Expressjet announcement today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys were better off with skywest.

The CPA with CAL isn't going to make any money since XJT pretty much has to operate at cost to maintain the cost savings CAL wanted.

Too bad your management could not figure out how to raise the bar too.

Wrong, SKW was asking for bigger concessions in order to become "cost competitive" to keep the CAL flying or lose all of it to SKW. CAL wanted savings on the magnitude that SKW was offering so it is safe to assume that is what CAL got from an independent XJT.

Last edited:
I hope all of you who voted no to be acquired by SKW know what you voted for, all those junior guys and gals are going to be in a world of hurt.

I wish them the best as they go out back into the market looking for jobs. I myself could not imagine what is to be put in a place like that.

Not bashing those who voted no, its just hard to understand where you guys come from, where all I know is where I am at. Good Luck, and goodnite.

The MEC decided that, not the rank and file pilots. SKW was going to furlough 700 pilots anyways, probably more than an independent XJT will.

How bad was the offer? Didn't SkyWest offer 3.50 a share? Considering what the stock price is now, that seems to have been a great offer.

I also heard that if skyw had bought xjet, they would have furloughed 800. Wasn't branded started because CAL pulled 69 planes? How many would have been furloughed had you guys not started the branded flying? I thought it was great that xjet mgmt was trying find new flying options.

In hindsight it looks like doing so just delayed furloughs while jeopardizing the entire company.

The MEC's job was NOT to consider the purchase price of the stock. That is the job of the BOD. The MEC only concerned itself with condition that SKW put on the purchase of getting rid of scope and the holding letter in the pilot's contract.

If XJT would have given the 69 aircraft back they would have furloughed about 700 pilots starting in January of 2007. XJT would have also lost any leverage they had on CAL in negotiating a new CPA and it would have given a competitor 69 aircraft to do the flying it was previously doing.

Last edited:
Had Skywest bought Expressjet you would be reading the same press release. No more Delta flying, termination of branded and furloughs. Minor details would be different, but the same none the less. Continental wanted a less expensive CPA and Jerry wanted them out of SLC and LAX, they achieved that without spending a penny. You guys got stuck between a rock and a hard place. Good luck going forward. These are not the best of times for any of us.

Forgot one minor point though. If XJT pilots would not have given into becoming more "cost competitive" SKW would have taken the rest of the CAL flying.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but from the DAL press release and media Q&A, SKW is only replacing the 15 XJT departures out of SLC.

And that does what? XJT still doesn't own them and still has to pay lease on them. CAL still got you guys to underbid everyone. Branded is closing, 500+ furloughed, JR got put in his place, and stock is 1/18th of what it was a year ago... But you've got the A/C. Or you think you do. XJT still doesn't own them.

I'm not sure anyone wants to actually own any 50 seaters. I think that a lease is probably better right now. But to answer your question, XJT now can bid on flying without the most favored nation clause, can fly into CAL's hub airports, and can buy or be bought without having to get consent from CAL. XJT also gets lower lease payments and any aircraft that are parked are paid for by CAL. Also, XJT has first rights on any parked aircraft.

I'm not sure anyone wants to actually own any 50 seaters. I think that a lease is probably better right now. But to answer your question, XJT now can bid on flying without the most favored nation clause, can fly into CAL's hub airports, and can buy or be bought without having to get consent from CAL. XJT also gets lower lease payments and any aircraft that are parked are paid for by CAL. Also, XJT has first rights on any parked aircraft.

In these times, that sounds like a forward-thinking arrangement for the xjet management. It is a shame that the rates for service are not high enough to cover current pilot wages, but it sounds like there are plenty of other perks that will secure a future for Xjet. Any details on early termination of the contract by CAL?

In these times, that sounds like a forward-thinking arrangement for the xjet management. It is a shame that the rates for service are not high enough to cover current pilot wages, but it sounds like there are plenty of other perks that will secure a future for Xjet. Any details on early termination of the contract by CAL?

The New CPA removes Continental's ability to terminate the agreement without cause.

Continental can still terminate the New CPA for cause or for our material breach (in most cases, which remains uncured for 90 days after we receive notice of the breach). Several additional events that constitute material breach were added to the New CPA, including (i) our failure to complete (with certain exclusions) more than 97.5% of our scheduled flights for any two consecutive months, (ii) our failure to depart on time (with certain exclusions) for more than 82.5% of our scheduled flights for any 60 consecutive days, (iii) a non-carrier specific grounding of the type of aircraft we fly and (iv) change of control.

We retain our ability to terminate the New CPA if Continental materially breaches it.

Wrong, SKW was asking for bigger concessions in order to become "cost competitive" to keep the CAL flying or lose all of it to SKW. CAL wanted savings on the magnitude that SKW was offering so it is safe to assume that is what CAL got from an independent XJT.

Which is why i do not see profits for Xjet is the future unless they can become more "cost competitive".

They gave CAL a number to secure the bid but have only recently begun to announce strategies to change their cost structure ie furlough to be able to make that number a reality. Im sure more cuts are probably coming too.

Too bad neither management team couldn't raise the bar and decided a furlough is not an effective way to change cost structure.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back