Expressjet announcement today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream-Pinnacle-Air Tran.....Now it's time to hold the line.......:laugh:

PCL_128???? Who is that? That loudmouth a$$ has been ignored for so long now. He even has topped GL for having to spout on every topic on every forum. I think you'll even find him on the ultralights and helicopter forums!

And those pilots were wrong to do so. I would rather watch my company cease to exist than give them one red cent from my paycheck. I don't pay for fuel, but I will pay for the right seat and will happily swing gear and say,"sir,yes,sir".
G....U....L....F....S....T....R....E....A....M....?

Your profile depicts you as a bro FO. You can make more money, and repay those loans quicker at many, many other jobs. You can't really call this a profession anymore, thanks to short-sighted sell-outs like yourself.

Wow. I don't know what to do other than laugh, and reply that I haven't really been in the industry long enough to "sell out" on anything. I got a pay raise a few months back. That was pretty cool. Another one coming pretty soon for my anniversary and then another one in January '09. Is that your definition of selling out?

As far as finding other jobs, that's definitely my intention. However, I do have some "dues to pay" first. Just trying to work my way up the ladder, just like everyone else. Is that your definition of being short-sighted?

Trying to keep this a job worth having is hardly a luxury. Those that cavalierly dismiss and cast aside the gains and sacrifices of those that came before them are the problem.

I agree with your premise, but disagree with your application. Sometimes, conditions in the economy are so hostile, that a "job worth having," is any job, and the fact that it is doing something that you like and are good at is icing on the cake. I've got to tell you that I fear we are approaching those times--the times when having a flying job, period, is a luxury. And you speak of "sacrifices" of people in the past. Tell me, what did they do to make those sacrifices that we might have jobs now? Take pay cuts? Our view of this situation is so unbelievably different. You are entrenched in your mindset of "us vs. management" and you "can't let them win." I look at it as "we are all in this same boat together, including rampers, FAs, managment, ticket agents, etc., so lets keep it floating!"

"...cavalierly dismiss and cast aside gains..."

Pardon my editorial laugh, but HAH HAH. Yeah, thanks a ton. If the state of the industry today is due to the actions of pilot groups in the past (as if they had that kind of influence and control), then I personally have no one to thank but you guys who have been in the industry. I just got here, I haven't had a chance to mess anything up yet. So I will sarcastically say "Nice going. You guys did a bang-up job."

This line of thinking begets scabs. Swap out "take a pay cut" with "cross a picket line"

Oh, you guys love to throw that "scab" term around. "So and so is a "scab" for doing this." "All SkyWest pilots are "scabs" for voting down ALPA." You are only a scab if you cross a picket line and fly struck work. That's all. Nothing more. To apply it to something else begets failed union drives because it suggests that all union hotheads are full of hatred and greed and otherwise devoid of reason.

Obviously Solidarity does not strike a chord with you.

It would if it actually meant something. From what I've observed so far, the term "solidarity" is a euphemism for the "what's mine is mine, and what's yours is also mine" mentality. No thanks. You can keep your union buzzwords. I prefer terminology that is truthful.

The sooner the better.

Yes, the sooner I get out of an industry where the old eat the young in the name of "solidarity," and where there is such an inflated sense of enititlement, the better. Not to mention all the other things that make this job challenging--the time away, the weekends and holidays, the relatively low pay (thanks again!), etc. I love my work as an airline pilot, but in so many ways, it's untenable for an entire career. But sometimes, you've just got to pay your dues. You have to work your way up. It can't all be handed to you at once.

So long as you get yours huh?

Yes, I suppose so. But let's define "mine." I would like a house with luxury features such as electricity and flush toilets. Beyond that, it's all just gravy. I've thought about trying to get the government to buy me one of those, but I don't think its going to happen. Maybe my sense of entitlement is insufficient.

Really, so many people out there have so little. I don't think we do a good enough job being thankful for what we have. In a troubled economy, I'm just glad to have a job, and a chance to continue to climb the ladder.

-Goose

P.S. If I didn't tell you before, you have one of the funniest avatars on flightinfo. I really get a kick out of it!

Last edited:
I'm sorry you don't have management that knows how to make a profit and treat people well....that must suck....I understand why you are unhappy....

I'll give you that they know how to make profit (at their employees expense ;)) but they made it abundantly clear how they would have treated XJT pilots.

Latest resources

Back