expletive-laden banter in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sticky said:
Right.... If they had just said words like "freakin", "shoot", and "gosh darn it" this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

No...but it reflects on the professionalism and discipline of the crew, which was obviously lacking.

NoPax said:
No...but it reflects on the professionalism and discipline of the crew, which was obviously lacking.

professionalism, Nah.....discipline, definitely........I cuss and tell jokes all the time at work.....as long as someone's paying attention, and nooone's doing stoopid crap during approaches, etc. etc., it's all in good fun. The discipline part comes in where they should have noticed that fatigue and flight conditions could cause some bad things....

Professionalism...yes!

When was the last time you went to a doctor and heard him/her use foul language going about their business?

Language used reflects on the professionalism and manner of the crew or company. I once had a chief flight instructor that would curse all the time, and I had a number of students that commented that any other professional field this would not be tolerated.

It's terrible they label these pilots this way. Especially that they are deceased. Shame on you (federal investigators) for bringing something like this to the surface. We all curse and complain about things all day in the cockpit. And I know for a fact that the (federal investigators) do the same in there little cubicles too!!

all the expletives and non stop joking just meant that the crew was a good pair and got along!!

A few years ago (after the investigation of ValuJet in the Everglades, I believe) some individual wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper decrying the use of explitives during the emergency and immediately before impact. "What kind of people do we have flying airplanes?"

We are not insurance salesmen or doctors or lawyers or haberdashers. We are pilots. This profession does not attract the same type of individuals as the above jobs (or any other job for that matter).

To do what we do requires a certain strength of character which manifests itself in a variety of ways--the foremost being an extreme zest for life. We are people who generally live life to its fullest and, when around other pilots, laugh too loud, tell off-color jokes and generally act like junior high boys (that includes the female pilots, too--although they don't like to admit it ;) ).

Those of us so afflicted turn this off when around non-pilots but it exists in most of us. The only time the non-pilot population is exposed to this is when CVR tapes are given to the press. (Most journalists are sodden drunks who tend to be cynical and melancholy and incapable of understanding us.) The rest of the time we keep our tendencies to ourselves.

I am generalizing, of course. We do have our share of less-than-colorful individuals (who would fit in perfectly in the world of insurance sales) but on the whole, I believe my above characterization is correct.TC

AA717driver said:
A few years ago (after the investigation of ValuJet in the Everglades, I believe) some individual wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper decrying the use of explitives during the emergency and immediately before impact. "What kind of people do we have flying airplanes?"

During an emergency, If you are gold wings exempt, you CAN cuss. It's in the regs. During a normal approach, you can only cuss, if you are gold wings exempt and a non gold wings exempt crew member helped you miss an altitude or fly through the final approach course.

I don't have a cockpit voice recorder and we only have the one engine and will die a lonely death if all hell breaks loose. If it looks like I'm going to become a mineral, you can bet the ATC tapes are going to have all 7 of the words George Carlin said you can't say on television. None of that mushy, "tell my wife I love her!" crap...cause you know her and her next husband are going to be enjoying that insurance check and civil judgement settlement. Yea, he'll be saying, "Man, your deceased husband had nice toys!"

If I gotta go out, I'm going out cussing.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
If it looks like I'm going to become a mineral, you can bet the ATC tapes are going to have all 7 of the words George Carlin said you can't say on television. None of that mushy, "tell my wife I love her!" crap...cause you know her and her next husband are going to be enjoying that insurance check and civil judgement settlement. Yea, he'll be saying, "Man, your deceased husband had nice toys!"

If I gotta go out, I'm going out cussing.
Yeah, what he said!!!! Man, that was funny... almost shot coffee from my nose again.

You guys crack me up! Add in the Marine Wings of Gold, we sometimes cuss when things line up perfectly. It's amazing how many uses you can get out of one word. My transition to the civ sector is going to be a painful one. Crunchr

Latest resources

Back