• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Experts predict Comair may be sold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not a question of if it's only a question of when and how DAL will spinoff it's wholly owned.

Institutional ownership at DAL exceeds the average. 81% of DAL is owned by institutions, that's 10% greater than the average airline and 17% more than the average S&P 500 company. When the institutions talk, the BOD and CEO listen, and the institutions are beginning to question why DAL owns the equity in some of its regional feed, when it can get the same service from others without owning the equity.

"UBS analyst Sam Buttrick pointed out Delta doesn't need to own the airlines to continue using them to connect to points around the country. Delta could contract with Atlantic Southeast and Comair as it did before buying them. "

"The economic benefit could be maintained without maintaining the equity position," he said

"Analyst Raymond Neidl of Blaylock & Partners thinks Delta will ultimately sell one or both of the regional carriers to raise money. He noted rivals Northwest and Continental airlines have done the same. "

"I think they're going to do that at the end of the day," he said. "There's no reason for them to hold on to them."

The only real questions are which goes first, ASA or CMR, and will DAL sell off all the equity or part of the equity.

Certainly, small jet lift is important, but there are a host of vendors available to provide that lift, there really is no need for DAL to own ASA/CMR, when it can get the same service without owning the companies. There is no expectation that DAL will ever recoup the billions spent to own ASA/CMR, just another poor business decision, but the liquidity the sale would bring, without the loss of small jet lift, makes sense.

Last edited:
According to the 2003 annual report DAL has the following contractual obligations:

2004 $ 4.038 bil
2005 $ 4.284 bil
2006 $ 3.868 bil
2007 $ 2.993 bil
2008 $ 2.998 bil

For an airline with over $13 billion in revenues a year I fail to see any dire need for cash or any reasonable excuse to mention BK escept in an effort to win concessions. Additionally, the debt owed above is artificially high due to the fact that it includes aircraft deliveries that are going to be leased or sold to third party.

As for filing with 1bil or 2 bil in the bank as was mentioned earlier I find that very hard to believe. I remember UAL was watching there liquid position and filed around 200mil. When you know that you are going to file and start looking for DIP fincancing any cash you have in your pocket is gone. Too say DAL would piss away 1 bil prior to the start of restructing seems extreme.

My humble opinion. AMR saved billions in labor costs over the next 7 years with the threat of BK. DAL wants some of that action. Do you really think that DAL wants to be in the position UAL currently is in, unable to even exit restructuring, while aitran and jblu, and virgin usa and whomever else attacks. I don't buy it for a second. They need to find a new playbook, we have seen this hand over and over and over and over and over and over.

Stay seated,

The 7% difference is the pay CHQ receives from Delta that covers CHQ's profit margins. Remember, its not just about cost, but how much profit the company is making. Actually 7% was a very conservative number. Here are the 2003 Operating margins of some of the better-known fee for departure regionals:

Skywest - 12.2%
ACA - 15.7%
Expressjet - 13.8%
Pinnacle - 14.0%
Mesa - 8.8%

I would conservatively say CHQ is at or above 10%.

I would predict, however, that both Delta management and Comair pilots will get a chance to see how an IPO would work by watching it happen at ASA first.

Lear70,

I really don't know much about Pinnacle, other than it was recently IPO'd at NW and they made some money--in the range of $300-400 million. Also, when I said that we could do that to Comair or ASA---I never said that we wouldn't still use them for feed--I actually gave a Skywest example--giving them a 10 year flying contract. I think the only major difference would be the extra cash in Delta's tight pockets.....

Sleepy,

I have a feeling Dalpa and the company will come to an agreement before then---Grinstein probably doesn't want to give up control to a judge.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

bvt1151 said:
Stay seated,

The 7% difference is the pay CHQ receives from Delta that covers CHQ's profit margins. Remember, its not just about cost, but how much profit the company is making. Actually 7% was a very conservative number. Here are the 2003 Operating margins of some of the better-known fee for departure regionals:

Skywest - 12.2%
ACA - 15.7%
Expressjet - 13.8%
Pinnacle - 14.0%
Mesa - 8.8%

I would conservatively say CHQ is at or above 10%.

I would predict, however, that both Delta management and Comair pilots will get a chance to see how an IPO would work by watching it happen at ASA first.

Good points. both ASA and Comair have lower operating costs than any of these airlines (around $.06 per seat mile). I am sure that we also are more profitable to DAL than any of the codeshare partners used by DCI. Why else would they give ASA the 25 additional aircraft if they could make more money with them at Chit or Skywest?

As for spinning-off ASA, I wounder how ASA could go it alone. We only have about three GPU's that work in ATL. All of our baggage service and maintenance on GSE is contracted out to DAL. In fact, I don't think ASA really owns a single asset. We probably rent the new chairs in the crew lounges from DAL. Over time, we have become more and more entangled with DAL (payroll, GSE, reservations, medical insurance, travelnet, computer services, baggage service, etc...), it will be interesting to watch our management untangle the mess they have made.

General Lee said:
Lear70,

I really don't know much about Pinnacle, other than it was recently IPO'd at NW and they made some money--in the range of $300-400 million. Also, when I said that we could do that to Comair or ASA---I never said that we wouldn't still use them for feed--I actually gave a Skywest example--giving them a 10 year flying contract. I think the only major difference would be the extra cash in Delta's tight pockets.....

Sleepy,

I have a feeling Dalpa and the company will come to an agreement before then---Grinstein probably doesn't want to give up control to a judge.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

General,

I seriously wonder how much GG cares? Why wouldn't he take the 20% you offered now. Why counter you with 36% (more than the original 30% he asked for?).

He has nothing to lose in a bankruptcy filing. If he goes into Ch 11, he can make adjustments to your PWA that will have an impact on DAL's costs for 12 years or longer. If he makes a deal outside of CH 11, he cannot get those kinds of changes.

My neighbor is a Bankruptcy Attorney with a BIG ATL law firm that has done work for DAL in the past. Without giving me any specific information, he indicated to me in a recent conservation that the DAL Ch11 filing is coming soon.

Sleepy,

I am glad he knows that---maybe he was telling you to short the stock. DL cannot just go into Chap 11----devaluing the stock to almost worthless, and then change contracts. There would be huge lawsuits, especially if there is still plenty of cash and loads and operating profits are up. I am sure your lawyer friend would love to work on that case---it would probably allow him to buy three more houses in your neighborhood. Take a look at the analysts---they don't think Chap 11 is possible for a year or two---without concessions. But, they do think you will be spun off. Even Grinstein himself just stated in the stockholders guide that was just sent out that he thought he would not have to bring it to Chap 11. Also, I think he does care---he is 71 and he just moved himself and his wife from SEA to ATL---and I have heard that she wasn't too happy about it. He doesn't want to do all of this and then lose control.

Bye Bye--General Lee :rolleyes:

StaySeated said:
According to the 2003 annual report DAL has the following contractual obligations:

2004 $ 4.038 bil
2005 $ 4.284 bil
2006 $ 3.868 bil
2007 $ 2.993 bil
2008 $ 2.998 bil

For an airline with over $13 billion in revenues a year I fail to see any dire need for cash or any reasonable excuse to mention BK escept in an effort to win concessions. Additionally, the debt owed above is artificially high due to the fact that it includes aircraft deliveries that are going to be leased or sold to third party.

As for filing with 1bil or 2 bil in the bank as was mentioned earlier I find that very hard to believe. I remember UAL was watching there liquid position and filed around 200mil. When you know that you are going to file and start looking for DIP fincancing any cash you have in your pocket is gone. Too say DAL would piss away 1 bil prior to the start of restructing seems extreme.

UAL had about 1 Billion in the bank when they filed. You can NOT wait until your down to 200 million to file. If an airline waits that long, it won't be a CH11 reorganization, but instead a CH 7 liquidation. As DL stands today, they can NOT service all of the debt coming due in the next three years. If DL does not get its house in order, BK will happen by no later than Summer '05 (barring something major like USAirways collapses).

Selling off Comair/ASA would buy DL a little time, but it would do little to solve DL's problems. DL needs to make money (and not just lame "operating profits" which are meaningless) and be a competitive carriers. Right now, DL is NOT competitive.

The ONLY reason General Lee (or DALPA) want to see Comair/ASA sold off is because it buys them a few extra months of "industry leading" pay. Beyond that, selling Comair/ASA will not solve DL's problems.

Heed the warning from the ex-TWA guy:

"It would be a Band-aid," said Paul Biederman, a professor at New York University and former Trans World Airlines chief economist. "It's what we did at TWA -- we just sold off assets until we didn't have anything."

While taking a crap in cal's Hq mens room I heard someone say merger talks were starting between CAL and DAL...I hope not!!!! The big boys merge then shrink and start merging flights which could lead to a slow down at the regionals...DAL would sell comair just to use "cheaper" skywest...

It gets really old relying on the the majors for a lifestyle or job security while working for the "regional (that goes international)!!!!

Last edited:
I was but a YOUNG lad back then, but after reading Hard Landing and Flying the Line Vol. II, it looks to me like the shadow of Frank Lorenzo is weighing on DAL management.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... DALPA needs to go on a PR offensive, telling the media just how much money Delta would save by accepting the pay cuts ALPA has previously offered. They need to publicly question why management continues to let the airline bleed instead of taking proactive steps already on the table to get the company back into the black.

Average Joe sees the Delta pay scale in the media compared to AAL and UAL, then to JetBlue and SWA and wonder why you guys are paid so much. You need to tell them why, and how much you are willing to give up for the company to survive, but that you aren't a concession stand! Win the PR battle and you win the war!

Latest resources

Back