• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expired Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I would agree with Choppy that he should probably self diclose it, although it seems easy just not to tell anybody. I would imagine they would find out if he put that he had flown ~200 hrs in the last 6 months... I mean the FAA is busy but their computer systems will catch it.

CB

Your friend may want to spend the money to join AOPA and consult their legal services before he does anything. You never know what kind of mood ol Chip is in at the FSDO and he could decide to fry his a$$. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened to someone and they may have a better answer for him then anyone here on Flightinfo.com.

I would definetely seek some kind of legal opinion before he says anything. They technically could revoke any certificates of pilots that your friend endorsed for checkrides, etc. since he technically couldnt act as a PIC when he needed to for those specific dual lessons.

Last edited:
You don't need a medical to instruct, however, if you were the PIC, self disclose. A freind of mine lost his medical due to surgery for one year. He was one teaching MO, but no student pilots, no initial multi students. Also, I may be wrong, but, I don't think the logged time in the last sixmonths will raise a red flag, but consult an attorney/AOPA legal staff first. Good luck!

If the students could all have acted as PIC of their instructional aircraft--say, if the instructor was doing CFI training, acro training, tailwheel, high performance, complex, etc., but no private training or initial multi-engine training or anything like that--then he was perfectly legal to teach with no medical at all. Yes, for money.
Don't forget one more - no instrument training where the CFI needs to be a safety pilot. Just a minor nit, but people are forever forgetting that a CFI needs to have a medical when acting as PIC or as a required crewmember

BTW, the recommendation to consult an aviation attorney is a good one.

An aviation attorney is a good place to go.

A NASA form is another good thing to do.

Maybe sitting down and figuring out how many hours were dual given to non-PIC students and solo flights might be a good exercise. And were any of those lessons in ultralights or LSAs?

But a CFI without a medical can still instruct, get paid, and log flight time without raising any red flags.

Don't do it again.

A NASA form is another good thing to do.

I don't see how a NASA form would be applicable to the situation, lawyer is probably the best advice. Even if it did you need to file it within 10 days of the incident and be able to prove it.

"The operations covered by the program include departure, en route, approach, and landing operations and procedures, air traffic control procedures and equipment, crew and air traffic control communications, aircraft cabin operations, aircraft movement on the airport, near midair collisions, aircraft maintenance and recordkeeping, and airport conditions or services".

So NASA didn't say 'include but are not limited to. . ." It's free and doesn't get revealed to anyone except if a criminal activity (flying without a medical is not) or accident is reported.

What a dumb s**t!
Better off leaving this one alone. It opens a whole can of worms if the Feds get a whiff of it. If he was not legal to fly during any of his flight instructions, many of his students may be affected.
If he recommended a student pilot for a rating ride while he was illegal, for example, the student's certificate might be invalid as well, and so on.
Bury this one in a deep hole and cross your fingers that anyone who knows keeps their mouth shut.
The FAA medical branch cares less what you do after you get your medical certificate. Fly or don't fly, doesn't matter to them.
Also shame on any FBO that was using this guy and not knowing the status of his certificates.

The NASA report is a good idea for sure.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back