're a B course punk, 3 months if you're a TX retread. And for B course punk, that 6 months gets you to the point of being "min" safe to progress to an ops unit where you start learning to fly, fight, and win. As a new hire, there isn't any "seasoning" at an FTU unit.

Depending on the model, it can take many years to get to the point of being a decent IP. Magnum!

Right but once you go back to your unit how long do are you full time? I know the SC unit is 18 months.

It means you will most likely go sometime in FY 2007, which starts at the beginning of the business fiscal year, which is October 2006.

I am FY07 Guard select and is was told to expect to go to UPT around OCT06 to FEB07. Once I get back from training the seasoning is around 18 months fulltime until I go back to traditional guardsman status. I have heard you can sometimes get a few more months of man-days. Here is a link to a breakdown of all the training. Hope this helps. http://www.ohtole.ang.af.mil/careers/Civ.htm.htm

Thanks for the help. I know that the seasoning varies between 18 to 24 months depending on the unit. Is it possible to transfer units if you can get a full time slot?

Latest resources

Back