F-16 ANG Unit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
Is it possible to transfer units if you can get a full time slot?

We just lost two of our pilots who got full time technician slots. So yes it can be done. I guess it's up to your unit to let you go.

I know that the U-2 program lets people from the guard/reserves to apply. But like you said it probably depends on your unit. So how long does it take to become an IP?

Last edited:
psysicx said:
I know that the U-2 program lets people from the guard/reserves to apply. But like you said it probably depends on your unit. So how long does it take to become an IP?

What aircraft? Fighters? 2.5 yrs min, and that's if you're an all-star and the timing works out (meaning they need IPs and nobody is in front of you). Usually 3-5 years to be an IP, and the all-important timing factor has to work out.

In a Guard/Reserve unit, they don't need IPs. Get plenty from AD. I wouldn't count on being an IP anytime before 5 years in a Guard unit, and that's only if they want to help you out.

So how does Kelly and Tucson hire people off the street? Do they wait 5 yrs or do they push them faster?

Psysicx, look up the phone numbers of the Kelly and Tuscon units and call them. Ask them directly what their hiring situation is and how they get their IPs back to the unit. Nobody that isn't in those units knows the answers to your questions. And you're asking repeat questions...write the answers down when you get 'em.

Okay Magnum I took your advice and did some research. The FW out of Tucson only requires 500 hrs TT and no IP cert but you need 36 months of experience. So if any Viper drivers are looking for a guard job Tucson is hiring.

a little clarification

Psysicx,
As far as I know, every FTU unit hires off-the-street (non-rated) except for the Reserve squadrons. As mentioned, Tuscon stipulates that you must be from within the unit.

I got picked up by an FTU squadron. During the interview, the first topic that was discussed pertained to the seasoning period. It was mentioned that seasoning may take up to 3-5 years with a minimum of 500 hours and 4-ship flight lead. Even if you upgrade to IP, you still have to do really well at your seasoning unit. At that point, you will be invited to come back and instruct. At least that's what I've been told.

For the guy that didn't believe that FTUs hire off the street:
I can attest to the fact that it happens. So can Flaco; he's with the Tuscon unit. Also, a good friend of mine (don't know his screen name) just got picked up by the FTU in Ohio.

Psycix, feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Here's a similar thread: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=12532

Last edited:
RTU hiring for UPT

Tucson typically accepts applications from anyone in the AZ ANG (Phoenix KC unit or Tucson). They do not accept applications from "off the street". Once you complete the B course, you have to find a unit to do your seasoning with.

As mentioned, some of the other RTU units do accept applications from off the street.

Wherever you go, the method for getting hired is simple:

-Do reasonably well (3.0 GPA) in college
-Do good on the AFOQT (80s-90s on pilot score)
-Get some flying time (more ratings the better)

Most importantly:

-Visit the unit you are most interested in/have the best chance with. Bring a bottle of whiskey (General of Jack is a good starting point). Do introduce yourself to every pilot you see. Do be yourself. Do hang out in the bar with the bros if the opportunity presents itself.

Qualifications and test scores are not everything.

Flaco

Flaco said:
Most importantly:

-Visit the unit you are most interested in/have the best chance with. Bring a bottle of whiskey (General of Jack is a good starting point). Do introduce yourself to every pilot you see. Do be yourself. Do hang out in the bar with the bros if the opportunity presents itself.

Qualifications and test scores are not everything.

Flaco

The all important GDF points...

Latest resources

Back