• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Express Jet called

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Having worked for both carriers, let me tell you, this is a case of the grass is greener. The difference is night and day between the two airlines. One is run like a 50 pilot, 10 plane operation (even though they have over 4 times as many) and the other is run like a true airline. You will realize this on the 31st of the month and your next month schedule isn't out yet or when you're doing your 10th 3 am Part 91 ferry.

When I read that you turned it down, my first thought was DUDE?!

Secret Squirrel said:
Jerkin gear? Are you serious or just being an ass...etc., etc., etc....

Talk about being an ass... he said he had an INTERVIEW with XJ, not a JOB.

Is it so hard to believe that someone might turn down an interview with XJ because they are happy with another choice?

ERfly said:
Having worked for both carriers, let me tell you, this is a case of the grass is greener. The difference is night and day between the two airlines. One is run like a 50 pilot, 10 plane operation (even though they have over 4 times as many) and the other is run like a true airline. You will realize this on the 31st of the month and your next month schedule isn't out yet or when you're doing your 10th 3 am Part 91 ferry.

When I read that you turned it down, my first thought was DUDE?!

Me too. I flew the 1900 at Colgan and am now at Comair. As far as QOL and airline operations, absolutely night and day. Ofcourse the $38/hour 2nd year pay doesn't hurt either. I can appreciate a "quick upgrade", but, well, to go WHERE??? A Saab or B190 skipper will be doing the goatrope at Colgan for YEARS before they have enough prop time to be considered competitive for Southwest/Airtran/Jetblue. Prepare for a Colgan career.

Chosen One said:
A Saab or B190 skipper will be doing the goatrope at Colgan for YEARS before they have enough prop time to be considered competitive for Southwest/Airtran/Jetblue. Prepare for a Colgan career.

That may be true for SWA and JB, but Air Tran seems to love the B1900 or Saab "prop" drivers. They hire 'em in droves. I have an idea why, but I'll just leave it at that.

msk2468 said:
I hear what you are saying about qol etc... but I was just hired into the saab and the upgrade is currently about a year and a half and the second year captain pay is 42/hour which equal to a ninth year expressJet FO. So there is an upside

Upside??? What upside? You are a captain making an FO wage at another regional airline.

FlyChicaga said:
Upside??? What upside? You are a captain making an FO wage at another regional airline.

Yeah a nine year FO. In a year and a half one could (possibly) be making 42/hour instead of 23-32/hour somewhere else as an fo. Pretty complicated huh? I haven't worked there, I am just looking at the bright side. Comair/express jet etc....arent exactly beating down everyone's doors down. Its still competitive out there because guys with 121 experience are still jumping around and not necessarily up. One has to start somewhere. I waited the four months for express Jet and right around when they called is when they decided you need prior 135/121 experience as stated in the email sent out to many guys with a lot of time. Colgan is 121 last time I checked. Its real easy to knock things from a cushy position, but a man's gotta do.....well we'll see.

I.P. Freely

I said he was an idiot for considering an F.O. job as jerking gear. If that is all you do at Colgan than you earn every penny of that 12 grand a year. People are always bringing up Colgan as a dangerous place with unsafe mx. If all things considered Colgan is where he is happy than that is great. It just seems like a short sighted choice to me. And maybe you should read posts before responding.

ASS

SS

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back