• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

expletive-laden banter in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
May have been some issues in what should have been "sterile cockpit" areas. Having read the transcript I know that most of the joking went on in cruise.

Ignorance is bliss for the high-paid scribblers and
talking heads of the media. I would like to have
a colorful transcript of some editor on his cell
phone on the way to/from work...I'll bet that's
a laugh a minute...'specially if he rear-ended a
tanker truck on the freeway!

Except that media outlet would just mourn,
cry out how wonderful the dude was and etc.!!!

Shame on the Media for not picking up on the NTSB's clear "sterile cockpit" explaination, or that most of the flight fell outside that realm.

Shame on them for not noting that some of the chatter was probably to help stay concious after the gruling day the crew had put in.

Shame on the NTSB for criticizing the current and
more than adequate regulations concerning non-
precision approaches. They work just fine if you do it right. Shame also for not clarifying the technical
errors in the press release and harping on difficult to quantify things like joking and fatigue.

Shame on the FAA for allowing duty regs that put
worn-out crews shooting approaches. Shame on
airlines for objecting to duty reg changes that would promote safety of flight!

And shame on the FAA and the NTSB for not
seeing the giant yard light on the final approach
that might have suckered the crew into
descending early...(I excrement thee not!)...

I would like an un-censored copy of the CVR tape
myself. Some of it sounded really good...especially the cruise phase stuff!

Rest in Peace my friends...

Last edited:
AA717driver said:
We are not insurance salesmen or doctors or lawyers or haberdashers. We are pilots. This profession does not attract the same type of individuals as the above jobs (or any other job for that matter).

I have been in business for twenty years. I can assure you, cussing is part of the deal in working in American business. Everyone cusses, males and females alike. Why should pilots be held to a different standard? I am sure that even a priest at the controls of a business jet that was on fire and going down would use some very colorful language.

AND, we like hot chicks in avatars! Props to lowtimedriver... :D TC

I had something really bad to say about all of these guys that are cursing in the cockpit................................................................................................

Aw S&*T..............................................I forgot what it was.....................

most commonly heard comment in the cockpit.

"What the F&#ck is it doing now?"
"Or where the F*#CK are we going now?"

I think that is standard for me.

Diesel said:
most commonly heard comment in the cockpit.

"What the F&#ck is it doing now?"
"Or where the F*#CK are we going now?"

I think that is standard for me.

Must be something to do with people from the NE ??? I wasn't that bad until I spent a year living up there.

I used to fly with some guys that would substitute some lame a$$ terms for popular expletive laden phrases. For example, instead of "just for s&*ts and grins" it was "for kicks and country corn flakes...."

To which I would reply, "WTF did you just say???" :D

NoPax said:
Professionalism...yes!
When was the last time you went to a doctor and heard him/her use foul language going about their business?

Never, just because doctors cuss behind closed doors, just like we do. It would be another thing if the crew swung the cockpit door open, and started yelling, "watch this fucking crap....."

Language used reflects on the professionalism and manner of the crew or company. I once had a chief flight instructor that would curse all the time, and I had a number of students that commented that any other professional field this would not be tolerated

crap happens, and words are blurted out....some people blurt more often than others.....I'll be the media would blush if they heard how our military boys converse out in the desert in Iraq....

Latest resources

Back